The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Thanks. Been looking for flat jackstands...best I could find was $50 a set. Every store seems to carry essentially the same product with a different label, but I hadn't yet seen a price that good.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
The jack stands are well priced. I paid over $60 about 6 months ago for a similar set at Pep Boys 6 months ago. They work well.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I bought some basic cheap stands from Harbor Freight a while back, but I like the look of these. Aside from overall coolness, does this design have any advantages over the old-school pyramid-based design?

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I think the main difference is the top, it's nearly flat. Just a couple of raised edges on both ends. Most of the low cost pyramid shaped jack stands I found don't have a flat top. It's possible that the pyramid shaped bases are more stable under extreme loads though. That said I've never had a problem with these and my Elise. These one's paired with some hockey pucks work great with the Elise flat bottom jack points. I cut a couple of groves in my hockey pucks with a utility knife that line up with the raised edges on the jack tops and they work great.

I bought some basic cheap stands from Harbor Freight a while back, but I like the look of these. Aside from overall coolness, does this design have any advantages over the old-school pyramid-based design?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Thanks. I didn't notice the flat tops. I use hockey pucks on my V-shaped tops of my stands, but I'm never really sure they're going to stay put.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
I have the same stands under the Husky brand. I drilled and tapped a 1/4-20 hole in the top of each stand so I could put a hockey puck on with a socket-head cap screw and washer. I drilled a 1/2" countersink about halfway through so the screw head would be recessed. I also cut the grooves in the bottom of the puck like pixlpush did. So the pucks stay on/don't get lost but I can remove them if I want.

And, nice find on the price. I ordered a pair of ramps and chocks. thx.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I have the same stands under the Husky brand. I drilled and tapped a 1/4-20 hole in the top of each stand so I could put a hockey puck on with a socket-head cap screw and washer. I drilled a 1/2" countersink about halfway through so the screw head would be recessed. I also cut the grooves in the bottom of the puck like pixlpush did. So the pucks stay on/don't get lost but I can remove them if I want.

And, nice find on the price. I ordered a pair of ramps and chocks. thx.
Good idea on the drilled/tapped holes to keep the hockey pucks in place. That ought to take care of the pucks sliding around once and for all. I may just have to do that today...

·
Registered
881 Posts
ramps

Looks like a pretty good price for Rhino ramp ($30) and jack stands ($40).

Rhino ramp
Jack Stand
I built a set of 8' ramps from a sheet of 3/4 inch solid plywood. They are 12" tall, 12" wide, and nearly 8' long. Everything is screwed together using decking screws. Very solid and plenty of clearance making it easy to work under the car for oil changes, etc. The long slope makes it easy to back onto with someone standing behind providing help. The 2x4s on the bottom are probably not needed for additional stability, but I like to over engineer stuff. The bottom view shows an additional piece (duplicate of the side pieces) down the center attached to the sides with the small gusset pieces providing plenty of weight bearing strength.

Also check out the Lotus seat belt covers hand made by one of our CAL club members. We "won" them at a Christmas Party gift exchange.

Attachments

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
i have those stands. They're nice, but too tall. I'm going to have them cut 3-4 inches so I can use them on my exige.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts