The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was googing around with Google Earth earlier today when I ran across what appeard to be a "car show" on a public street. I grabbed the image and cropped it down.

The car in this image appears to be a Bugeye Sprite. There were several Jaguar XKEs and what looked like Morgans further up the street.

Is there a way to share such "spottings"? (KML link?)

Anyone have Lotus spottings to share"?

Can you guess where this one was?

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
that's really cool.
finally, another reason to waste time on google earth.
btw, i love those sprites.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
I was googing around with Google Earth earlier today when I ran across what appeard to be a "car show" on a public street. I grabbed the image and cropped it down.

Is there a way to share such "spottings"? (KML link?)
Someone else had this problem before ... How the heck do I post kmz links?? - Google Earth Hacks Forums

Can you guess where this one was?
I have no idea where you found this spot, Steve. There are palm trees and there is sunshine, so no chance that it might be in Germany. :)

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
For windows >= XP,
  1. Have browser opened to google page with the image you want to capture
  2. Press Alt+PrtSc
  3. Click Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> Paint
  4. In MS Paint
    • Edit -> Paste
    • Push the select box icon button (upper right button on left hand side)
    • draw a rectangle around what you actually want to see
    • Edit -> Copy
    • File -> New (say "no" to dialog)
    • Edit -> Paste
    • File -> Save As ...
    • In the dialog window, type a name in the "File name" text box
    • In the dialog window, select "JPEG (*.JPG ... )" in "Save as type:" drop down
    • Click "Save" button (note the location)
  5. In browser, upload pic as normal

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The location of the Bugeye Sprite is Sydney Australia. I grabbed the kml used by Google Earth. The text of that file is attached.

It'd be cool if this could work like the ".kmz" attachements. (Thanks for the link, Michael)

this is a test... and it doesn't work :(

Attachments

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
The location of the Bugeye Sprite is Sydney Australia. I grabbed the kml used by Google Earth. The text of that file is attached.

It'd be cool if this could work like the ".kmz" attachements. (Thanks for the link, Michael)

this is a test... and it doesn't work :(
Worked for me. :shrug: I just saved it as a kmz file instead of a text file.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Worked for me. :shrug: I just saved it as a kmz file instead of a text file.

Hey! That works... but you have to know what to do.

I clicked on the "bugeye.txt" link (using IE) and it posted a dialog with options to "Open", "Save", and "Cancel".

I chose "Save" and was prompted with the standard file dialog. I changed the extension from ".txt" to ".kmz", and when I clicked the file dialog's "Save" button, it fired up Google Earth and took me to that location.

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
I think you can link them... when you're in Google Earth hit Ctrl+Alt+M and it will open it up in your browser, then you just post the link.

Try this one... it looks like rows of logs in the water off the coast of Madagascar: Clicky

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
Somewhat off-topic, but do you guys know if the satellite imagery on Google Earth is updated more often than that on Google Maps? I know that it is higher res, but assume that they're updated the same time.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Somewhat off-topic, but do you guys know if the satellite imagery on Google Earth is updated more often than that on Google Maps? I know that it is higher res, but assume that they're updated the same time.
I believe the use a common database for both. Most of the hi-res images are from airplanes, not satellites.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts