The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving from Irvine to Sherman Oaks to finally get my headlights covered at Sticker City. I passed the shop since it was so close to the freeway and on the other side of the street. So I pulled into the center median/lane that can be used by both directions of traffic for turning (i've always called it a suicide lane). I waited for traffic to clear. The entire time I could see a motorcycle cop sitting near a shopping mall driveway. I made the U-turn when no cars were around. I then got pulled over.

Quiz: Anyone know what my ticket was for?

The pisser: My first ticket in the Exige S wasn't even for speeding!

The biggest pisser: The cop was soooooo condescending!

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
i got a similar ticket in LA - paid it - did driving school online thing - the driving school said my u-turn was 100% legal... pig tax colectors in a uniform - oh well! i thought va cops were bad...oh no!! SoCal is worse! :eek:

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you make the U-turn at an intersection or a break in the center line? because that is legal. doing it from a suicide lane in a business district is illegal to my surprise. such BS!!!

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Wonder if you crossed a "double Yellow solid line". They have a suicide lane with double yellow solid lines in front of my apartment complex. A lot of peeps do make left turns into my complex, but my apt. mgmt sent a letter to everyone stating its illegal to turn on the double yellows and the popo will be enforcing it.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
I never liked cops... Never will..

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wonder if you crossed a "double Yellow solid line". They have a suicide lane with double yellow solid lines in front of my apartment complex. A lot of peeps do make left turns into my complex, but my apt. mgmt sent a letter to everyone stating its illegal to turn on the double yellows and the popo will be enforcing it.
Nope. It was clearly solid/broken on both sides, not double double yellows.

A suicide lane with double double yellows is the equivalent of an island/median. You probably already know that.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
i'd take a pic of the spot where u made the infraction and check DMV's driver handbook to see if you had a legit uturn.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is the CVC i was cited for:
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d11/vc22102.htm

What is interesting is that I have seen text for this CVC that only says that the U-turn can't be made if other cars are within 200 ft. Nothing about an opening or an intersection.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I'm not sure if I'm more pissed about getting the ticket or about the way the cop spoke to me. I'm a big 38 year old Asian guy with a shaved head and I happened to be wearing my UCLA shirt. I bet he thought he was teaching a young rich spoiled college boy driving a Lotus a lesson!

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Oh, you got ticketed for DWA. Driving While Asian..... i get pulled over all the time for it

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I must say I doubt it had anything to do with race, but rather about the misconception that I am a young dude driving a fancy car.

·
Super Moderator
5,454 Posts
The good side is someone thinks you are a lot younger than you look :)

Bummer about the ticket though :(

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
This is the CVC i was cited for:
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d11/vc22102.htm

What is interesting is that I have seen text for this CVC that only says that the U-turn can't be made if other cars are within 200 ft. Nothing about an opening or an intersection.
Got the same ticket for "illegal u-turn in a business district" in Glendale. A total BS ticket!

Professional tax collectors is all they are!

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Oh, you got ticketed for DWA. Driving While Asian..... i get pulled over all the time for it
rotfl rotfl oh I mean :mad:
The good side is someone thinks you are a lot younger than you look :)
When I got a ticket in the Elise with my 19 year old Asian American passenger the cop scolded me for speeding "with a little one in the car." I guess he thought he looked like a kid... :shrug:

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
rotfl rotfl oh I mean :mad:

When I got a ticket in the Elise with my 19 year old Asian American passenger the cop scolded me for speeding "with a little one in the car." I guess he thought he looked like a kid... :shrug:

LOL, i get carded for Rated-R movies still and i'm in my 30's now :crazyeyes

1 - 17 of 17 Posts