The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used an external Mic that works well with GoPro2 when you have it mounted outside the car? Also does it need to be a powered Mic?

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That sounds much better than the on-board Mic. Was it the power version? If not did it effect the on-board batter?

·
Registered
380 Posts
Neg on the power, just the standard omni mic.. I don't believe it effected the battery any and if it did, very minimal. The mic's are custom made and available with different lengths of cord.. I suggest going with the longest available.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have been experimenting with mics in the Caterham as the noise factor is a major issue with track videos.

Here is a Gopro HD2 with an unpowered mic cheapie Olympus ME15

Sounds tinny and hollow. The reason for this is there is only a limited amount of power the Gopro puts down the mic wire to operate the mic. So you do miss recording the dynamic range of sound that is in a car. I have not experienced any difference in battery life with or without mic.

For contrast here is a GoPro HD2 with a powered Audio Technica mic, same car, camera, location, etc but different day and with a passenger.

Sounds better to my ears although I am getting some electrical interference around 6 minutes that I have not sorted out.

El Dude has found the first really good unpowered mic for a GoPro that I have heard with a good mounting location that avoids wind (the killer for car mics) -great find! :up: I would love to compare it to the Giant Squid powered mic option as I suspect it would be even better.

It probably comes down to how much you want to spend?

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Many THX Mike. I found an audio-technica ART3350 locally that is powered. I will test it and see how it goes.

BTW - It was great meeting everyone at NJMP. My wife loves your car :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts