The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend is a moron sorry to say. He's the equivalent to a dumb blonde, Paris Hilton type but in male form. Last night I'm parked behind him in his driveway because there's no spots on the street. By the end of the night his brother's cars are behind me so I'm like the 3rd car in. When I was leaving we all got into our cars to move them. Well before I even get my emergency brake down I see this fool put his reverse lights on and back up. Hitting the horn didn't stop him and he backed right into... errr... on top of me with his Toyota Solara. :thwack:

It's mostly starshield damage aside from the one crack in the middle of the clam right above the middle grill. There's also a deep gash on the passenger side that's clearly visible. Finally, my Lotus emblem is scratched to s*** but that's cool because I have a pair of black ones I've been meaning to put on.

How long does something like this take to get fixed? He has no problem getting his insurance to fix it. I just hate the downtime.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Sorry to see that!

I was home from college visiting my folks once and backed right into my brother's company minivan. I disabled it and caused him all kind of hassle. Sometimes we just go onto autopilot.

I can't tell you how long it will take to fix, but there are plenty on here that can. You can probably ask for a rental from his insurance company if you need it since it was his fault. It won't be an Elise though, so unless you don't have another car it's probably not worth messing with.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
That sucks.

You look pretty pissed in the reflection on that first picture. :)

·
Registered
712 Posts

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
if his insurance is going to cover the damages, take your car to prestige autobody in torrance, ca.

their shop is amazing and they do great work

sorry about your car

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Transonic,
Take it to Steve at Specialty Car Craft here in Los Angeles. Last time I talked to him he said his shop has it down to two weeks. The crack is actually in a bad spot. It is considered structural and Lotus recommends replacing the clam. If you are going through your friends insurance I would go that route, but talk to Steve they can do some amazing things.

If you ever wanted to change the horn (highly recommended), fill in the seam on the clam or put in driving lights. Now would be a good time.

Good luck

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
^a new clam is def. a must...otherwise, that crack can magically re-appear, if it was just patched up and repaired

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
It's definitley repairable, but with that crack in that spot, it's a clam-off repair, then a full paint of the front clam. I liked the first pic, where someone can be seen clearly scowling in the reflection on the front clam. :mad:
At the minimum, it would be a couple of weeks, I'd think.

Sorry you got crunched!

Tom

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
too bad... no idea how long it will take to fix that.. :(

·
Registered
106 Posts
Sorry about the damage, that really sucks.
I don't have any answers to your questions but you may want to turn your tow hook a quarter turn and let it "lay down" out of the way. If the car hit that you would be possibly looking at replacing the crash structure also.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Sorry to hear about that. Totally know how it feels. Hey, at least your ex-wife didn't yell at YOU because SHE backed into your car! (I know how that feels, too!:))

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Wow, sorry to see that. What exactly was his excuse for being so clueless?

·
Registered
6,572 Posts
Now's your chance to get an Exige front clam.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
Without doing any custom mods in the process, you're looking at anywhere from $1500 to $15,000 and two months of time.

xtn

·
Super Moderator
5,454 Posts
It's definitley repairable, but with that crack in that spot, it's a clam-off repair, then a full paint of the front clam. I liked the first pic, where someone can be seen clearly scowling in the reflection on the front clam. :mad:
At the minimum, it would be a couple of weeks, I'd think.

Sorry you got crunched!

Tom
Agree on all points. I had similar damage (but included indicator and headlight:wallbang:) and it took three weeks to repair. It was originally scheduled to take two weeks but the shop were not happy with their first spray so did it again (graphite grey).

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Weird. My wife's car is a Toyota Solara. I hope the stupid isn't related to the model being driven.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts