The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
The Car and Driver test car has stock suspension and probably was running PZero tires.

For Sport Compact Car, they tested a different car with Yoko 038 tires and sport suspension and got better results. 4.2s 0-60 and 12.5s 1/4mile.

The tires make a huge difference. This engine will just spin the wheels with the stock tires. Weather conditions and the track surface also makes a difference.

However I think the numbers given for the US spec Elise are optimistic given the weight. Also I expect that the options that add weight can be deleted if you don't want electric windows etc.

I own one of the sister cars to the ones tested, its verrrrry niiiiice :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
My car and the Car and Driver test car and the SCC car all have the Spoon engine. Most of the Sun International conversions used it, although a few of them are running generic Type-R drivetrains. BTW I have 17000 miles on my Elise Spoon Type-R.....

I'm looking forward to having a comparitive burn-off with the first US spec cars :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have a US spec Vin, CA smog sticker, registration plate etc. Its registered as a Specially Constructed Vehicle, along with things like Cobra replicas and kit cars. CA allows 500 cars/year under this program. You have to marry an engine and body that don't originally belong together to qualify.

·
Registered
56 Posts
It wasn't simple, cheap, easy, safe or quick, but most of us who were patient and hopeful (i.e. incurable Elise addicts who would do anything for a fix) ended up with a well designed and built car that passed CA's DMV rules.

Compared to the US Spec Elise, the Sun Type R is a lot lighter, more powerful, and quite "raw". Its much noisier, and more demanding to drive.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.