The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Good source for quality OEM match touchup paint???

5K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  SiXeVeN 
#1 ·
Hey all, had a run in with a armadillo which mangled my license plate mount. I need to do some minor fiberglass repair but will eventually need a source for Chrome Orange paint that I can spray.

Ideally looking for something in a rattle can but color match is most important... a hard task with the CO.

Where can I source it???

Any advice???

#3 ·
I am currently using AutomotiveTouchUp.com. The B86 Green seems to match one fairly well for a metallic paint in an aerosol can. It does seem a little light in the amount of "solids" in a can. I just started to buy in quarts but haven't shot any of it through a gun yet. Fast shipping.
Good Luck

#5 ·
automotivetouchup...I don't have the spray, but the two stage touchup plus clear and rubbing compound. I normally would use my own products after paint but figured I would use all of their stuff.

I have chrome orange, and as most know there are several different variations of CO all with the same B25 paint code. The touchup matches ok, but is very hard to fill small knicks smoothly. The two stage is nice because it allows you to adjust the metallic coat a bit, but I found my orange was too yellow no matter how many coats I used to darken it. The clear and rub means it usually matches the gloss of the factory clear when done.

I had a one stage storm titanium touchup kit from DR color chip previously, and had mixed results. Color matched better but it was too flat and very difficult to apply to anything bigger then a tiny chip.

#6 ·
I went with Automotivetouchup. I agree with the previous posts. The basecoat is very light in "solids". I emptied an entire can just to spray a small area... I would describe the paint as a tinted clear coat. Eventually with enough coats it did cover. The mid coat pearl was dead on.

Unfortunately, the color is not a perfect match. It is slightly desaturated. i.e. it needs more orange pigment. The touchup looks slightly washed out. Perhaps even slightly too yellow.

I wrote the company as they say they can 'remix' for a better match. We'll see what happens.

#8 ·
+1 on automotivetouchup.

BTW they are really great too if it doesn't match. Call them up and let them know and they'll remix it and send you another one to see if it's better.

I had them do that on my mother-in-laws Civic that I was helping to touch-up for her. It took 2 tries, but the second one was a much better match.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.