The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Banned
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.
Looks as if the seller is changing his tune about he-himself Delivering the car over to me.
I offered to pay him $875.00 for Delivery.
Before any payment was made he was indeed going to Deliver the car.
Excited to make the sale.

He was supposed to call me back Saturday with the details. Nope.
Just today he emails me back after last night I enquired whats happening?
Reply was whats up?
I ask him when do you plan delivery?
He then says-"I said, I would look into it and did I look into any transport Co's?"-huh?!!

Last Friday I made a payment to him through an email transaction.
He absolutely needed it that evening to "get a hitch for his jeep and rent a Trailer". It was a bit of a Fiasco because the email address's he gave me didn't work.
He would not give me his bank account number so we could do a bank to bank wire transaction.???
He then asked me to go to my Bank and he will do a wire transfer only if the bank will call him and he can give them the info.
I told him they won't do that but he insisted.
I called my Bank and of course they won't do that!
So to appease Bill for now I gave him a partial email payment.
The maximum amount of an email transaction for my bank is $3000.00
..........:facepalm

·
Cal H
982 Posts
Crap hope you did not get ripped for 3K. You do know for sure that he has the car right? Never give anyone money for nothing. Anyone go see the car?

·
Banned
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do believe he does have the car.
He did send me a video of the car the night before.
The video looked as if it was underwater though so I did not get a decent look at any particulars of the car.

·
Registered
67 Posts
What?! don't tell me you sent the money without a Bill of Sale..or receipt? He could easily deny that he received the deposit from you. My advise to you is;

Gather as much info about the guy
You have his phone # so hopefully you'll get his full address and his real name also
Facebook account would have been soooo useful - you can get to message the immediate family, relatives and close friends just in case he scams you.

Ask the guy for a Bill of Sale ... that's the only thing that will save your 3k for now if he is not scamming you...

·
Cal H
982 Posts
We don't know who this guy is. Its not like he is one of us that chat among ourselves regularly. Many of us have even met each other even though we live across north america. I might be getting over alarmed but this is not good. Anytime someone wants to do bank to bank he has to send the title to the bank before you release funds or escrow account it. Typically you go see the car, do the deal and get the title, then transport the car. Even though this sale may work out all right never do something like this again.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
:facepalm

There's an old saying that you should never hire a carpenter who can go to work the next day.

A variation of that is never send money to someone who (allegedly) owns an Esprit but needs your money to rent a trailer hitch.

One other variation is never send money to anyone without a bill of sale and a copy of the title in the seller's name in your hand.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Wow! I really hope this is all just one big misunderstanding and that it all works out for you. But in the meantime I would gather up as much evidence on this "gentleman" and the transaction and be prepared to contact the RCMP in the event that this does turn out to be fraud.

I wish I was closer to Penticton. I would run out there and at least taken a look at the car for you.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I wouldn't panic just yet...I don't know the distance between the two of you, but I have a feeling that it isn't a short distance. People have to take time off from work or family to make such a trip and it could be that he had some difficulties with his domineering wife or boss, but didn't want to admit it. Some people are funny like that. It could be that he is scared to death of towing an Esprit on a trailer in snow or foul feather too (I am not sure how the weather is in your part of Canada).

How far is it anyway? If it were me, I'd seriously consider taking a drive or a flight out there to pick it up or at least go meet with him and take a look. If he immediately says he is unavailable when he hears this (which I doubt), you have your answer.

Can you perhaps fly in and drive it back? Just realized that may not be a possibility with the weather out your way. Either way, hoping for the very best.

Roy

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Okay, I just googled Alberta Canada to Penticton...it said:
416 miles, 10 hours and 44 minutes
Assuming that is in good weather...I don't know how the snow situation is up there though.

Any Lotus Talk members out there in the Penticton (Vancouver?) area that might be able to help a fellow member out?

Roy

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Wow hope it all works out. I can only imagine your stress level right now. Last month when I mentioned on the forum that I was in the market for an Elan some said that I should expand my search and not limit myself to local sellers. This is one of the reasons why. I will only do deal locally and not where I have to try and trust someone on the other side of the coast. BUT that doesn't mean that you can't trust anyone, just not everyone.

Best of luck, I am hoping that you get the car even if it means flying out there, renting a truck and tow it home yourself.

:eek:

·
Cal H
982 Posts
Wow hope it all works out. I can only imagine your stress level right now. Last month when I mentioned on the forum that I was in the market for an Elan some said that I should expand my search and not limit myself to local sellers. This is one of the reasons why. I will only do deal locally and not where I have to try and trust someone on the other side of the coast. BUT that doesn't mean that you can't trust anyone, just not everyone.

Best of luck, I am hoping that you get the car even if it means flying out there, renting a truck and tow it home yourself.

:eek:
Local deals are always best but this usually how it works long distance. You find a possible candidate for purchase somewhere. You put out a call if anyone know the particular car, if it is an unknown car you put out a call for a list or forum member to take a peek at it and give you a report on the general condition. If it is a real trustworthy and knowledgeable Lotus person some go ahead and buy it. But for me if it is deemed a good car I travel to see it in person to close the deal and transport it home. Fly in and drive it home. If it can't run show up with a trailer to take it home.

I bought cars all across the country and so do a lot of people I know. Just follow the rules and common sense. Just be aware and exercise diligence. There are a lot of people who offer Lotus advice with a proven track record spanning many years of being correct in their advice. We know who they are and if one of them says it is a clean car and endorses the condition I have a tendency to believe that. But still it does not relieve your responsibility to check it out yourself and conclude the deal.

cal H

·
Registered
162 Posts
mpesik - I bought an Esprit from 2500+ miles away. It was not possible for me to check it out ahead of time.

One thing my bank told me was NOT to do a wire transfer. Once the money is sent, it is gone. They have no ways to get it back in the event something goes wrong. I used PayPal. My thought was that I would have assistance from my credit card company if needed. Thankfully I didn't need to find out.

Good Luck. Interested in how it all works out.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Wow....I'm glad I'm not the seller. Nothing like trial by internet when things go wrong and the seller not having a chance to defend himself. There's always two sides to any store and I would prefer to hear both before condemning the seller or the buyer.

I believe it was said earlier the seller had his Esprits on the market due to health reasons. That may well be the case and towing an Esprit over the mountains in the dead of winter would not be ideal. I would rather have a professional do it to ensure the car arrives safely and undamaged. They also have insurance in case anything goes wrong.

Maybe we wait until the complete story is posted before jumping the gun and making a judgement. I hope it all turns out for the best but would understand if the seller backs out of the deal and refunds the deposit after reading this thread.

Roo

·
Cal H
982 Posts
We are not condemning the seller. Just that sending money off to a person he has not really met is not something one should do over a internet sale. With ebay and certain other sites there is a protection mechanism rather than the exposure that this particular sales process has. I did say "Even though this sale may work out all right never do something like this again." It is directed to the buyer to limit his exposure and risk. The buyer or seller may ask for anything from each other, it is up to the other party to agree or to deny the request. We are talking to the buyer and have never spoken to seller so all our advice and comments are directed to him. The leverage has passed to seller once any sort of payment has occurred without the accompanying exchange of either title or goods. That is what I am saying

·
Super Moderator
4,042 Posts
[snip]
Last Friday I made a payment to him through an email transaction.
He absolutely needed it that evening to "get a hitch for his jeep and rent a Trailer". It was a bit of a Fiasco because the email address's he gave me didn't work.
He would not give me his bank account number so we could do a bank to bank wire transaction.???[snip]
So to appease Bill for now I gave him a partial email payment.
The maximum amount of an email transaction for my bank is $3000.00
..........:facepalm
Red flags all over.

Just to speed up to a resolution - can you post the ad link and possibly the VIN?
If this were a fraudulent transaction it may be immediately determined by more information.

Last year, a member found his Esprit picture and VIN on eBay being 'sold' by an unknown party - let's hope you didn't run into the same situation.

·
Banned
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hello.
Upon he receiving the partial monies, he was also to send me a Bill of Sale. That would have been done next day latest as he said and how much was left to purchase,
along with Delivery.
As I've said, I've heard nothing until I emailed him.

He has 2 Loti..and his reason for selling is health.

His health problem which I can absolutely empathize with -pain-is essentially -excess water in the ankle. It must hurt I imagine like gout! He's 40 and just broke up with his G.F
He still wants to keep one LOTI so -either or- who will buy which one?
It's a fundamental funds constraint I assume!
I talked to him about his health problem and now it doesn't bother him.
He was the one that initiated that he would do delivery-for a price-he works usually on some of the weekends as he stated. This would have been filler.
He used to be a Trucker but now is some DJ on some shows.
They are, he says on the youtube or something.
The point is..I fed a cat I found that was hungry before I brought it in the barn to catch the mice.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
If nothing else, hire a stranger to go check out the car.

·
Banned
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Ihope it all turns out for the best but would understand if the seller backs out of the deal and refunds the deposit after reading this thread.

Roo
I just hope to get the refund!!! I think you are too optomistic about your own proposition.
I tell you.
I don't give a ****. Time will offer other cars.
This is not my esprit that I was actually looking for.
I did want something else.
I'm prepared to look for another and NOW don't mind spending more.
If anyone wants the car, let me know.
It has already soured my taste.
But I want my deposit back.
After all the **** I've been through in life...it's just a car and that's all it'll be.

btw-this is mainly for ROO!

·
Registered
465 Posts
Okay, I just Googled Alberta Canada to Penticton...it said:
416 miles, 10 hours and 44 minutes
Assuming that is in good weather...I don't know how the snow situation is up there though.

Any Lotus Talk members out there in the Penticton (Vancouver?) area that might be able to help a fellow member out?

Roy
Roy, if going via Calgary it is about 575 miles (10 hours is about right) from Peachland BC to Edmonton AB where Mike is; about fifty miles further if you go through the northern pass (usually has fewer issues with hills and weather). Good news is I am located in Calgary about 2/3 of the way along the shorter route.

Weather here is a bit of an issue, but not terrible. Trans Canada Highway was closed for a day last week, but open now. Lots of snow around, but roads are open with compacted snow.

Mike, you are welcome to stay here if you are going down and get the car. Have to like dogs though. :) Would break up the drive for you.

Our vintage sports car club meeting is tomorrow night. I will ask around to see if I can find a reliable hauler for you.

Can you confirm if the car can presently be started and driven for loading, or if it would require winch loading?

If you decide to make the drive, sure guys here can help out regarding whether the Esprit will go on to a standard U-Haul Auto Hauler or not. If it will, great, although the whole rental process with U-Haul has a few issues to be aware of.

If the U-Haul is dicey for approach angles, etc., I have rented an open tilt bed trailer here locally that will accommodate the car for sure, and the guy is cool with long distance rental use. Pain is you have to drive it down empty and it bounces around a lot without the car on it, and if you got it here you have to bring it back south.

If you want an enclosed trailer, Airdrie Trailer rent one, but not sure if they are cool with long distance use.

Note for any trailer option your tow vehicle has to be equipped with an electric brake controller and seven pin plug.

I am sure Bill and you will work things out on the details of the deal. Just need to figure out a way to move the car to it's new home.

HTH

Stu

1 - 20 of 42 Posts