The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after several enjoyable years of owning my '05 Elise, I have come to an impasse and considering letting her go. Not because I don't enjoy her, but because every ****ing time I take the car in for maintenance or a repair, I have to take it back 2 to 3 more times to get it done right.
I live in Indianapolis on the north side and tried everyone I know all with disappointing results.

My current mechanic does great work, but recently hired some guy from Porsche who worked on my car. When I got in, you could barely push the clutch to the floor and you could not shift it into any gear. I only found out about this after driving 40 minutes to the mechanics to pick up the car, only to leave the car to get it fixed correctly and have to come back again the next day.
Any recommendations on good service in Indy and has anyone else run into this, got fed up, and just sold theirs?

Andy

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
i'm trying to develop my own skill set so that i can mess up my car as well as any mechanic. I feel your pain though. I think your situation is not entirely unique, and very well may be one reason why people will sell. One of the things that grabbed my attention when I joined LT, was the high percentage of owners that were proficient mechanics - so many folks here do their own work, and probably do it as well or better than a dealer.. At one point i believe owners really have to commit to the car and the learning curve it will put you through, or you will sell. There is no shame in selling - and you had several great years? Not bad.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Minor work (brake pads, Shifter cable, Sway bar, Wheel studs, Key Switch, all fluids, HID lights, toe-links, etc) I do myself, Major work I run to a shop about 900 to 1000 miles away to get done (Dietschwerks). I am hampered by living in an apartment with a "no wrench" policy, or I would do more. Two to four hour repairs I tackle, multi-day jobs are unworkable here.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I wish I was more effective with a wrench. Time is a real challenge as well with 3 kids in sports and a 6 month old, the days fly by. It's all worth it though:)

Andy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts