The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally bought my first exige it's being delivered next week I need a cover for it. What's a good website or store to get one? I have 6 kids from 9 to 19 years old they have bikes and other kids stuff in the garage I love them but if they scratch my exige I wouldn't be a happy camper. Any covers better then others?

·
** The Enforcer **
7,594 Posts
I finally bought my first exige it's being delivered next week I need a cover for it. What's a good website or store to get one? I have 6 kids from 9 to 19 years old they have bikes and other kids stuff in the garage I love them but if they scratch my exige I wouldn't be a happy camper. Any covers better then others?
A cover isn't going to protect it from scratches. I personally think covers are a waste of time.

San

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
A cover isn't going to protect it from scratches. I personally think covers are a waste of time.

San
With all due respect, I would disagree.

A quality car cover can provide a good degree of protection against scratches. And, if your car is washed prior to covering, and your cover is clean, there is absolutely no reason that a cover will scratch it either.

I’ve purchased over a dozen California Car covers over the last few years. Some of them custom tailored for oddball cars. I’ve even had one black car that I had to keep outdoors for two years since I was out of indoor room, and no one believed it was not garage kept. It was spotless.

A car under a quality cover (quality being very important) will stay virtually as clean as when you put it away, even outdoors. And, as long as you wash the car and secure the cover, wind will not damage it. Tarp clamps and rope are your friend in this instance. Tie it under the car in the front, mid-section and rear. And snug it tight.

California covers are pricey but you get what you pay for. They have a cover for most circumstances.. California Car Cover Company - How to Select a Car Cover

All my covers are Ultraweave which can be washed and dried in my home washer and dryer. However, you may want to look at the Plushweave car cover. According to their site.. “Made of 100% cotton fabric, the Plushweave cover has an added pure cotton flannel lining for paint pampering protection. Its ultra dense construction does a superior job of cushioning against scratches and dings.”

Their covers are also "Guaranteed to never scratch or we will refund or exchange your merchandise."

·
** The Enforcer **
7,594 Posts
With all due respect, I would disagree.

A quality car cover can provide a good degree of protection against scratches. And, if your car is washed prior to covering, and your cover is clean, there is absolutely no reason that a cover will scratch it either.

I’ve purchased over a dozen California Car covers over the last few years. Some of them custom tailored for oddball cars. I’ve even had one black car that I had to keep outdoors for two years since I was out of indoor room, and no one believed it was not garage kept. It was spotless.

A car under a quality cover (quality being very important) will stay virtually as clean as when you put it away, even outdoors. And, as long as you wash the car and secure the cover, wind will not damage it. Tarp clamps and rope are your friend in this instance. Tie it under the car in the front, mid-section and rear. And snug it tight.

California covers are pricey but you get what you pay for. They have a cover for most circumstances.. California Car Cover Company - How to Select a Car Cover

All my covers are Ultraweave which can be washed and dried in my home washer and dryer. However, you may want to look at the Plushweave car cover. According to their site.. “Made of 100% cotton fabric, the Plushweave cover has an added pure cotton flannel lining for paint pampering protection. Its ultra dense construction does a superior job of cushioning against scratches and dings.”

Their covers are also "Guaranteed to never scratch or we will refund or exchange your merchandise."
You should read the first post. If you think a cover is going to prevent a scratch from a bike or another kid's toy, I'd say you're unrealistically optimistic.

You've purchased over a dozen car covers in a few years, so you feel they're worthwhile. I don't. I've got a nice one gathering dust in my closet.

San

·
Less is Better
2,981 Posts
I use an indoor cover when the car is clean and it won't be driven for some time. It keeps it from getting scratched due to incidental contact, keeps garage wanderers (neighbor's kids) from coming up and touching the car and keeps the car from getting dusty.

Sector has very nice products for our cars in general and their covers appear to be nice as well.

Car Covers

Make sure you get one that works for your particular car. Some of the wings on the Exige can make them incompatible with a standard Elise cover.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies I will definitely look up the California covers. I bought a 2008 exige but the rear wing and engine cover is off of a 2010 model so I guess I'll have to get a 2010 exige cover. I would never cover a dirty car I know it would scratch the cap out of it. It probably wouldn't help if a bike fell on it or if a skateboard hit it but if it keeps them from touching it and helps if they brush up against it then it's worth the money to me. You both had good points thanks

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
CCC do a great job. Their custom work to allow for different wings etc is nice. Some are pretty thick and will help keep the scratches away. For $5 you can keep them from putting their ad on the cover.

That said, having our kids and their friends scratch our stuff is a part of life. Believe it or not, when the kid or the pet or other loved ones are gone, those scratches can mean more than the furniture or the floors or the car.

Up to a point :)

·
Registered
347 Posts
You should read the first post. If you think a cover is going to prevent a scratch from a bike or another kid's toy, I'd say you're unrealistically optimistic.

You've purchased over a dozen car covers in a few years, so you feel they're worthwhile. I don't. I've got a nice one gathering dust in my closet.

San
So... You wanna come off that car cover collecting dust. I'll pay shipping.:)

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
my experience with car covers with my elise has been that you can get a good one for 150$-300$ (rough estimate)

or you can get a cheap generic universal one for about 30$ on amazon or equivalent.

They suck, but as long as you keep them as clean as possible, it can reduce some dust and stuff falling onto the the car if its uncovered.

I also think it does provide a little protection from light scratches from lightly brushing past with jacket zippers, backpacks, etc, but definitely won't be able to protect against a sharp metal box corner rubbing right through the thin fabric

·
Less is Better
2,981 Posts
My Elise is like an electromagnet to my two year old. She gets out of my wifes car and runs over to the Lotus, grabbing onto the mirrors, looking in the window, trying to push on the door button and generally touching every possible part of the car. Without the cover, it would be full of scratches from her jacket zippers and whatever toy she's holding at the time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts