The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the neverending quest to talk about something, anything, until the cars arrive :D I thought I'd voice my guess that the Elise will be a terrible car to wash. Sure it's small, but what a myriad of nooks and crannys to hold water and then dribble it all over when you go out for the next drive. Some cars dry up right nice but I'll bet the Elise isn't one of them. Sigh. The price we pay.....no cupholders, no navigation, no cruise control......oh yes, no cars............and streaks in an otherwise clean car. If there were any cars.

Arefog
#18 Ferrari of Denver

·
Registered
113 Posts
Actually not too bad.

The black vents are a little fiddly. Especially the ones on the side intakes which are textured and capture dirt a little. Black intakes on front and engine bay are smooth and wipe clean quite easily.

The soft pads on the brakes cause a lot of brake dust but the wheels are relatively simple to clean - not too many odd angles.

Worst thing is that we are currently facing drought conditions in Sydney.
Consequently, we are only allowed to wash cars with a bucket!

·
Registered
758 Posts
"Consequently, we are only allowed to wash cars with a bucket!"

We get droughts too .. but we're still allowed to use water. must be hard washing a car with a bucket ...

How do you wash a soft-top ? I've never owned one ...

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Is there anything special to do when washing the engine cover grill at the back? I can't imagine it would be a smart idea to just start hosing it down and soaking the engine. Even if the engine is used to feeling the rain.

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, most ArmorAll products (at least in the past) had petroleum distillates that dry out the interior plastics over time. They also produce an unnatural shine that's slippery (from the petroleum). Low sheen protectors like 303 Aerospace protectant work better IMO.

But the best product is still the one you like to use. Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I have always used armor all on my dash and the like - but have heard that it can dry out material too. Has anybody ever had adverse affects of using armor all? I have heard that it can do damage but have never seen it or known anyone that has.

If so what do you guys/gals recommend as a good alternative product? (and not some 50.00 designer product!)

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Donovan said:
I have always used armor all on my dash and the like - but have heard that it can dry out material too. Has anybody ever had adverse affects of using armor all? I have heard that it can do damage but have never seen it or known anyone that has.

If so what do you guys/gals recommend as a good alternative product? (and not some 50.00 designer product!)
say no to armor all :(

as vantage said:

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
Sometimes, depending on where you live. You might try their website for retail locations or I can suggest online retailers. I bet our forum sponsor, Detailing Paradise, caries 303 but I have yet to check.

ArmorAll is a very popular product. I've heard of people getting in accidents over dressing the tire tread and pedals. :confused:

http://www.303products.com/main.php?infopage=protectant

http://www.303products.com/main.php?infopage=retailersearch

I think the Elise will be easy to wash, but I hear when you warm the radiator steam comes out. :) Buy plenty of microfiber waffle weave towels (or cotton if you prefer) and an air compressor if you need it as atyclb suggests.

Probably the toughest parts about detailing/washing the Elise will be: 1) not wanting to do it, because you are having so much fun driving it and 2) keeping the leather conditioned and protected against the harsh sun that a convertible exposes its interior to frequently. Then again, we'll see when I have more than speculation to write!

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Armor All - Worst product ever. Dries out material.

I use Maguier's Vinyl & Rubber - Good product.

For my non-daily driver cars I use a bucket to wash the cars and no soap, etc. One cotton hand towel in the bucket to wash with and a cotton bath towel to dry. My cars have better towels than I do in the bathroom.

Wash and dry one panel at a time. Use alittle Maguiers Final Inspection (I use the Zymol product) and you get a great shine on a properly waxed car.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Just as an FYI, AmourAll has been reformulated and they now claim that it doesn't dry out and doesn't turn tires brown over time. I don't know if it is true or not, but at least that is their claim. I too use 303.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,105 Posts
Donovan said:
Has anybody ever had adverse affects of using armor all?
I used to use ArmorAll to the detriment of my first new car. It turned all the exterior black plastic grey. I'll never use it again.

Black Again seems to work well. I also use Vinylex.

BTW: I bought some stuff from Detailer's Paradise. Their 100% Cotton Chenille Wash Mitt is very soft. I think it'll do wonders on all those nooks and crannies on the Elise...

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
Armorall was recently reformulated.

It's now *great*. In fact "Armor All Original" (which is NOT the original formula!) came in #1 out of 54 products for tire dressing in recent The Guru Reports tests. "Minimal sling...deep, black, matte finish with just a hint of shine...better at resisting debris and water...lack of petroleum products...same familiar milky white solution.

And their Tire Foam won the best one-step product category.

Some of the Editor's preferred Eagle One Satin Finish, and Zaino Tire dressing.

Eagle One's "all wheel cleaner A2Z" topped the wheel cleaner category. It also won the tire cleaner category, only beaten by the now-discontinued Eagle One tire cleaner.

For one-brand-only shoppers the Eagle One brand is great for cleaners/dressing.

Prior reports found the best synthetic / long lasting wax to be Zaino. But the best normal life wax was P21S. Which is available as S100 from Harley Davidson dealers for $15. If your car is clean, P21S/S100 goes on, then can be immediately wiped off, just like detailing spray. 2 Month life, show car look. Funny thing about Zaino - it's high point is life, but the Zaino converts keep adding new layers. For the same effort they could use P21S/S100 and get a nicer appearance. Zaino would be a better choice for wheel waxing as it's longer life and higher temperature resistance would help make brake dust removal very easy for a longer time.

Stan

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
In that test I mentioned before, 303 came in 15th out of 54. Lasted about a week on tires, less blackening than some others. Crummy availabilty and price. I'ved used it and liked it though.

Stan

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
zOOmz said:
I always put ArmourAll on my black plastic thingies like vents. They wash cleaner faster and the black thingies stay black and don't become oxidized.

I use to be a real fanatic with my MR2. I would get up before work and give my baby a *sponge bath*. It was shining all the time. A labor of love. Now it gets the drive through car wash.

I am so ashamed!!

:D

I think I would be worse with the Elise. And the nook and crannies are part of the romance, no? Well, maybe not..

z
If you must use an outside car-wash then make sure it is a 'Touchless', not simply a 'brushless'
system. This will save you from the 'swirl-ies' appearing on your finish.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts