The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I purchased my 06 Exige about 2 years ago but havent gotten around to making a build thread until now so what better time than the present so sorry for the length of this first post and all the pics. The car must have been modded some before as Stan's shifter mod was done I noticed and the intake snorkel was already removed. The Stock exige seats had been replaced with Magnolia Elise Probax seats for some reason and it doesnt have LED tail lights :shrug: Clean carfax when I got it though.

Here she is the day after I bought her:

An old photo I found online of it at a dealership

My first purchases for the car as it didnt have the manual/toolkit/only one keyfob when i got it

Then I purchased an OEM battery box, black shift knob, and K&N filter

Interior with black shift knob and ebrake handle

Did the green wire mod

Added DDM Tuning HIDs

Larini SE exhaust purchased from a forum member

Top Speed rear panel eliminator (Ebay/no longer made)

and then dyno'd her

Then my CF addiction started with HKFever's awesome parts

Added Sector111 3mm spacers

Jim Clayton Tow ring painted to match the stripe

FTP CF side scoops

Picked up some Exige Probax from Avid Motorsports

Added a Lotus Sport Banner with a matte black backing and the yellow matched to my stripe thanks to Keith at Chuforia and a Carbon Fiber front lip from HKFever

Then tragety struck as some lady ran into me while I was waiting for another car to turn back in October 2013

Five months later I got her back from Magnum Collision over in Atlanta (Lotus dealer sent the car there after i sent it to them) During that time I picked up some Cup Wheels, a Larini Decat pipe, Cup Airbox, and a difflow diffuser
When I got it back from Magnum

Then I had Keith at Chuforia redo the starshields and stripe and had a local shop paint the cup wheels

I've also got a CF footrest and fuel door from GBcomposites and some mudflaps on the way. Got a CF steering ring from HKFever too that i didnt run across a pic of.

Plans are to supercharge her soon most likely with an OEM Exige S setup as I've already purchased a water/air intercooler and some modified RLS pipes. Going to go with a full mohawk scoop hard top.

Ninja edit: Forgot to mention I'd added a Saikou Michi Catch Cans and a smaller/lighter XSpower (I think is the name) battery as well after mine flipped over while driving one day and leaked acid all over the inside of the trunk. Purchased a CF mohawk scoop hard top this morning as well so looking forward to that coming in.

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
Why was their 05 Elise Tail lamps on the car and Elise seats? Was it originally a 05 Elise that was changed to an Exige?

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No it's an Exige. But for some reason when I got it it had those Elise seats and tail lamps... It has the sports pack with the factory harness bar, LSD, and traction control. The only thing I can think of is I guess a former owner at some point traded those out/sold them off and pocketed some money before selling the car [shrug].

Edit: That old pic I found of it appears to look like it's got the Exige seats in it then so yeah not sure why they got changed out to the Elise seats and tails

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've been having some sputtering lately that has started getting increasingly worse. It especially tends to do it when I'm going around turns for some reason and the traction control light has come on while doing this as if it thinks the wheels are slipping. I figure the sputtering may be the spark plugs as they've not been changed since I've owned the car (2 years so way overdue). I searched and found someone else having a similar problem that new plugs and coils solved for him. I'll try the plugs and if I still have sputtering move on to the coils. I went with the NGK BKR6EIX-11 iridiums gapped to .044 after reading on here. The ones that were in the car when I got it were NGK IFR6A-11 iridiums. After searching that it appears they're a discontinued plug. I started it up and idled and revved fine thus far. I'll take it for a drive tomorrow after work and see how it performs and if the sputtering goes away.

·
Tire abuser
773 Posts
I've been having some sputtering lately that has started getting increasingly worse. It especially tends to do it when I'm going around turns for some reason and the traction control light has come on while doing this as if it thinks the wheels are slipping. I figure the sputtering may be the spark plugs as they've not been changed since I've owned the car (2 years so way overdue). I searched and found someone else having a similar problem that new plugs and coils solved for him. I'll try the plugs and if I still have sputtering move on to the coils. I went with the NGK BKR6EIX-11 iridiums gapped to .044 after reading on here. The ones that were in the car when I got it were NGK IFR6A-11 iridiums. After searching that it appears they're a discontinued plug. I started it up and idled and revved fine thus far. I'll take it for a drive tomorrow after work and see how it performs and if the sputtering goes away.
Could also have to do with the condition of your tires. If you had to replace just one rear due to a damaged tire, I believe the system can be sensitive enough to the difference in size that it thinks one tire is slipping in turns.

This is if the "sputtering" is purely the TC cutting power.....

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Could also have to do with the condition of your tires. If you had to replace just one rear due to a damaged tire, I believe the system can be sensitive enough to the difference in size that it thinks one tire is slipping in turns.

This is if the "sputtering" is purely the TC cutting power.....
Wow really? That's pretty crazy and I did have to do that a while back. That could be the cause right there. Come to think of it I didnt really notice it starting until around that time. Thanks!

Edit: One of the pics above was taken around the time I had to do that. You can still see the paint marks on the left tire if you look closely and the new tire on the right.

·
Registered
765 Posts
What is the "Green Wire Mod"?

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
there is a green wire that can be disconnected dash, this wire controls the low beam that is on when the ignition is on (only 2006 cars) and makes the car like 2005 with drl.

·
Tire abuser
773 Posts
Wow really? That's pretty crazy and I did have to do that a while back. That could be the cause right there. Come to think of it I didnt really notice it starting until around that time. Thanks!

Edit: One of the pics above was taken around the time I had to do that. You can still see the paint marks on the left tire if you look closely and the new tire on the right.
Could be it. Drive around with TC disabled and see if it clears up.

Great looking car by the way! Love the green/yellow and dual-out pipes!

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I believe it may have been a combination of both after my drive yesterday it seems to run smoother but still had a little sputtering and the TC light when making an aggressive turn. Not as bad as it was thought. I'll take a drive with no TC tonight and see. Thanks again for the tip and appreciate the comments on the car.

As for the Green wire mod KimGT is correct. Since I put the HIDs in the car pre green wire mod the low beams would flash when you deactivate the immobilizer which I hear is bad for HIDs to turn on/off quickly so I deactivated that and the immobilizer still works but now no flashy headlight thingy that it used to do before.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Could be it. Drive around with TC disabled and see if it clears up.

Great looking car by the way! Love the green/yellow and dual-out pipes!
It was doing the studdering thing when I got on it w a passenger in the car. It doesnt do it unless i'm turning but with him in the pass seat it would studder in a straight line too (he's kinda heavy). Turned off the TC and no more studdering :clap::bow::coolnana:

These rears are starting to get low so I'll be picking up some new tires again soon which should take care of that little problem. :shift:

Had an appraisal done on my car Saturday for my diminished value claim from the ins company. Should have the numbers back from them this week.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks to Yoram for the hookup on the CF full mowhawk hard top. Now to figure out how i want the lines to run for the stripe so I can get the measurements over to Keith at Chuforia.

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
I recognize that garage!

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wait...which garage? You been stalking me again Thomasio? lol

·
Registered
905 Posts