The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all, looking for a good place to take my elise to get a k24 engine dropped in and tuned. im in the austin/central tx area, but willing to go to dallas, san antonio, or houston. any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Just be aware that the K-series in Federal S2's is not exactly common. So your not going to find a company that can just "drop it in". Its going to require some trial and error. I think there are 2 members on this board (dstevens and whatsadsm) that have done K swaps (1 is a K24 for sure) and they both did most of the work themselves. Innovative Mounts is one that people are using in America, they are $500.

That being said. If your looking for a particular power output the 2ZZ has been proven to put out 300HP with little more then a clutch and up to 400HP with some engine work (mostly replacing the pistons). And the supercharger will give you a fatter torque range then even a superior motor like the K24. All while being able to keep factory wiring and operatbility (if we can call that a good thing :D ). The transmission is usually the biggest fear in tracked cars.

But you may have other reasons for wanting to go with the K-series, and thats understandable as well.

The parts themselves for the swap are not going to be too much. The time and labor is whats going to impact it. I would guess it would take several months to get a K24 swap going properly. Or you can drive your car a few hours up to BOE and for $8-10K and a couple weeks you can have 300HP ready to go.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
im not going to be a able to do anything for a couple of years, right now im just trying find a few places to discuss the feasibility of the swap. in the end, i am looking to make around 450 whp supercharged, and the k24 seems like it can produce that easier and more reliably than a 2zz. reliability is the deciding factor, as this will still be my daily driver, and auto-x occasionally.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have heard good things about
SoulSpeed here in Austin. One of the mechanics used to work for the Lotus Service Dept so he knows his way around the Elise. They are all about performance upgrades too so I think they would be a good fit for helping you with the swap and all the tweaking you'll need.

Good luck. That thing will be a monster when you're done with it.

·
Registered
181 Posts
im not going to be a able to do anything for a couple of years, right now im just trying find a few places to discuss the feasibility of the swap. in the end, i am looking to make around 450 whp supercharged, and the k24 seems like it can produce that easier and more reliably than a 2zz. reliability is the deciding factor, as this will still be my daily driver, and auto-x occasionally.
reliability of the 2zz engine is about the last thing i'd worry about

·
Registered
436 Posts
Talk to Laivins in Phlugerville... might not be their thing, but they fabricate race cars.... also Moore Speed in east Austin... they talk exotics.

·
Premium Member
5,633 Posts
Are you flubber nuts? why are you asking for a shop 2 years in advance?

A. The shop may not exist 2 years from now.
B. The price for labor may increase considerable in the near furutre due to the price hike on the barrel of oil (it seems everyone blames their price hike on the oil situation...
C. Who told anyone on here the 2ZZ is a more reliable engine, no wonder zombies are now eating people's faces in miami... Go eat!! I mean heat!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts