The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.

I recently purchased a GoPro and love it. My problem is the mount, I'm using the suction mount, just behind the drivers window and it is REALLY bouncy. I like the suction because it's removable with no permanent marks, but I want a more solid mount. Any thoughts?

I like the location btw, because with the window down, I can see my hand placement etc which makes for a good learning tool.

-JM

PS, picture of where and how the go-pro is mounted.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Try re-arranging the joints so that the camera isn't so far from the base. The closer the camera mass is to the suction cup, the less bounce you have. You will lose some field of view, but have a better quality image. I tend to mount mine either on the back window behind me (great view of my driving, poor view of the track) or on the front windshield (no view of my driving, but best view of the track).

·
Registered
239 Posts
I've used the suction mount many times, and get noise from rattling but no bounce. Having just removed my clam twice in as many months(both BEFORE my Radium clam kit came in...) I wonder if the bounce may be the clam itself. Have you tried it on glass just to eliminate fiberglass flex? You can get a tripod adapter (1/4 20 threaded) and make a rig. I have the parts for a tow point rig, but haven't made it yet.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
I mounded mine on the Evora on the headlamp for a great view as well as on the front window and back window. All of which came out really well.

I did have mine pretty close to the base as addertooth mentioned though. Give it a shot.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
You can mount it in the same area but instead of the vertical plane, mount it on the flat horizontal plane about the wheel.

I've used it there on track days and spirited drives - no issues.

Oh and if you REALLY want a good mount, get the RAM mount stuff - fantastic! I use it with a 12 in 'flexible' extension and it can get you any footage you want. Google RAM Mount/Go Pro

Stuff like this:

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
If you mount the arm straight up, the camera will only move as much as the car moves. Because you have the arm hanging out, it flexes on every bump, increasing the cameras movement.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts