The Lotus Cars Community banner
21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
I'm not hurt much by losing the fog lights, I thought they looked of poor quality from the pictures I've seen. On the plus side the Exige grill should fit now, right? No need to remove or cut out for the fogs.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
I too am sort of sorry to see the fog lights go, but PIAA"s are always an option of you have to have them. Everything else sounds great.

Im curious what you mean about the center exhaust "hanging down"? You said clyde prefers it without it? Im fuzzy on what you mean? Do you mean he prefers it without chrome?

The vents are shallower? Does the car still look distinctive up front? How shallow are they? Do they still look about the same to the untrained eye?

Im jealous! Sounds like a terrific day. Sorry I missed out.

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
5,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
OneFastMiata said:
Im curious what you mean about the center exhaust "hanging down"? You said clyde prefers it without it? Im fuzzy on what you mean? Do you mean he prefers it without chrome?
The Federal Elise has twin pipes exiting throught the center of the rear diffuser, as see in the Road&Track article. The newest prototype I saw had chrome round tips added to the pipes, that's all. Clyde prefered them without the tips. You'll see what I mean when some pictures are posted.

OneFastMiata said:
The vents are shallower? Does the car still look distinctive up front? How shallow are they? Do they still look about the same to the untrained eye?
The car looks about the same from the front to the untrained eye. Before, the dip in the hood where the radiator exited was about 4 - 5 inches deep. Now it's about 2 - 3 inches deep. To get an exact idea, look at the S2 Exige front clam that's in the Evo magazine.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I really liked seeing that dip on the hood. Made to look like the exotic it is. I hope it won't look too flat of a contour. In a way, I rather have that bulge than just a screen on top of the hood. That's my opinion.

I'll try to see that Evo mag.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
The difference in curvature on the US car and the standard 111S is barely noticeable. I had to look really closely to see the difference, I'm guessing at most the front of the access panels are only raised an inch or so.
Chris

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
I liked the fog lights, they give the car a sportier look.

Just because California has a law shouldnt mean we all have to suffer. How about making a panel that we can cut out if we want to install them ourselves? However I believe most states require 6 inches of ground clearance on fog lights. In any case we arent in London where there is a lot of fog. Most of the people in the US dont know how to use them properly either, they drive with them on when their is no fog and drive with their high beams on when their is fog.

Maybe they could just put buldges on the California cars over where they are suppossed to go! Just kidding

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Thanks Clyde.

Do you know if all the options will be announced before the Auto Show in January?

Posts have been made about having to give our orders to the dealers as soon as the end of this month (dont know if this is true) but how can we do this if we dont know officially know what is available and the prices?

Is an official announcement going to be made soon as far as colors and options or are the details still being worked out?

·
Registered
81 Posts
sorry guys i just brought the car. what a wonderful machine. I have 15 hours in an F-15 and this about what I think is close to that bird. Of course full after-burners has more punch but the
Elise goes left to right in the same manner! for those who have deposits...well I envy you. soon you'll know why!

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
mopalak said:
Other news: there will be no fog lights on the Federal model. They're too low to the ground for California regulations, so they're being scrapped.
There are *no* front foglights on the Elise anyway...

The optional auxiliary lights on the Euro Elise are driving lights (long range, pencil beam) and *only* come on at the same time with the high beam.

I suspect that's the issue though, as foglights (aka. short range floodlights) are supposed to be very close to the road surface (so they light up the road underneath the layer of fog), but long range driving lights often must have a certain height.

Perhaps you guys can do the same trick as done in some european countries.. The type-apporoival for the manufacturer may not allow these lights in CA, but the dealer (or you personally) may be able to fit these legally after the car has been delivered.

Bye, Arno.

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
5,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
MotorCade said:
Nice. I love the color. The centered exhaust looks good, too. Not fond of the change to the front panels, but it's not too noticeable, so not much of a big deal.

Cade
One other change to the front that Clyde mentioned was that the old S2 had three hex-head fasteners holding down each front access panel. The Fed Elise has only one fastener per side. The rest of the panel is held in place with a tongue-and-grove fastener.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Looks like the tires are Yokohama Advan Neova AD07's

Did anyone examine the front size by chance? They seem a little 'fat' for 175/55R16 like the original Bridgestone RE040's on the european versions.

Bye, Arno.

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
5,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Arno said:
Looks like the tires are Yokohama Advan Neova AD07's

Did anyone examine the front size by chance? They seem a little 'fat' for 175/55R16 like the original Bridgestone RE040's on the european versions.

Bye, Arno.
Yep, they were the new Yokohamas. The fronts were still 175s.

21 - 40 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.