The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all... Given our general, widespread complaints about Lotus's communication practices, I thought some of you might find this interview to be interesting:

Jim Rosenfield Interview on Customer Satisfaction

I found it while doing research for an "editor's day" that I'll be conducting in August. When it comes to making magazines, I subscribe to Kano's "Surprise & Delight" theory on customer satisfaction (Kano's Theory). Applying this theory helped sell a lot of cars over the years, and I think "surprise & delight" features can also sell magazines. I'll be saying as much during my seminar.

But Rosenfield, a big-name business consultant, has gone on the record to say that customer satisfaction sadly doesn't matter anymore. From the interview in the first link:

"Profitability feeds into what I think is a prime ideological facet of post-industrial capitalism, that customers are a necessary nuisance, to be exploited, and then gotten rid of when they're no longer of use....

"As much as it pains me to say this, there's not much definitive evidence that good customer service and customer satisfaction lead to profitability. In fact, there's a lot of evidence that the opposite is true, because of the increased costs involved in satisfying customers. And then shareholder pressure on quarter-to-quarter earnings discourages long-term investments in customer service infrastructure."

At any rate, the whole interview is on the topic of customer satisfaction, how it's applied, and when it does and does not matter. The first few graphs are boring, but then it picks up.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
It seems just about every corp. in the US today has embraced this philosophy, from mcdonalds all the way up.
Chris

·
Registered
495 Posts
Interesting article. Thanks

I'm in Medicine, not businesss, so I claim no special experience or expertise --but it does seem true that profit is being chased at the expense of customer satisfaction

Real quality is hard to find in consumer products these days. And if you do find it, it's very expensive. Maybe I'm just remembering the 'good old days' that never really were, but I don't think so.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts