The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
The Car and Driver test car has stock suspension and probably was running PZero tires.

For Sport Compact Car, they tested a different car with Yoko 038 tires and sport suspension and got better results. 4.2s 0-60 and 12.5s 1/4mile.

The tires make a huge difference. This engine will just spin the wheels with the stock tires. Weather conditions and the track surface also makes a difference.

However I think the numbers given for the US spec Elise are optimistic given the weight. Also I expect that the options that add weight can be deleted if you don't want electric windows etc.

I own one of the sister cars to the ones tested, its verrrrry niiiiice :)

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
fastspider said:
For Sport Compact Car, they tested a different car with Yoko 038 tires and sport suspension and got better results. 4.2s 0-60 and 12.5s 1/4mile.
the car in SCC was not powered by a run of the mill Honda motor - it was a brand new Spoon motor with head work (Spoon is a big Japanese tuner of Honda motors - they are known for pulling really impressive numbers out of their engines).

Also to note is that the car in the article was putting out 192 hp *at the wheels* - so it's running closer to 220 hp at the crank as opposed to the Toyota's 190 at the crank.

I will be pleasantly surprised if the Toyota powered elise can put a 1/4 mile down in under 13 seconds... I'm not saying it's impossible, but I am skeptical. (crossing fingers that Lotus proves me wrong).

·
Registered
56 Posts
My car and the Car and Driver test car and the SCC car all have the Spoon engine. Most of the Sun International conversions used it, although a few of them are running generic Type-R drivetrains. BTW I have 17000 miles on my Elise Spoon Type-R.....

I'm looking forward to having a comparitive burn-off with the first US spec cars :)

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
fastspider said:
My car and the Car and Driver test car and the SCC car all have the Spoon engine.
I'm green with envy. :)

I looked into purchasing one of the Sun cars but was scared away by people saying that they weren't 100% legal. Glad to hear that you haven't had any problems.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have a US spec Vin, CA smog sticker, registration plate etc. Its registered as a Specially Constructed Vehicle, along with things like Cobra replicas and kit cars. CA allows 500 cars/year under this program. You have to marry an engine and body that don't originally belong together to qualify.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
fastspider said:
I have a US spec Vin, CA smog sticker, registration plate etc. Its registered as a Specially Constructed Vehicle, along with things like Cobra replicas and kit cars. CA allows 500 cars/year under this program. You have to marry an engine and body that don't originally belong together to qualify.
*sigh* .. and I was proud of myself for doing as much research as I did - getting the track record of Sun, speaking with people who have done work for them, finding out what Lotus had to say about Sun, etc. Never thought to speak to their cusomters. That sure is a beauty you have there!

·
Registered
56 Posts
It wasn't simple, cheap, easy, safe or quick, but most of us who were patient and hopeful (i.e. incurable Elise addicts who would do anything for a fix) ended up with a well designed and built car that passed CA's DMV rules.

Compared to the US Spec Elise, the Sun Type R is a lot lighter, more powerful, and quite "raw". Its much noisier, and more demanding to drive.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts