The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So around March of last year my daughter needed a car. I searched far and wide for months for a decent used car she could afford but everything just seemed over-priced and ragged out. My wife and I ended up giving her our 2007 Acura TL that we had bought new, and was in tip-top shape with just 117K on the clock, which left me without a car.

The car I wanted was a 2018 M2, Long Beach Blue, no sunroof, Executive package, manual trans. The problem was that the dealers weren't really dealing on them, and BMW's financing sucked, so I ended up literally stealing a new 2018 Lexus IS350 F Sport for less than I could have bought a used 2017. The dealers were literally giving them away, they had HUGE money on the lease, and .9% financing, so it was a done deal.

The IS was pretty much perfect as a DD in just about every way imaginable (other than it eats tires and drinks gas like crazy), but the M2 was always in the back of my head.

And on August 30th a dealer friend of mine called me to say he had the M2 of my dreams, and the next day it was mine. Exact options I wanted, and only 9,400 miles. I got good money for the Lexus, and paid a fair price for the BMW, but what's most important is that I'm now driving the car I should be driving.

For some odd reason I don't so much compare the M2 to the Lexus when I'm driving it, but to the Lotus. Completely different animals, for sure, but I guess the performance feel of the cars is somewhat similar. The shifter in the M2 feels long and wide, and the auto rev-match is weird, but damn the car feels like it's made out of a solid piece of granite. It moves very well too, doesn't at all feel like 3,400 lbs. And the sound, oh my, even stock it sounds fantastic. It's no Lotus, of course, but I think I made a great decision for my daily commute of 2.7 miles :p.

Anyone else here have an M2?

Attachments

·
Registered
826 Posts
Congratulations on the M2! Great choice of options or, rather, lack of unnecessary options. You will enjoy the 6 speed.

I don’t have an M2, but I have driven the M2 as well as the M2 Competition on track. Very fun and capable cars, and just the right size. I have a 1M that I bought initially as a daily driver, but now it mostly just sits in the garage next to the Evora and appreciates. The M2 is a little less edgy than the 1M (i.e., slightly more sophisticated at the limit). I’m looking forward to seeing more photos.

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Congratulations on the M2! Great choice of options or, rather, lack of unnecessary options. You will enjoy the 6 speed.

I don’t have an M2, but I have driven the M2 as well as the M2 Competition on track. Very fun and capable cars, and just the right size. I have a 1M that I bought initially as a daily driver, but now it mostly just sits in the garage next to the Evora and appreciates. The M2 is a little less edgy than the 1M (i.e., slightly more sophisticated at the limit). I’m looking forward to seeing more photos.
Man, I wanted a 1M so bad, but the price they were commanding was just unreasonable. Great investment IMO.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I sold my E92 M3 when I was in the process of buying my Evora S, almost ended up with an M2 Comp because I was getting tire of the antics of the dealer that sold me the Evora... they feel closer to the E46 M3 than any other one I had and they are wonderful cars especially as a commuter or part-time track rat. Congrats on a great ride!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Picked up a M2 Comp, love it. The only way I could get rid of the Exige is by keeping it in the family. (son sold his Elise to purchase Exige). I could write volumes on the differences, lets just say M2, competent, fast & very involving to drive. Lotus, edgy & exhilarating! Glad I have visitation rights. Different cars, impossible to say which is best. Rustyb

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Picked up a M2 Comp, love it. The only way I could get rid of the Exige is by keeping it in the family. (son sold his Elise to purchase Exige). I could write volumes on the differences, lets just say M2, competent, fast & very involving to drive. Lotus, edgy & exhilarating! Glad I have visitation rights. Different cars, impossible to say which is best. Rustyb
Yeah, no way I could give up the Exige for the M2, so I'm happy to have both.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I have a 2011 BMW 335i E90 with Msport and manual daily driver. European delivery. I know it's not an M car, but at the time I bought it, the E90 M3 was out and was just not my cup of tea for a 4 door daily driver. I almost went for a 328i Touring (E91) with the same options (manual, etc) but was lured to my doom by that crazy low-end torque provided by the N55 engine.

If you are used to the relatively low maintenance cost and lack of problems of a Toyota-engined Lotus, the BMW might take a little getting used to. I've done all the old school BMW maintenance on this one that is advised, but have still had a lot more niggling problems than I expected. It's like BMW designs these cars for the first two owners (3 year lease, then CPO 2nd owner). Things like electric water pumps, leaky gaskets, broken VANOS bolts, and many other little things can be a challenge.

Don't get me wrong - I absolutely love the car and the way it drives. It has that solid hunk of granite feel you describe, which is something that the Germans seem to do best. I just wish that they gave a damn about their long-term owners, but that doesn't seem to be their current business model. I'm not sure that I will ever buy another one, as the 3 series no longer is available with a manual transmission and has gotten way to big/generic.

Balance this duo out with a good utility vehicle, like an old truck/SUV to haul stuff with and drive in crummy weather. You'll not regret it.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's like BMW designs these cars for the first two owners (3 year lease, then CPO 2nd owner). Things like electric water pumps, leaky gaskets, broken VANOS bolts, and many other little things can be a challenge. Don't get me wrong - I absolutely love the car and the way it drives. I just wish that they gave a damn about their long-term owners, but that doesn't seem to be their current business model.

Balance this duo out with a good utility vehicle, like an old truck/SUV to haul stuff with and drive in crummy weather. You'll not regret it.
I was at a car show last night and someone mentioned the water pump needing to be replaced at 60K. I've heard of the VANOS bolts as well. Hoping I'll have good luck with this car, as I really don't drive it hard, but hey, you never know.

We have a '15 Acura RDX for all the real duties :).

Attachments

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Great looking car which I'm sure is a hoot to drive. I get it about the contrast between it and a Lotus - both are fun in different ways.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts