The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i recently removed the carpet from my trunk, under my seats, and on my side sills. the carpet on the side sills is held on by a bunch of velcro. i took all the velcro off and it left this really sticky stuff behind. i tried using goo gone on it, but that seemed to just spread it around and make it look worse. Should i try using a razor blade, or would that scratch the aluminum? Any ideas? thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Get a shop towel or any clean towel and wd-40 should do the trick.
Spray wd-40 on towel or on goo and wipe off. After your all finish wipe off any excess wd-40 with another clean towel and water/or windex works.... Yea kinda out there but it works

·
Registered
330 Posts
You can remove the adhesive with a mixture of acetone and toluene (toluol) (1:2) both are available at an ACE hardware or good home supply store. Xylene (xylol) can be substituted for the toluene and actually works better if you can find it. Just don't spill these on any painted or plastic surfaces because the surface will be ruined. Both these solvents are highly flammable so don't smoke or have any ignition sources around when you do this. If the glue's not too old and heat crosslinked your wife's (or gf's) finger nail polish remover may also do the trick.

A.J.

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
rubbing alcohol, rapid remover, 3M wax and adhesive remover, etc.
Unfortunately my carpet was falling out so the dealer squirted a bunch of super glue in behind mine. When I decided to finally take it out talk about a mess. I used aircraft stripper and a plastic razor blade and got most of it off, although a decent amount still remains.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts