The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Unless they use that grant to come up with new models, and not just existing models with modifications, it will do no good. The total grant, spread out over time, is 160 million dollars; more than enough to come out with another new model or two. Time for them to leverage some of their experience in fabrication techniques and come up with something truly new. Perhaps this time they will realize they need better heat management and the ability to support a stronger factory powerplant.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Unless they use that grant to come up with new models, and not just existing models with modifications, it will do no good.
I'm not so sure.

I wonder if the money might be better spent on figuring out how to produce their existing products more efficiently.

The Evora, for example, is a great car, but it's price seems to hold it back. If they could get it's starting price down to that of a base Cayman's, then I think they could sell significantly more.

·
Less is Better
2,790 Posts
I hate to say it but it's the world and market that we live in, the best way for them to get set up for long term success is to use the money to develop a line of SUVs, including a hybrid variant.

If they take notes out of Porsche's rule book, who went from near bankruptcy in the early 90's to the most profitable company in the world for a decade now, they may be able to be a sustainable company.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I hate to say it but it's the world and market that we live in, the best way for them to get set up for long term success is to use the money to develop a line of SUVs, including a hybrid variant.
Surely the era of the SUV is coming to a close? I certainly hope so.

We're entering a world where the tastes of the US car consumer will (fortunately) have less of a say in the strategies of car manufacturers.

As for Lotus, the US has been important for them, but if they want to really grow, they should look East.

·
Less is Better
2,790 Posts
Surely the era of the SUV is coming to a close? I certainly hope so.
I wish. The market is evolving into Crossovers, but that's really just a nuance. They'll just continue to get more hybrid and small engine power plants.

We're entering a world where the tastes of the US car consumer will (fortunately) have less of a say in the strategies of car manufacturers.

As for Lotus, the US has been important for them, but if they want to really grow, they should look East.
Here are a couple of plots I found on BING showing the market segment break downs for the US and China as well as total sales in the fist half of 2013. If the data is to be believed, the US has 28.1% SUV sales to China's 17.8% (assuming "MPV" accounts for trucks) but the size of China's market is 36% larger than the US. So they actually buy almost as many SUVs as we do.

None of this tells the profit story though. SUVs are HUGE money makers for manufacturers compared to the small and mid-size sedan market. So for profit, the SUVs still seem to be the place to go if you're going to be producing at low volume.

Attachments

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
All the money should be put into the federalizing the V6 Exige. OOPS. My lust is showing through.

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
I think they need to boost the base Evora to 300-330 HP and the S version to 400 while maintaining same base price. This shouldn't be too hard to do and while they're at it, come out with a targa version already...we're on the 5th model year and no targa? Hopefully an official announcement of the Esprit will come shortly. A small face-lift for the Evora would be nice too since it's getting up there in age now.

As mentioned before, Lotus would have to redesign the Exige in order to make it compliant for the North American market which at the moment doesn't pencil well financially hence no street-able version for us.

·
Premium Member
598 Posts
I think they need to boost the base Evora to 300-330 HP and the S version to 400 while maintaining same base price. This shouldn't be too hard to do and while they're at it, come out with a targa version already...we're on the 5th model year and no targa? Hopefully an official announcement of the Esprit will come shortly. A small face-lift for the Evora would be nice too since it's getting up there in age now.

As mentioned before, Lotus would have to redesign the Exige in order to make it compliant for the North American market which at the moment doesn't pencil well financially hence no street-able version for us.
+1 for more Evora horsepower and a face-lift.

I am not holding my breath for the Esprit, but it was my understanding that Lotus was so close in finishing the development of this car.

As for an Exige, take a look at the production numbers for 2010 and 2011 (approximately 282 cars for all Elise and Exige models for BOTH years combined, and the 2010 Exige was a face-lifted model and 2011 saw a face-lifted Elise). A far cry from 3321 cars in 2005 and 1479 in 2006. To thicken the plot, Alfa plans to sell 1,000 4C's per year in the North American Market, making me wonder if there is a market for merely an updated streetable Elige version. Perhaps if and when Lotus develops the next generation Elige, hopefully they shall keep the North American Market in mind.

vincesf

·
Registered
623 Posts
As I've posted before, the US VP from Lotus who spoke to us in Portland before the West Coast Lotus Meet in July said they were doing new body for the Evora, and that they Bahar Esprit project had been killed.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts

i'd be up for the car if the top came off. That is the first rule for me. I can't drive a can.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I see them more likely to invest this in R&D which might not even show up in future Lotus vehicles but rather as licensed technologies.

·
Registered
952 Posts
As I've posted before, the US VP from Lotus who spoke to us in Portland before the West Coast Lotus Meet in July said they were doing new body for the Evora, and that they Bahar Esprit project had been killed.
Wasn't the Bahar Esprit just a rebody of the Kimberley Esprit? The Esprit is turning into a Duke Nukem 3D.

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
that the "danny" esprit is dead and thats a good thing - but hopefully not "the" esprit. that would be a bad thing.

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
Wasn't the Bahar Esprit just a rebody of the Kimberley Esprit? The Esprit is turning into a Duke Nukem 3D.
yes and no... presumably (who knows for sure) but it was to have the all new in house v8 (bad idea!. some kind of kern / hybrid system (adds cost, weight, but checks a marketing box...) scrapped the composite body work for an all metal/alumn body panels. not sure if he intended to keep the vva chassis or scrap that too.... not sure if he intended to keep al lthe evora components or scrap that too....

the beauty of the (to be post evora) kimberly esprit was that they would develop the evora, then use all that in esprit and only have to update the vva chassis, re-use virtually all the evora suspension, steering, hvac, etc... systems. and simply re-engineer for a v8, new body work, and interior and bam... done.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Seriously, I would have no problem with a crossover or hatchback sedan like the Eterne they displayed in Paris in 2010. With the blown 3.5 from the Evora S up front and a borrowed 4WD system I would buy one in a heartbeat.

·
Premium Member
598 Posts
It was no fluke that Lotus sold more Elise's than any other model in their history. Let's hope they go back to their core product and provide a lightweight performer priced lower than some of their mainstream rivals.

vincesf

·
Illegal Alien
5,259 Posts

If they take notes out of Porsche's rule book, who went from near bankruptcy in the early 90's to the most profitable company in the world for a decade now, they may be able to be a sustainable company.
Porsche profitability spurt came from two different avenues 1) was investing, hedging with was also the downfall that permitted VW Group to buy them out rather than the plans otherway around, 2) the other had nothing to do with new models and market share directly but rather cost cutting quality improvements that resulted in huge cost saving in the 911 series that increase margins while permitted them to price Boxster’s and SUV’s at fair market figures that expanded sales. The source for this cost savings was a project that started when Porsche hired Princeton University to figure out how Honda could build a mass-produced engine to higher tolerances than Porsche could hand build .. this study done by a Professor friend of mine, who was/is a Porsche freak lead to a later collaboration of Porsche and Honda to improve their products and cut costs. Honda methods taught them to build quality in rather than repair it in with the A-Team at the back door of the factory. Without this step the Boxster could never have been priced to sell and would have produced the miserable margins that the 911’s were bringing in. The rest is history. ... So back to Lotus, get costs out, get qaulity up. The Evoras and Exiges S are great products .. all they need is market share, then with those bricks in place expand the product line. 330/400 Hp Evoras, Espirt, E-UV...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts