The Lotus Cars Community banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An open letter to cyclists from the Rock Store photographer, and a warning about a dangerous NELA bike lane | BikinginLA

I wanted to bring fellow chatters attention about^^^^^ this site "above" and its members.
I'm all for sharing the road and most importantly as a driving enthusiast enjoying the roads in moderation.

However when you have people who drive horrible as bad as they ride their own bicycles, running stop signs,red lights and failing to maintain their side of the road/lane. Someone has to put them in line with their actions. I have yet to see CHP or Sheriff's do this part. I'm not one to stop and have any confrontation with these people as I can have a better conversation with piece of wood.

Cyclist are a moving vehicle and thus need to obey state laws when it comes to Vehicle code book and obey them.

If no one keeps an eye on that site, those are the type of sites that gets laws passes and were left out on our say, so I ask fellow enthusiast make your comment heard on that site. :coolnana: :shift:

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Some of the cyclist are complete bone heads. I've witnessed on many occassion of them intentionally blocking the road then get pissed off when motorists pass them. I used to sympathize with them since I ride. But after some of the stuff I've seen. Screw them.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Do what you need to do. Give them the finger, squirt water, throw small stuff( just small stuff) just don't hurt
Them. Do not try to run them to the side or see how close you can drive by....

I'm a cyclist and try my best to be out of the way. I've taken my fair share of abuse on the road and I've mange to chase some of them in traffic and scratch their car... ...

I still have to pay my moving violation ticket (200 bucks) .

We'd like enjoy the same
Road that cyclist enjoys to.

How about motorcycle. I don't hear
People complaining about them. They can be just as inconsiderate.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
shay2nak
25,083 Posts
I complain more about the motorcylces - harley, stupid hogs than cyclists. Those idiots hold everybody up going like 35-40. Forget it if there are like 5 - 10 of those a-holes. Turn around and drive in the opposite direction. In fact, I don't think I've had an issue with a cyclist. Maybe once going down a hill, but can't remember. Then again I don't even give enough time for anything to happen as usually I drop the hammer to get away from them ASAP.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Good thread. I left some comments on that site. ANY vehicle should get out of the way of another that is overtaking. Too many dickheads on bicycles IMO. I ride a bike on Piuma and associated roads, too, but I keep well out of everyone's way. The regs are very specific and prohibit riding two abreast on public roads in traffic.

·
Monaco Dreamin'
461 Posts
Amazing how many cyclists (in the comments especially) act as if the cars and motorcycles on Mulholland are the big problem. Those roads were built for cars, and paid for by their subsequent registration and gas taxes. I figure it's the automobile's road to share, not the bicycle's.

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
I've watched some of those videos on YouTube from Mulholland. It looks like that road attracts D-bags from all forms of transport. The ones that really strike me as crazy are those long boarders. To me that is just an uncontrolled downhill ride with no brakes!

·
Registered
952 Posts
The majority of cyclists I find to be courteous and I try to return the favor, slowing down significantly, coasting by them, and not getting back on the gas until I'm well past. The main thing that irks me is when they ride side by side. It's especially annoying because that invariably happens only on hillclimbs when they are traveling quite slowly. The combination of multiple bicycles moving slowly and taking up the entire lane creates a really dangerous situation for all involved. Still, most cyclists at least make an effort to not get run over. The Harleys on the otherhand, they may as well be moving roadblocks.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
I know many on this site are car enthusiasts and cyclists.

To that I say, get a scalpel and cut the 'cyclist' part out of your brain! :)

Seriously - I live in a suburb of Chicago and just to the west of me are great hilly, twisty country roads. We use them a bit for drives.

Without a doubt, every weekend, loaded with 'cyclists' with their cool guy spandex. And of course, riding 2,3,4 abreast FAR into the lane having a 'bro talk'. They REFUSE to move over when they hear a car approaching. Completely selfish and completely stupid.

All they need is a distracted mom or texting teenager and they are dead! It's just not worth it. Many of these roads have blind curves or hills. Nothing like coming around a curve on a 45 mph road and seeing 3 neon emblazoned riders right in your damn lane - and a car coming in the opposite way in the oncoming lane.

There are miles and miles of bike paths. Use them.

Hell, my subdivision has 17 miles of paths. The cyclists, who mostly don't live here, ride them like complete d-bags. The paths are for the residents. The paths meander along the 5 ponds/lakes in our sub and the streams that connect them. On summer days, there are countless people jogging, walking their dogs and kids roaming across going back and forth to the streams fishing and catching frogs. There have been NUMEROUS close calls. So much so that the association has been close outlawing bikes on the path (and that 'paths are for resident use only' signs put up everywhere).

So, I'm sure the majority of cyclists are great people - and hey, they also drive cars too - but I'm just going by the eye test. If I see a group of cyclists near me on a summer day, they WILL be doing something to piss me off.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
One thing to add - cyclists need to understand that, first and foremost - roads are for CARS. Not bikes. Cars.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I've watched some of those videos on YouTube from Mulholland. It looks like that road attracts D-bags from all forms of transport. The ones that really strike me as crazy are those long boarders. To me that is just an uncontrolled downhill ride with no brakes!

When people intentionally attack uou with their car and thinks its funny.. then they get stuck on a traffic. Or stop light. 3000 lbs carbs a bicycle , guess who is going to get hurt badly..

That's why I said, give me the finger, throw stuff at me just don't try to hurt me!! I don't do this just to spite motorist but my handlebars might touch your sides.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
I bike to work and I drive on roads. The law states bike are just as legal on roads as cars and have the same rights. Drivers are complete jerks. They pull out in front me so have to slam on the brakes to not be killed. Drivers need to realize if a bike ever gets hit the biker is going to be hurt badly and car is going to have minor damage and drivers will not be hurt.

I would think that people driving a lotus Elise that will never handle a accident well would understand.

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Nothing wrong with going out and having a bit of fun on a drive or ride. Everyone just needs to be courteous of the other.

·
Registered
296 Posts
One thing to add - cyclists need to understand that, first and foremost - roads are for CARS. Not bikes. Cars.
false. They are for both.

You sound like a real winner there rsamani. Scratching my car will get your face broken.
Learn context, dude. :rolleyes:
While you're getting defensive there, if you run me off the road by being a douche in your car, you'll be lucky if it's only part of your car that I break if I manage to catch up to you somehow.

This isn't hard people. There are *******s on all forms of transport. Don't be one of those people and no one should have a problem with you specifically.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I know many on this site are car enthusiasts and cyclists.

To that I say, get a scalpel and cut the 'cyclist' part out of your brain! :)

Seriously - I live in a suburb of Chicago and just to the west of me are great hilly, twisty country roads. We use them a bit for drives.

Without a doubt, every weekend, loaded with 'cyclists' with their cool guy spandex. And of course, riding 2,3,4 abreast FAR into the lane having a 'bro talk'. They REFUSE to move over when they hear a car approaching. Completely selfish and completely stupid.

All they need is a distracted mom or texting teenager and they are dead! It's just not worth it. Many of these roads have blind curves or hills. Nothing like coming around a curve on a 45 mph road and seeing 3 neon emblazoned riders right in your damn lane - and a car coming in the opposite way in the oncoming lane.

There are miles and miles of bike paths. Use them.

Hell, my subdivision has 17 miles of paths. The cyclists, who mostly don't live here, ride them like complete d-bags. The paths are for the residents. The paths meander along the 5 ponds/lakes in our sub and the streams that connect them. On summer days, there are countless people jogging, walking their dogs and kids roaming across going back and forth to the streams fishing and catching frogs. There have been NUMEROUS close calls. So much so that the association has been close outlawing bikes on the path (and that 'paths are for resident use only' signs put up everywhere).

So, I'm sure the majority of cyclists are great people - and hey, they also drive cars too - but I'm just going by the eye test. If I see a group of cyclists near me on a summer day, they WILL be doing something to piss me off.
Was wondering if Chicago could contribute to this thread.... :rolleyes:

I cycle and drive and see idiots in both.
Driving - Dumbass cyclists who blow through stop signs/lights when there's traffic. Cyclists that know better (not kids) going on the sidewalk or riding into traffic. Pack riders who go several abreast.

Cycling - 2 lane road, I've had cars squeeze between me and oncoming traffic instead of waiting 2 seconds to pass. I've been hit once and almost plowed into the side of a car who pulled out without checking. Only bright side was seeing her sheer terror as I managed to stop inches from going headfirst into her drivers window.

Best way to change things is to talk to the offenders. Talk, not scream at, talk.

Driven past some cyclists doing dumb stuff so I pulled over and motioned them to stop. Told them what I saw, don't know if they changed or not. Hell I've even gotten after cyclists as I'm passing them "Hey, we have a bike lane, would be nice if you used it so I didn't pass you way out in the road"
On the flip side I've thanked a few cars at stoplights for their driving behavior.

Anyone that takes a "holier than thou" attitude based on their eye test is a dick.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.