The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can't contain myself any longer.

Drove the Malibu Canyons today on a gorgeous crystal clear sunny day. I’ve driven them often in my old Audi TT, but the Elise made the TT (225 bhp, Quattro Roadster, and no slouch) feel like an overloaded school bus by comparison.

The thing is on rails, isn’t it?. Which leads me to ask – how much better is the sports suspension than stock? Maybe someone could quantify it in % terms?

Like ....“10% better”, “50% better”, whatever.

Apologies if you’re reading this at a desk surrounded by snow until May.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,165 Posts
Very nice photos Rob.

I would say that if you didn't push the stock suspension hard enough to experience any kind of slip and it felt like it was "on rails", then the sports suspension wouldn't really be better in terms of handling at all. In fact, some of the bumpier roads like Decker would afford you some extra compliance. Most of the difference is down to the stickier tires, which give some more front end bite and seem to require a bit more arm strength in the steering at mid-corner. I couldn't quantify it as a precent (don't know myself), but people are indicating a significant increase in total grip. A second set of rims with A048 tires on them might be worth your while, especiall for auto-x.

- J

PS: Is that picture taken at Stunt?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I did get a bit bent out of shape once or twice, if I'm honest, but I was still impressed with the limits, particularly under braking on the blind downhill hairpins with adjacent precipice.

Just led me to wonder how much higher the limits would be with the tuned suspension.

Point certainly taken about the compliance on the rough stuff.

First photo was on Decker, other two on Piuma, I think. Not certain, I was a bit dizzy by then.

·
Registered
5,165 Posts
I certainly don't think you'll be disappointed if you try the A048s. Downsides seem to be increased tire wear and a longer warm up time before you get optimal grip out of them. Inferiority in standing water is probably a non-issue for us in SoCal, fortunately.

If you want to get first hand experience with the LSS, I'm sure someone will give you a ride at tomorrow's auto-x at Cal Speedway. I'm bringing my helmet for this reason. :D

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually I've just realized that I should have phrased the question to be about the difference in grip levels.

In any case it’s a crap thread, so please ignore it. As I see most people are doing anyway.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
BOLLX :)

love the pix...2nd one best

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
BOLLX-those pictures are GREAT! Too bad its too late for the calendar spread. Nice work!:clap:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts