The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - I've got a couple day trip to Monterey coming up ... and would like to take the Elise.
The hotel (Monterey Plaza; never stayed there before) has valet parking but .... that scares me.

Anyone know of a good place to garage the car in Monterey? As close to the Aquarium as possible.

thanks-
-doma

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Doma,

Have you talked to the hotel? They are used to getting all sorts of exotics & stuff there. It's likely they can accomodate your needs.

The GGLC has had a number of events in Monterey and the hotels have always been great about doing something special.

Kiyoshi

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Tough one. I don't know that city THAT well, but do recall seeing a parking garage near the acquarium. I think you'd be better off with valet parking than a public garage, though. You could probably talk the valets into letting you self-park your car.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's a good sugestion. I'll call them up.

>They are used to getting all sorts of exotics & stuff there.

Oh; they may just suggest their valet then ... if they've 'been there and done that' then the valet might be trustworthy do you think?

thanks-
-dom

·
Registered
220 Posts
doma said:
if they've 'been there and done that' then the valet might be trustworthy do you think?
Never trust the valet. My car got a taillight broken while in the care of a valet at a very nice hotel. Then I got the run around for a month afterwards trying to get them to pay for it.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Doma

The hotels the club has dealt with seem to understand that a lot of folks with exotics don't trust valets and they've learned to accomodate.

Kiyoshi

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay - I've just read a ton of horror stories on various other car chat sites ... there's no way I'm gonna let the valet touch it now!

I'll call the place in the morning and see what they can do.
-doma

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
I've had similar experience as Andrew with car park attendants (the weasels backed my car into something, causing bumper damage and didn't say a word until I saw it and questioned them about it. They were trying to get me out of there before I saw it.)

What I would do would be to call ahead, tell them you have a very special car and ask for some accomodation on this (an area where you can park the car and it won't be disturbed), also use a car cover.

P.S. During the big Monterey weekend in August this would not be possible obviously, because every other car is a "special car", but on an off weekend this should not be a problem.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
quick valet horror story:

brought my spiffy, low-milage, mint-condition ;) '94 RX7 to a Hotel Sofitel. Keys got locked in the car while waiting for valet (damn that auto-locking mechanism). Valet assured my that it happens all the time & they could get them out and then shewed me away to my room. Note: the electric sunroof was in the "vented" position.

Came out the next day, hopped in the car, gave the guys a very generous tip for retrieving the keys & drove off.... Noticed a bit of a sunroof rattle. Opened the sunroof fully - more rattle. Got to my destination, hopped out & discovered their method of retreival - *braking* the sunroof open.

They broke the rails, the gears, and other mechanical bits. Because the rails were broken, when I opened the sunroof, it left a couple nice big scratches down the roof.

I promptly jumped back into the car & went back to the hotel. Hotel says, "We use a valet company, you need to speak with them." Spoke to the valet company, "No, we didn't touch your sunroof," and "After you leave the lot, we are no longer responsible for your vehicle."

This went back & forth for a LONG time - no one wanted to take responsibility. You would think that the hotel would step in and do something - I mean, I *couldn't* park at the hotel without using the valet & valet assured me they could get my keys (I would have called a locksmith otherwise). Some research showed no less than NINE lawsuits against the valet company at the time... Threatening legal action meant nothing to them.

Long story short, it cost just over $4K to fix my roof. That was my last Hotel Sofitel stay & the last time a valet will touch my (nicer) car.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
BrianK said:
quick valet horror story:

That was my last Hotel Sofitel stay & the last time a valet will touch my (nicer) car.
And that's a pretty nice hotel I believe. Which just goes to show, the type of place does not matter. My sister was a manager back when at the Ritz Carlton in Dana Point. She said the valets there were scary, too. They seemed to relish driving the exotic sports cars with total abandon, esp. if they were on the way out anyway (and turnover is very high with these valet guys).

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay - I got down there Thursday afternoon, stayed two nights, and just got back home. So here's what happened...

I pulled up and the valet immediatly asked me if i'd prefer to self-park it. Yes I say ... and as he writes stuff down on a ticket I field questions from other arriving guests and the other valets. Then we are off to the garage (he didn't get in the car ... he ran ahead). The garage was enclosed and without public access. He opened the gate for me then walked ahead of me down down down into the parking structure. He then suggested I take up all three spaces between two pillars so that none of the other valets would try to park a car next to me. I covered it, gave the guy a tip, and didn't have to give anybody the keys. Was very cool!

I checked on it midday yesterday and it was untouched. This afternoon I found it the same (untouched) and had a fun drive home up hw1 then over hw17.

So ... for parking in Monterey I'd reccommend the Montarey Plaza Hotel & Spa. We a good experiance.

-doma

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Incredible! Good for them, that's impressive.

I wonder, once people start learning what this car *really* costs, will Elise owners still get this special treatment...?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts