The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello All,

I just got back from my first track day in the "new" car (2005 Elise). I did the Hooked On Driving PDX at Thunderhill yesterday. Great instruction and great day. I learned so much and I was looking forward to looking at my GoPro videos to learn even more, but the videos are really difficult to see. The cab is too dark and so the track is very bright and almost impossible to see. I mounted the GoPro on the back window so I could see driving position and the track at the same time, but all I can see really is driving position. I adjusted the exposure and brightness al low as possible in iMovie (MacBookPro), but still not very good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YfFTdtfaf0

Any advice on the video quality? Any other program I could try or level adjustment? Next time advice? Should I mount it in a different place? I know if I took the top off the car and let light in, then it will be fine. I should try that next time.

Any advice on my driving technique would be welcome as well. Go easy on me, this was my first ever time on a tack and my second lap! Nahhh, go ahead and rip on me, I've got tough skin. I'm just happy I didn't run off the track. Going over the bypass was terrifying! I got used to it as the day went on, but man that it scary as hell...

Thanks,
John

Attachments

·
Registered
222 Posts
Mount the GoPro on the outside of the car like this:

·
hello
295 Posts
Spot meter. Thanks man. Didn't know about that. Next time. Thanks again!
Also, not sure who was your coach but HOD has some people familiar with the elise. Either get a coach that has driven an elise or someone with a miata (small momentum cars). I found the feedback more relevant than corvette drivers. So try to find them when you do group A.

I got xsml_rkt as a coach on my first time at laguna seca a couple of years ago and it was night and day compared to a random Subaru guy I had before that.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I just bought a Hero 3 Black, and used it at the last HOD track day at PIR. Mounted it where the rear view mirror used to be, inside... and got excellent video, and pretty good sound. Even with windows down, I was very surprised how decent the sound was.

I had no idea about the spot meter setting. The thing is brand new to me, and I suck at learning new techy things.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I use spot metering in a Go Pro and film from inside. I used to suction the camera to the back window, now I mount it to the harness bar. It looks great, just make sure to use spot metering, and make sure the center of your camera image is pointed at daylight, not inside the car.

Footage from GoPro 2:
Footage from GoPro 3:

·
Premium Member
2,897 Posts
I use spot metering in a Go Pro and film from inside. I used to suction the camera to the back window, now I mount it to the harness bar. It looks great, just make sure to use spot metering, and make sure the center of your camera image is pointed at daylight, not inside the car.

Footage from GoPro 2: Lotus Elise playing with other cars at Thunderhill Raceway - YouTube
Footage from GoPro 3: Lotus Elise at Thunderhill Raceway - YouTube
Nice job reeling in the Porsche and if a car is going to pass you, it might as well be a Lotus?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone. Awesome advice. I borrowed a hero2 and after reading this I am sold, just got a Hero3 with a suction mount. I will be sure to set the spot meter and face it correctly. Or maybe I don't want you guys to see how slow I drive....haha.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts