The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had been planning on getting a wing for a long time to balance out the aero from my GUT front splitter. I was torn over going for a subtle look or more over the top. I always loved the look of the one-off Sport Exige and what Stig had done with his car (and considering I would go with an SC in the future). A couple months ago, Dave was selling his GUT baseplate and I decided to pick it up and use it to mount a wing. My friend works at a shop called Phoenix Race Works in Arizona and they would be able to make this wing to my specs.

The element is a profile used on the front of a Dallara Indy Pro Series car on their road courses, it's a full carbon shell with a foam/aluminum reinforced center, and is tough and light. It's also a dry carbon piece. It has three points for adjusting rake. I left it in the lowest downforce setting for now because I think it's going to be adequate. They were able to customize it to my width and height specs. The original plan was for it to be shorter but I figured 1) cleaner air with it being closer to the roof line and 2) I can always shorten it later by trimming the intermediate plates (but not vice versa). I can't wait to get it back to the track to test it out! :nanner: If anyone is interested in something like this, I can get their info for you.

Headshot:

·
Registered
247 Posts
Hey, talk to me about your seats. I am thinking about having my reupholstered to get a bit more cushion on the butt and was thinking about potentially having the leather replaced with red. (I also have an ardent red car). When and where did you get yours done? How much? More pictures?

Thanks

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey, talk to me about your seats. I am thinking about having my reupholstered to get a bit more cushion on the butt and was thinking about potentially having the leather replaced with red. (I also have an ardent red car). When and where did you get yours done? How much? More pictures?

Thanks
Thanks. The plan from the get-go was to two tone them to match the outside of the car. Unfortunately, I couldn't find any leather that matched it closely. I went to a shop called Showtime Audio, here in Chicago. They do crazy work and their upholstery guy restores old Ferraris and Rolls Royces (good enough for me). I chose a really high quality vinyl that matched the outside of the car well. It's hard to tell from pictures but it's a very close match. The plus side of the vinyl was that it looks exactly like leather (I couldn't tell if I didn't know) and it will last much longer without cracking. Cost was very reasonable. Showtime Audio 2008.
Pics of inside:

·
Registered
247 Posts
Very nice. I think that's the route I am going. Did you have them put any extra padding in them when you had it done? That's half the reason I am doing mine.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very nice. I think that's the route I am going. Did you have them put any extra padding in them when you had it done? That's half the reason I am doing mine.
No, I never thought of extra padding. I got this done before the 2006 cars came out with the more comfortable seats. If I did it again, I'd probably put padding in though.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
Let us know how you like your extra downforce now since its balanced out Ramsen.

Do you have a 4 point or a 5 point harness? Looks good.

·
Registered
150 Posts
The wing is large, but doesn't look any larger than the Reverie 1650mm wing that sector111 sells.

So is your custom wing more affordable than the Reverie 1650?

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Gotta respect someone who mods the car with an eye towards actual performance function over aesthetic form.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
Good gosh man! I don't think that's going to balance with the downforce your Gut splitter offers. That's the lowest df setting? I think you're going to be doing wheelies!

xtn

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Let us know how you like your extra downforce now since its balanced out Ramsen.

Do you have a 4 point or a 5 point harness? Looks good.
Will do. It's a 4 point. I wouldn't mind a 5 point but this one has done fine for me so far. If I went with a 5 point, I'd probably want to go with the Exige seats to ensure that the harnesses went through the holes easier.

I do like the seats though.
Can't please everyone but thanks! I had them use black stitching to contrast and followed the same stitch pattern as the stock seats to make it look OEM.

The wing is large, but doesn't look any larger than the Reverie 1650mm wing that sector111 sells.
So is your custom wing more affordable than the Reverie 1650?
The Reverie is 65" and mine is 58" wide. I did not want it much wider than the fenders but wide enough to get some clean air from the sides.

My wing was definitely more affordable than the Reverie but I also provided the GUT base plate. It might be easier for future installs because mine was the first mock up that they did but unfortunately I don't know what kind of pricing they will have.

Good gosh man! I don't think that's going to balance with the downforce your Gut splitter offers. That's the lowest df setting? I think you're going to be doing wheelies!

xtn
Haha. You might be right. It's quite high but I can trim the intermediate plates to lower the height if needed to a level where the different settings will work better (titrate it, if you will). I'll know better once I get it out to the track.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
too big.

You would need a widebody kit to make that wing flow better with the rest of the car.

But hey at least your not going to be taking off anytime soon.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Didn't they have a bigger wing? Exactly what form of competition are you going to engage in where downforce is an issue? Good news is that if it makes a ton of downforce at least the car should understeer as you approach the limit. I personally like to set a rear wing at max until I get a feel for the car; if the aero balance favors the front the car can really snap away from you when traveling at high speed near the limit.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Holy Moly! That's gonna attract some attention!
Did you reinforce the clam at all?
No reinforcement. Just the GUT wing base to spread out the forces.

Didn't they have a bigger wing? Exactly what form of competition are you going to engage in where downforce is an issue? Good news is that if it makes a ton of downforce at least the car should understeer as you approach the limit.
No competition, just track days and autocrosses. I specified this wing width so that it got a few inches of clean air from the sides (I did not plan on it being so high previously). I had bought the GUT front splitter and gotten some oversteer on high speed turns and felt the need to get a wing to balance it out. I also agree with you that I would prefer slight understeer at higher speeds. If I'm getting too much understeer, I'll end up lowering the wing height a bit.

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
i like it

1 - 20 of 24 Posts