The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When cornering hard, my brake warning light comes on in my dash. Goes right away; seems to directly correspond to lateral acceleration.

I've checked carefully to make sure my leg is not pushing on the e-brake lever. But nope, it's doing it all on its own.

Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
11,985 Posts
two:

1. Have you tried searching??

2. Fill the m/c reservoir.

Site's been around since 2004 or so. Much has been covered.

we highly recommend reading the manual, which may have something such as this in it:

With the parking brake released, if the tell tale should light
at any time after the six second check period, stop the car immediately,
as the circuit has detected a dangerously low level
of brake fluid in the master cylinder reservoir, possibly caused
by a hydraulic leak in one of the separate front or rear brake
circuits. In the event of a leak there is a danger that air may
enter the hydraulic system and cause spongy operation and
extended pedal travel. The divided brake circuit should ensure
that emergency braking remains, but the car should not be driven
until the fault has been identified and rectified.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, a stupid question on both accounts. Long day yesterday and was obviously not thinking clearly. Thank you for replying anyway.

·
Premium Member
11,985 Posts
Happy to be of help.

·
Registered
945 Posts
If your MC turns out to need filling, check your brake pads.

What's probably happened is your pads are so worn that enough fluid has been pushed into the system to lower the MC below the fill line - it's rare (and really bad) for brake fluid to just disappear or leak out on its own.

If that turns out to be the case, replace the pads first and bleed the system or you'll just be wasting good fluid.

·
Elise newb
342 Posts
If your MC turns out to need filling, check your brake pads.

What's probably happened is your pads are so worn that enough fluid has been pushed into the system to lower the MC below the fill line - it's rare (and really bad) for brake fluid to just disappear or leak out on its own.

If that turns out to be the case, replace the pads first and bleed the system or you'll just be wasting good fluid.
Another way to say this is, "if you need to fill your MC, you have a problem with your brake system and you need to find it." Brake fluid doesn't evaporate, it flows somewhere, either to make up for pad wear or into the wild.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Definitely understood.

I bled my brakes last weekend so I'll start by checking bleed nipples and go from there...

·
Premium Member
11,985 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,985 Posts
Use google.

Brake light flicker lotustalk.com

better maybe:

For future reference: Don't use the search on this site. Simply use Google and end the search text with "site:lotustalk.com". E.g.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts