The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My lovely bride gave me a GoPro for Christmas (thanks Pep!)

What are the tips and tricks you have learned using a GoPro (or any action cam) with your Lotus?

What/Where/How to mount, or what/where/how not to mount? (no roll cage so comments welcome for general knowledge, but not required)

Mount here and you get good video, but too much wind noise. Mount here and you get good engine sound, etc...

This brand's suction mount works good, or does not work....

Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
182 Posts
+1

My wife got me the Hero 3+ Been playing with it this morning and got the suction cup as well. Getting ready to test it on the Elise today or tmrw.

·
Registered
385 Posts
My experience is the suction cup mount works great. Never had it break loose unexpectedly. I use an external mic designed for wind noise reduction and it seems to work well.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have been using an early base model GoPro for a number of years. They have a wide angle lens so camera position is not super critical, for track days I place mine mounted on the rear window because I feel that showing the driver and the road ahead provides some interest. Wind noise is an issue above 100mph and a solid back option came with my camera. I generally use the slotted back and live with the noise at high speed. The mount is great and my track days at Sebring give it a workout. Posting on You Tube and choosing the stabilizing option helps smooth things out.

·
Premium Member
2,979 Posts
Congrats. Great wife?
The suction mount is quite amazing. I use a detailer spray to clean the area thoroughly then wet the suction cup with a dab of spit. Yes, spit.
You'd have a tough time trying to rip that sucker off.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
28 Posts
I use my GoPro pretty much every time I go snowboarding or take the Lotus out. The biggest issue I usually run into is battery life. Since you are using it for your car, instead of purchasing another battery, you should try getting a case and a longer charging cable to plug into your car (link below).

Using a 64 GB card, I never come anywhere close to filling up the card and this is shooting at 1080p @ 60fps. Plus, if you have the remote control edition, it's really nice to be able to start and stop the recording and not worry about using up any extra power.

I've never had an issue using the suction cup mount either. However, for extra safety, I took a leash off one of my snowboards and attached that to the suction cup mount then attach that to my car. It's just an extra measure I like to take since it would be horrible if the GoPro flew off my car by accident. :facepalm

Hope that helps.

HD Skeleton Housing - GoPro Official Store: Wearable Digital Cameras for Sports

Amazon.com: Dakine Snowboarding Standard Leash, Black: Sports & Outdoors

·
Addict
2007 Lotus Exige S
1,518 Posts
Spotmeter if used inside the car. The phone app is also nice to change the settings but it uses the battery more when in wireless mode. Fun little camra.

·
Registered
7,353 Posts
I have been using an early base model GoPro for a number of years. They have a wide angle lens so camera position is not super critical, for track days I place mine mounted on the rear window because I feel that showing the driver and the road ahead provides some interest. Wind noise is an issue above 100mph and a solid back option came with my camera. I generally use the slotted back and live with the noise at high speed. The mount is great and my track days at Sebring give it a workout. Posting on You Tube and choosing the stabilizing option helps smooth things out.
What is this stabilizing option? Is that within gopro? I tried using one with the harness bar mount Sector makes, had pretty bad vibration. I know people love these and they are extremely popular but I can see a wave in the moving images most of the time.

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f68/gopro-vibration-168057/

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
the suction cup works great. I have never had any issues. My wife got me the HERO3 black for my birthday in september and i immediately got the LCD backpack. i definitely recommend this as it helps tremendously aiming the camera and it essentially lets it function like a typical digital camera with review/playback modes. Its around 75 bucks and you can get at best buy, amazon, etc. It also comes with wider back doors to accomodate the extra space. My wife leveled up for Christmas and got me a DJI Phantom quadcopter for it, which I immediately crashed lol (Don't worry its fine-she was smart enough to get me spare rotors and rotor shields haha). I have to say the drone is absolutely amazing - i'm just kicking myself because I left my gopro at my house and we're at her folks for christmas. There is endless potential for entertainment with it!

·
Registered
583 Posts
Too funny! Got a hero3 and suction cup this morning as well!

Subscribed.

Anyone ever play Project Gotham on Xbox (like a decade ago)? Thinking of making a tribute video to Accidental Super Heroes (band from Colorado that had a number of songs on the game sound track and then broke up)...great album, very hard to find.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Suction cup is okay plenty of fun spots on the car there were some go pro threads already with various videos and photos.

I can say they are durable but if yours happens to fly off at 120 mph in the back straights when the out crew recovers it let it do the ambulance repair! My mc wreck at the track popped the sd card out losing vital footage.

·
...call me a space cowboy
252 Posts
I'll second the external mic question from Frank. For the most part though, the skeleton frame works fairly well but it would be nice to have options.

Too funny! Got a hero3 and suction cup this morning as well!

Subscribed.

Anyone ever play Project Gotham on Xbox (like a decade ago)? Thinking of making a tribute video to Accidental Super Heroes (band from Colorado that had a number of songs on the game sound track and then broke up)...great album, very hard to find.
1967 Sunbeam Alpine SV - mediterranean blue, black:up:

Any pics of your Alpine Wexler? :bow:

·
hello
299 Posts
If you are mounting it on a rollbar, look into the manfrotto superclamp.

The gopro tripod adapter lets you connect it to various camera attachments and it is generally useful.

·
Registered
164 Posts
What is this stabilizing option? Is that within gopro? I tried using one with the harness bar mount Sector makes, had pretty bad vibration. I know people love these and they are extremely popular but I can see a wave in the moving images most of the time.

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f68/gopro-vibration-168057/
When you upload to YouTube it will detect motion and ask if you would like it fixed within their software. I find that the take some of the motion out.

·
Registered
583 Posts
1967 Sunbeam Alpine SV - mediterranean blue, black:up:

Any pics of your Alpine Wexler? :bow:

Love her long time... :) Can't wait to put that gopro on the trunk of that baby and take a long drive through the wooded twisties!

EDIT: by the way, buy one soon...guys are rapidly buying up the Alpines and converting them to "tribute" Tigers...

·
Registered
182 Posts
Do not forget to get the app for your mobile device....

My lovely bride gave me a GoPro for Christmas (thanks Pep!)

What are the tips and tricks you have learned using a GoPro (or any action cam) with your Lotus?

What/Where/How to mount, or what/where/how not to mount? (no roll cage so comments welcome for general knowledge, but not required)

Mount here and you get good video, but too much wind noise. Mount here and you get good engine sound, etc...

This brand's suction mount works good, or does not work....

Thanks for sharing.
Very cool and easy to setup. You can use it to configure the camera remotely with it or the remote, but has a play back feature and also live view of what your camera sees....great for setup before recording.

·
Banned
3,229 Posts
On the Exige, I mount it on the Mohawk scoop, right over the windshield...you see most of the hood and what is going on in front. This is my favorite spot to mount.

·
...call me a space cowboy
252 Posts
I usually keep mine mounted on the rear glass between the seats. great view of the dash, shifter, and the outside.
Same for me...I "try" to make adjustments based on what I see. Also, I learned that I swear a lot too rotfl

1 - 20 of 58 Posts