The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I know many of your guys have bikes. I saw two guys doing wheelies on the freeway and now I want a bike :coolnana: .
is there such thing as a beginner bike or do I go ahead and get a awesome-superbike to begin with.

Answers to Obvious questions: I've never been on a motorbike, I know how to ride a bicycle, I've also been on a vespa but only one time and I almost crashed on a wall (when I was 13, now I'm 21).

Thanks!

PS - I changed my avatar, so now, the thread cant suddenly be about my "disturbing" back :D.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
I saw two guys doing wheelies on the freeway and now I want a bike :coolnana:
You should follow those guys, wait for them to crash, and then steal their bikes.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Please don't stress out your poor mom. Do everyone a favor and stay off of two wheels.

1) If you think stunting on the highway is awesome (and it can be), it's also very dangerous and inadvertantly putting others (e.g. other folks on the highway around you) at risk should you f*ck up and you and your bike (or parts of either) become road debris/projectiles/obstacles. I have no problem with people stunting so long as they do so at their own, and only their own, peril.

2) Sh*t if you almost crashed on a f*cking Vespa. You will most certainly die on a sportbike. Make sure you're an organ donor first.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Right, so this is going to end up pretty much like.
"flame me", "flame me","dont answer his question", "end of thread", "cool thanks"

I guess its time to turn to real life friends again.

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
IMO, a dual purpose, such as a Yamaha XT225, makes the best starter bike. If you insist on a sportbike, the Kawasaki Ninja 250 is arguably the best choice. Most guys want to jump right into a bigger bike, however, the lighter weight the better for a starter bike.

The motorcycle safety class is a must. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
IMO, a dual purpose, such as a Yamaha XT225, makes the best starter bike.
+1. "Enduro" bikes like that are very easy to drive on the road and make great starters.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don't buy a bike until after you take a rider training course. You'll decide if you really want one.
IMO, a dual purpose, such as a Yamaha XT225, makes the best starter bike. If you insist on a sportbike, the Kawasaki Ninja 250 is arguably the best choice. Most guys want to jump right into a bigger bike, however, the lighter weight the better for a starter bike.

The motorcycle safety class is a must. Good luck!
Cool, so a ligther bike first and then (if/when) get something faster.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
....now I want a bike
I ask this question to a lot of people who say, "I wanna bike":

Do you want one enough that you're willing risk you life for it?

Accepting death as a possible outcome of having a bike is the first question you need to ask yourself. (Yeah, sure you could die from a heart attack but this just adds to the list of things that can kill you and it's not the answer that's important only the consideration of the question).

·
Registered
8 Posts
The Ducati Monster 695 is a great beginner bike. It has a
great riding position and plenty of power. Plus its a Ducati for less
than 9 grand.

·
Registered
712 Posts
+1 on the Ninja 250. Sat on a 250 a while ago and it was very lite and comfortable. Great starter bike. Looks pretty good and my friend said that it was plenty fast. That being said, he later crashed on said bike and broke both his legs and almost died so be careful.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I ask this question to a lot of people who say, "I wanna bike":

Do you want one enough that you're willing risk you life for it?

Accepting death as a possible outcome of having a bike is the first question you need to ask yourself. (Yeah, sure you could die from a heart attack but this just adds to the list of things that can kill you and it's not the answer that's important only the consideration of the question).
Are you my mom is disguise?

But I guess i dont want anything then, I mean if everytime I get in a vehicle I think to myself "I have to go to work" but "Do I want to go to work enough to risk my life" , that a NO everytime. I understand what you're saying and even though I kid around a lot I'm not stupid (atleast not as stupid as the stupid crimincals I saw last night on TV, did anybody see that, sorry I have ADD)

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Are you my mom is disguise?
No, just someone who's ridden "a couple" of sportsbikes since the age 15 in every weather and traffic condtition except snow. ;)

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Right, so this is going to end up pretty much like.
"flame me", "flame me","dont answer his question", "end of thread", "cool thanks"

I guess its time to turn to real life friends again.
No, but if you're going to be easily impressed by stunters on a highway and you have no idea how to ride and you have even crashed a Vespa before and you were even considering a "awesome superbike" as a starter bike.... odds are you're going to hurt yourself and others.

PS: And this topic has been discussed before, SEARCH! :p

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No, just someone who's ridden "a couple" of sportsbikes since the age 15 in every weather and traffic condtition except snow. ;)

So you are my mom! just kidding.
totally get your point, I'll be careful.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No, but if you're going to be easily impressed by stunters on a highway and you have no idea how to ride and you have even crashed a Vespa before and you were even considering a "awesome superbike" as a starter bike.... odds are you're going to hurt yourself and others.

PS: And this topic has been discussed before, SEARCH! :p

OK, Thanks!!

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
I've done snow & ice.
:wave:

It wasn't by choice and the experience positively sucked (Bonneville 750 - no, a real one).
:(

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
oh, a motorcycle.
I thought you meant one of these when I saw the thread pop up.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
I've done snow & ice.
:wave:

It wasn't by choice and the experience positively sucked (Bonneville 750 - no, a real one).
:(
Living in Los Angeles and Phoenix, that stuff is totally unknown to me.

MSPaul, also consider what you want to use the bike for. General driving around, track days, stunting. That will lead you to what type of bike to get: Standard (Susuki SV650) or sport (250/650 Nina etc).

I'd second the motorcycle saftey class because: 1) in most states, you get your license when you pass the class; and 2) they give you the bike to ride. If you decide you don't like riding bikes, then you just walk away with that weekend class. (As opposed to buying a bike then being stuck with it).

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
oh, a motorcycle.
I thought you meant one of these when I saw the thread pop up.
Whats the 0-60 on that one? sure looks "pretty"

Getting back, positively getting the class. I need the bike just for the driving pleasure, nothing more nothing less.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts