The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little background... For years I have been using clear contact film to cover the car to avoid trackrash. The kind of stuff you line drawers with. Never had any problems and worked awesome. Just peel off the track rash and you were done!

However, this time, after a recent track day I went to remove the film and it left an adhesive residue everywhere I had film.... essentially the whole front and side sills!:mad: Never did that before!

Here's the problem... There is small rock/track dust stuck to the adhesive and even with bug and tar remover it requires a little elbow grease to remove. How the hell am I going to scub off this adhesive with a bunch of adherent grit mixed in with it!?!?!?! :confused::confused:

Most of this stuff is fortunately over the starshield but still....

Anyone have any advice? Powerful solvent that won't melt the starshield and would allow a gentle wipe to remove this damn glue?

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Just brainstorming here...what about a citrus-based degreaser such as goo-gone or something else paint-safe? When I bought my car, it had vinyl stripes on it and found this worked well at removing the leftover residue.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
goo gone or WD-40

·
Registered
335 Posts
I used Goo Gone Spray Gel on my GF's RSX-S that had dried tar all over the rockers (it had sat there for probably 2 years).

Sprayed this stuff on there, let it sit for about 20 minutes, and basically wiped most of it off. I also took off the tint on the windows with it.

·
Premium Member
5,633 Posts
Mineral spirits (the home depot)but the best is label remover spray (Advance auto)

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's 3 shout outs for Goo Gone. Looks like i'll be picking some up tomorrow. I'll report back on my success.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
goo gone then clay that bitch properly. that sucks. I would stay away from any other sort of solvents-goo gone is mild BUT can still eat away at paint if left to its devices for way too long.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
That's 3 shout outs for Goo Gone. Looks like i'll be picking some up tomorrow. I'll report back on my success.
It's paint safe, but work it in small sections. I find its best to let it sit for 20 seconds before you scrub away.

·
Premium Member
6,933 Posts
WD40, goo gone all work. WD40 is my choice for years. To hell with all those dumb layers people put on the car. Drive the bitch, bring er home and just spray sides down with Wd40, wipe off, repeat. Most folks think my car still looks pretty damn good for 8yrs and 50+ track days

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Success!!! The Goo Gone was the key. Spray and let cook for 10 min. Then used a clean rag and slowly rotated as I wiped to avoid grinding any adherent grit into the paint. Then went back with more Goo Gone and a terry cloth to buff off any residual. Worked great but was a serious PITA.

Also, noticed how well the Goo Gone removes all the little track rubber marks... SOOOOO much easier than the bug and tar remover I used to use.

Easy enough in fact that I don't think I will be messing with the protective tape/film garbage anymore.

Thanks everyone.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
Spray on WD40, let set for about a minute, scrape off with a credit card, wash with Simple Green, done.
DON'T use Simple Green on these cars. It doesn't get along with aluminum ! ( will corrode aluminum )

1 - 13 of 13 Posts