The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody use goprocamera.com?

They are very cheap. I am planning on buying one to test out at my next auto x event. Later if it is good, I plan on buying another 2 to point towards my feet and myself while driving.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
I don't

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
I should point out, that for those that don't know (always surprising) that my company sort of competes with GoPro. As in we both sell video recording devices. There are some differences and those differences may not matter to you, and for you, the HERO cam may be a good option at its price. I don't run into Walmart screaming at everyone that there is better quality or a US made product available. Each person makes that decision.

I will say that ChaseCam supports this community, this forum. We sponsor LOG and WLCM. We offer prizes for hitting 1 million posts here. We also sponsor many racers including 24 hours of Lemons, the Lotus entry into Panamerica, and we sponsor many SCCA activities including World Challenge and ProSolo and many autocross activities. We work with Evolution Racing School (lotus connection). We build and design our products in the USA (San Diego). We offer upgrade paths for newer and better products.

And again, that may not matter to you. But that is my case. :) We don't seek to compete at the $100-200 arena. We can't keep our's in stock as it is.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Our kit is not $1200.

It is not cheap, but really it is around $800. The recorder is $525 MSRP. You can supply your own bullet camera or buy one from us. That puts a basic system at about $650. A hi-res (520line) cam system is $800. A mount adds $40.

The only way at this point for me to offer our recorder cheaper, is to offshore it. And I will not. I think we are THE ONLY company designing and building this kind of a product in the US.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Randy, didn't i give u one of their brochures at SEMA? rotfl

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Randy, didn't i give u one of their brochures at SEMA? rotfl
Of course. They have a nice little product for a cheap price.

The thing is, is it field upgradeable? Able to autostart? Remote control? Can it handle 32gig or 64gig cards? Battery back up? External vehicle power? Common tripod mount? Built in USA? GFOrce overlay? Tie in to data acquisition?

NO?

Well, that is why it is a different market. We have units on formula one teams, Grand Am, A1GP, ALL V8Supercars, Mazdaspeed. Different market.

·
Registered
729 Posts
My only complaint about the GoPro is the short battery life. And the lack of external DC power. This should be enough to discourage anyone on making the purchase. because in order for me to get reliable recording. I need to install brand new batteries for each 20 minute sessions (PITA). Or else the camera will automatically stop recording after 1-2 minutes. :wallbang: Other then that, Its a great product for the price IMO. I only paid $108 on a GB.

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
Of course. They have a nice little product for a cheap price.

The thing is, is it field upgradeable? Able to autostart? Remote control? Can it handle 32gig or 64gig cards? Battery back up? External vehicle power? Common tripod mount? Built in USA? GFOrce overlay? Tie in to data acquisition?

NO?

Well, that is why it is a different market. We have units on formula one teams.
And there you go.

Everytime in the past I've wanted something good, that I knew was good quality and what I really wanted- but there was a slightly cheaper option and I went with it. Well it seems that I always discovered why the cheaper thing was cheaper- cause it was crap- which left me purchasing the item I really wanted in the first place- and spending a lot more money in the long run. Just a little something I picked up over the years. YMMV. But now I just tend to go without till I'm saving up for whatever has the quality I won't be replacing soon.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
kinda like going to someone's home for a cookout and telling them the last time you went to someone's house for chicken the sack of kfc served was better :shrug:

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
Randy's setup really is a good solution. I'm holding out to buy it myself, and I'm a cheap bastard.

xtn

PS - Randy, any progress on the features I asked for long ago?

·
Registered
9,273 Posts
Maybe I should have PM'd Randy instead...

PS - Randy, any progress on the features I asked for long ago?
I've bumped those very questions 2 or 3 times in the original thread where you asked them. I haven't seen a response yet and haven't found any updated info on the chasecam website :(.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
I have been a bit busy, what questions?

Keep in mind that I am not going to say some things publicly on record as to what we are working on, and what the time frames are for those things.

·
Registered
9,273 Posts
I have been a bit busy, what questions?

Keep in mind that I am not going to say some things publicly on record as to what we are working on, and what the time frames are for those things.
The questions XTN asked in your thread from a year ago about the chasecam lotus kit http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f172/chasecam-lotus-video-recording-kit-42095/. The questions are summarized in post 32 http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/1019241-post32.html in my second bump. :)

You could PM us if you want instead ;).

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Having used the Chasecam setup (see above: sponsored entry for Panamericana) I will attest to its quality and reliability. It worked perfectly, on some of the worst roads I've ever seen a Lotus on. No repairs or maintenance needed. Just turn it on and let it work, and video quality is excellent.

Cade

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Having used the Chasecam setup (see above: sponsored entry for Panamericana) I will attest to its quality and reliability. It worked perfectly, on some of the worst roads I've ever seen a Lotus on. No repairs or maintenance needed. Just turn it on and let it work, and video quality is excellent.

Cade
They work even when the car crashes. Or in this case, all three cars. For those with ADHD, skip to 2:20 in.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4b2LSGtwcNE&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4b2LSGtwcNE&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

·
Failed at Self Control
653 Posts
Anybody use goprocamera.com?

They are very cheap. I am planning on buying one to test out at my next auto x event. Later if it is good, I plan on buying another 2 to point towards my feet and myself while driving.
Shwing.... what a hijacked thread.:crazyeyes

Godzila, here is my two cents....

I've purchased two of these cameras with the same idea as you. I was VERY attracted to the price. :clap: ...but expect to get what you paid for. :sad:

Here is what I've experienced using these cameras:

1) Both of my cameras experience an intermittent 'pause' during the recording. This slight pause or hick-up happens on and off every few minutes. I've been told by others that have the camera that theirs don't do that and I should send them back. I've also heard that it can do this while running on regular batteries. I haven't yet sent them back yet ...because it's a pain in the butte.

2) The video recording length on these cameras is short (maybe 20 minutes) ...if you use regular batteries. If you use higher end rechargables I can get up to an hour of recording on the 2 GB memory card. The video file for an hour of recording is right at 2GB so the recording stops. I believe there is still charge in the batteries after that but I usually swap the batteries out for fresh ones at every memory card change. I have a bunch of spare memory cards (which are fairly inexpensive) and a bunch of spare batteries all charged and ready. I just swap out the memory and batteries as I need to.

3) These camera's come with a boat load of different mounts. I've combined a few different mounts and ended up with a nice configuration that fits in the upper passenger side corner of the front window. The mounts are also very strong. Some other mounts that I've tried seem to fail under stressful conditions.

4) The camera doesn't seem to like heat. I was up at the Streets of Willow and it was HOT. At one point I was unable to see the display screen and couldn't tell if the camera was on or off or what any of the settings were. I just bailed on the video attempts at that stage.

5) Because the camera is in a sealed case the audio is very weak. There are two levels of audio recording (low and high) but it just won't capture the sound very well. I was using a different camera prior to this one and I miss the higher quality audio.

With that said I'm now very seriously considering some sort of higher end set-up from Randy because I'm kind of tired with all this memory / battery / heat tinkering ...especially when all I want to do is drive! :shift:

- z

1 - 20 of 30 Posts