The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
I have one but I'm too lazy to upload any videos yet.

The one you show in the picture looks like the motorsports camera. I bought the wide view camera thinking it was better but it turns out you can't see anything if you mount the camera inside the car.

It works great outside of the car though, looks fish eyey

You need the camera with the flat lens to shoot from inside the car.

I mounted my wide view on my front splitter, looks really cool since its right down on the track, not too good to see what you're doing inside the cabin though.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Here's some sample video from my GoPro:
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f100/lcs-4-buttonwillow-72172/index14.html#post129509

So mine isn't the wide angle.
Initially I had virtually no audio. Sent it back and now have decent audio level, but audio quality is poor ... not nearly as good of video or audio quality as sample video on their web site. I've heard from others that their video and audio quality is also not so good. Poor quality control ?? Cheap in both meanings of the word.

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
It is a good entry level product and a good example of fine marketing of a digital camera into a motorsports product.

The angles are wrong, either too narrow or too wide.

The shutter speed is too slow causing a rolling "underwater" effect in the video.

Sound is not good and there is no provision for external audio or microphone input.

No data of course. And no instant on, motion sensed recording, etc. You have to remember to turn it on and off.

Easy to forget and use up the batteries (limited life) and then you are hosed.

But it is cheap! The good news for me is we sell a lot of systems to people who first bought one of these, so they spend tons of money marketing the idea of using on-board video and it's an entry level product.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
It's totally the gateway drug to getting yourself into Chasecam territory. I like it for external, or stuck on your helmet when karting...sound sucks, battery life sucks (you have to use expensive lithium ion that lasts 1 hour)...etc. but again, does a quick and dirty job of capturing, you will want more out of it eventually

·
Registered
475 Posts
I have one as well. It is fine for its price. Its flaws include the underwater effect that Randy mentions as well as burning through batteries too quickly.

Here is video:

YouTube - HPR April 09 4 Laps

I would like that Chasecam ish, but too rich for my budget at this point.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Thanks for the feedback, folks. Confirms in my mind that I'm right to hold out for the real thing.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
you can't beat it for the money though. plus its water proof

·
Registered
4,451 Posts

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
Watch this, just the first 10 seconds is enough to show the rolling shutter effect. Now many people will not mind the limitations relative to the positives (small, self contained, light, waterproof, cheap).

YouTube - Auto Club Speedway, GoPro Hero

·
Inactive
831 Posts
In our employee's drag car the go pro does not survive a drag launch - it shuts down for some reason. To be fair, a standard camcorder does as well. The ChaseCam works ok in the same vehicle.

·
Not the admin anymore
11,953 Posts
“The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory.”

:D

·
Registered
475 Posts
BTW, what is the "underwater effect"? Does that video have it? I'm not complaining :)

[
My video has it when I get over 100 mph.

·
Registered
806 Posts
i have a go pro.

my theory is, and i am very confident on this, that the waviness is only the result of their vibration suppression software (highly likely) or vibration suppression mechanism (unlikely).

i am very confident on this because i have only seen it in high vibration cases: for example, my car idling. i was expecting the picture to be like the one in my rear view mirror - blurry from shaking - but their way of fighting vibration seems to turn it into waviness, which is ok by me. i step on the gas - it goes away. it is also worse when i mount in places more prone to vibration.

Watch this, just the first 10 seconds is enough to show the rolling shutter effect. Now many people will not mind the limitations relative to the positives (small, self contained, light, waterproof, cheap).

YouTube - Auto Club Speedway, GoPro Hero

·
Registered
806 Posts
i like go pro because it has no wires. i can find a way to quickly stick it anywhere, and just press go.

and because of its cost: i just simply bought it - i did not feel like i had to do a whole lot of research to justify the expenditure. when spending more money i feel like i have to be sure and do all this research and then i don't end up buying anything for years. this way i have something in the meantime until i figure out what i really need.

i don't like go pro because it has no wires. to have it working i constantly have to be thinking about batteries and memory cards (both limited to about 1 hour).

i don't like go pro due to the limitation likely due to its cost: sometimes poor video, usually poor audio, limited interface.

i will keep on adding to my car-camera equipment and i will still find uses for go pro, so it made sense for me to get it, mostly because, like i said, i otherwise would not have anything. and who knows when some wall decides to call my name.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
you can't beat it for the money though. plus its water proof
so when you try to flush it down the toilet at the track, and it gets stuck in to drain, someone who finds it can still fiddle with it and become its next "victim".

if your tracktime is important enough for you to record, by something worth using and that makes videos that you can proudly share.

I am on my 2nd camera system, the first one would not stay running in the FF.
i returned it and got my new system.
2 thoughts;
"you get what you pay for"
"the bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of cheap price is gone"( didnt read tracys post before i wrote this, but will leave it because its relevant 2x)

my current system is the chasecam.
love the system!
good work randy!!

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
If the choice is GoPro or nothing, I agree. Get it.

But if you can go higher, then you have other choices. Like AIM. Or ChaseCam. And one of them supports the forum. And is designed and made in the USA.

Data? Wait a month. Just saying... :)

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
My own feeling is that a low cost solution like GoPro and an obviously higher quality solution like ChaseCam are not mutually exclusive. If you are a serious tracker that wants to LEARN from your video or data log, you really must have a higher quality video package. But if you just want to document that you actually tracked you car, or catch an occasional autocross with a camera you can also strap to your kids handlebars or suction to your snowboard, go GoPro. If you want to do both, get both.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts