The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Red Elise, 1995 Red Esprit S4
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've come across a nice Esprit that has been laid up for a while. The price is attractive but several things need attention and cumulatively it is more than I have time for. One solution is to pay someone to do it as the purchase price is attractive.

Does anyone know of a good Esprit knowledgeable mechanic in the Boston area?

The things that I would want to sub out timing belt (just old), maybe the cooling system (check, service, symbiosis with the timing belt swap), and the brakes (flush, some sticking).

Thanks

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Is RS motors in NJ too far away? I think some one posted the other day he has like a 4 month back log.

I have been thinking lately - the services you describe are pretty straight forward for any decent mechanic, I wonder if you could find some one who was not too busy and would work with you. Take the pages for the timing belt procedure from the manual and spend a minute going over them with the mechanic and leave them with them. The biggest issue with the timing belt is the tensioning. Maybe you could rent the tensioner tool for them? Probably want to get the correct parts too. It would really help if you had a relationship with them already.

I dont know its a lot of hassle and it would be hard for them to give you a warranty.

I am kind of in the same boat, I am due a T belt but I kind of want to do other stuff and just pay some one. But the nearest mechanic that has probably ever done an Esprit belt is over an hour away, getting the car there and back is such a hassle and I am probably too cheap to have it flat bedded. I need an assistant :)

·
Premium Member
3,307 Posts
I am sure there is someone here, and hopefully a local Esprit owner will chime in
By 'laid up' what do you mean?
Parked warm and dry in the owners garage, or outside with nary a tarp for a decade?

If the former, and it really is mostly just flush fluids and see where you are, you could ponder the dealer, but the dealer the price for 'unexpected expenses' tends to increase exponentially compared to a private mechanic

·
Registered
2005 Red Elise, 1995 Red Esprit S4
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Erik and Exigegus.

Yes, NJ is a bit far. And yes, the services are not complex. The point is where to find that good local mechanic. I've had enough bad experiences when I did not have the time to do the job myself and had to ask a local mechanic. Nothing dishonest, just mistakes from no knowing and working in a time-measured job.

I know the local dealer from recalls on my Elise. They are reputable but their prices are very high.

I'll restate my question without the word Esprit in it; does anyone know a good mechanic in the area that would do good work on a Lotus?

Also happy to connect with other Esprit owners in the area.

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,509 Posts
Perhaps you should get recommendations from other owners, in the nearby Lotus clubs. NELLI or NEMOLL

That said, folks from all over the Northeast bring their cars to RS Motorsports...that should tell you something. 👍

·
4,291 Posts
[snip] That said, folks from all over the Northeast bring their cars to RS Motorsports...that should tell you something. 👍
It's the age old lesson that I (re)learned many times - if there is a long wait/line, whether mechanic or restaurant, it usually means there's a good reason for it.
While I've never had RS Motorsports do any work for me, my Esprit-owning years have heard Ralph's shop is one of the best places.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts