1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
This would be better place in the amp/stereo forum.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This would be better place in the amp/stereo forum.
I contemplated that, but it gets much less traffic. And most guys here have amps and such in their cars so I figured I'd try.

If I'm breaking forum rules let me know!

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Well true.. As you may know watts dont mean jack anymore... Look in to the data sheet/manual for it and see how it handles its speaker set ups. More importantly what ohm is it stable to, what are your speakers stable and rated at. Will it do a 5 speaker set up 4 speakers one bridgeable sub ect..

Or maybe just post a link to the manual here.

And most guys here having subs and such in their cars
LOL not really, most of these guys ridicule us for have subs in our cars, more to "point fun" then anything else.

·
Registered
903 Posts
And most guys here having subs and such in their cars
Amps weigh too much!!!

Kidding... I haven't bothered because I can barely hear the stereo at all. I did pick up some speaker adapter rings for the front but that's likely all I'll do. Like Ulao says you'd find better luck in the Audio section as the people there are actual audiophiles as opposed to the handful that might see it in the general Elise section

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
looks like I found it.

http://www.kicker.com/sites/default/files/2012 CX 5-Channel Amp Rev F.pdf

I'd say go for it. Seems to say 2 ohm's and that is fine if you have a 2ohm sub. If your sub is 4 ohm you dont have a bridge option in this amp that I see and I say scrap the 4ohm sub in that case. It does not say but I'm willing to bet it will do 2 to 16 ohm on each channel. My guess is your speakers are 4. Personally I prefer bridgeable amps. That sub will sound much better at 2 ohms.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
looks like I found it.

http://www.kicker.com/sites/default/files/2012 CX 5-Channel Amp Rev F.pdf

I'd say go for it. Seems to say 2 ohm's and that is fine if you have a 2ohm sub. If your sub is 4 ohm you dont have a bridge option in this amp that I see and I say scrap the 4ohm sub in that case. It does not say but I'm willing to bet it will do 2 to 16 ohm on each channel. My guess is your speakers are 4. Personally I prefer bridgeable amps. That sub will sound much better at 2 ohms.
I'm the idiot who didn't check the manufacturer's site. Work has gotten to my brain today.

I'm just trying to be cost effective with my audio setup. I have the deck and speakers just need a subwoofer and amp!

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Like I said the speaker set up tells the truth. Normally you hook up front then rear then take + sub to rear left + and - sub to rear right -. But since the manual does not mention that I would not bet on it. They may mean bridgeable from amp to amp, or bridging rear and font. But you would want a 4 channel mode then do as I mentioned. Maybe there is a ohm selection on the 5th channel?

Though for the price I think you will be happy.

Here is the back, I dont see an ohm option on that side.

Here is the front, no ohm option but does have a bass boost htz and x-over.

Keep in mind this amp desires 3 inputs. Though again you may get away with bridging the speaker on the rear if you only have two sets of rca's out.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Like I said the speaker set up tells the truth. Normally you hook up front then rear then take + sub to rear left + and - sub to rear right -. But since the manual does not mention that I would not bet on it. They may mean bridgeable from amp to amp, or bridging rear and font.

Though for the price I think you will be happy.
well you know a heck of a lot more than I do about this stuff. I just want the least amount of hardware that I can get. I don't know of any 5 channel amps with the specs you're referring to...that are also not $5-700 lol

God I'm so cheap! It's what allows me to have nice things though. I guess I'll be patient...I mean, my car is still in the shop anyways

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I updated my post with some more info. Make sure to pay attention to the inputs part.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Did you see what I did? Its the best bang and "sound" for the buck. I turned my backs in to 7 inch subs. So I run my fronts off one channel then my back 3(12 + two 7's off of my rear ) Its a simple set up, I use this amp.
Soundstream XTA480.4 (xta4804) 480 watts, 4-Channel Xstream
its old so its hard to find
Soundstream XTA480.4 XStream Amplifier | Overstock.com Shopping - The Best Deals on Car Amplifiers
you can still do 4 speakers with this amp and cross the sub over like I was talking about. Plus the manual shows you how to do it ;)

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
actually the idea of 7 inch subs sounds really awesome! does it "bump" pretty good? I'm not looking for gangster/competition bass, but enough to really hear if I'm in the mood for it.

Did you do a write up or anything? which subs did you use? and why did you also add a 12"? haha

·
Registered
1,004 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
so just the 7" woofers alone probably wouldn't be too good? I can't get the carbon fiber box because of my harness bar.

I think my cheap ways may prevent me from ever getting an enjoyable sound system lol I definitely don't want to pay someone $1,000 to do an install...like I was quoted!!!

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
the two 7's wont offer much. You could get the stealth box. 1k install? Wow I need to do installations then.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
the two 7's wont offer much. You could get the stealth box. 1k install? Wow I need to do installations then.
yeah King Kong Custom....I guess it's a nice shop here that does EVERYTHING from paint to audio. He said it would cost $1,000 to install it all lol

The stealth box is about 5-700 new if someone has one, and about $400 used. Which isn't horrible, it's just that I can get an "average" pioneer, kicker, infiniti or other sub and a smaller box/sub for $300 or less, right?

Maybe I'm just too picky and need to stop searching for the impossible :shrug:

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I dont like the stealth box location, but its the best fit for that location. The other CF box is way better located but yes wont fit with the bar and stops the intrusion alarm. There really are no other option IMO.

The problem with the two 7's is that you have no ported box, so its really loose bass. They work great for mids.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts