The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have begun to investigate whether an Elise is the next car for me. My wife gave me the idea that this is the car I should get, after reading this site and others I think she may be right.

Here is the deal, I went to Wright Lotus in Pittsburgh to check out a used one. I thought I could see if I can fit in it and wanted to test drive it. The car had sold and the only thing they had were new cars. I get in it ok. I am uncomfortable misrepresenting myself to the dealership as I will most likely do a private party transaction, finding a local car to test drive is pretty tough and even if I found one, feel awkward testing out a guys car with no intention of buying it.

Anyway, I need to test drive an Elise to see if I like it before I start a national search for a car. If you live in the Pittsburgh area and will let me test drive your car (with you in it of coarse) I will let you drive my car. We can meet for breakfast somewhere and spend a couple hours driving each others rides.

I have a 93 Dodge Viper with 27k mi. Its Black sidepipe and much like the Elise not too many unnecessary gadits like door handles or windows. It has about 440 hp and weighs just a little more than your Elise. Its got enough torque to blow your head back and the car is just a different kind of fun to drive than what your used to.

I think it could be a great day for both of us, If your interested shoot me a PM

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I have begun to investigate whether an Elise is the next car for me. My wife gave me the idea that this is the car I should get, after reading this site and others I think she may be right.

Here is the deal, I went to Wright Lotus in Pittsburgh to check out a used one. I thought I could see if I can fit in it and wanted to test drive it. The car had sold and the only thing they had were new cars. I get in it ok. I am uncomfortable misrepresenting myself to the dealership as I will most likely do a private party transaction, finding a local car to test drive is pretty tough and even if I found one, feel awkward testing out a guys car with no intention of buying it.

Anyway, I need to test drive an Elise to see if I like it before I start a national search for a car. If you live in the Pittsburgh area and will let me test drive your car (with you in it of coarse) I will let you drive my car. We can meet for breakfast somewhere and spend a couple hours driving each others rides.

I have a 93 Dodge Viper with 27k mi. Its Black sidepipe and much like the Elise not too many unnecessary gadits like door handles or windows. It has about 440 hp and weighs just a little more than your Elise. Its got enough torque to blow your head back and the car is just a different kind of fun to drive than what your used to.

I think it could be a great day for both of us, If your interested shoot me a PM
Pretty cool idea. But takes A LOT of trust from both parties. If a dealership would let you test drive one I strongly recommend taking them up on it.

As for the weight difference between a 93 viper and an Elise... I guess it depends on how you define "just a little" ;)

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
Subscribed....

:)

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
Pretty cool idea. But takes A LOT of trust from both parties. If a dealership would let you test drive one I strongly recommend taking them up on it.

As for the weight difference between a 93 viper and an Elise... I guess it depends on how you define "just a little" ;)
The 93-95 Viper is listed at about 3300 lbs, compared to an Elise of around 1990 lbs or so.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
So would my 292 whp/REV400 Elise match a 3300 lb. Viper's sraightaway performance? (Feels like it :)) Is that 440 whp? Sorry for hijacking...

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Straightline, you would take him to about 65mph, beyond 65mph where it becomes pure HP vs Drag coefficient, he would pull away. The CDA figure on an elise is actually quite bad, they traded low drag for higher downforce.

·
Registered
285 Posts
If you want to take a ride up to Buffalo on a Saturday (3 hours I think), you can test drive mine. My only rule is that I need to be in the car while you drive it.

When I first started getting interested in an Elise, I found someone locally that was selling his. I sent him a nice email, saying how I just want to learn about the cars and check his out, while I couldn't buy it yet. I showed up to his house and he let me drive it!

And man, I would love to drive a Viper. One of my neighbors has an SRT-10 and my jaw drops every time he drives by.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I say just go to Lotus of Pittsburgh and drive one. I did that at the Newport Beach dealership and had flat out told the guy I had no intentions of buying a car for at least a year. He actually let me drive the NA and the SC cars. It was enough to tell me that I had to have one.

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This post started out as what i thought was a cool idea to get to drive an Elise, it turned into a pretty cool string of comments. I did not realize the Elise was that light, I came from the aluminum extrusion industy and our company developed some to the early space frame technolgy with Audi. I worked on the aluminum fuel rail programs.
Anyway, Ill bet my engine weights 1900 lbs, its probably bigger than the Elise too.

If you get to Pgh maybe the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix, you can take mine for a ride. Its a huge event with a massive car show (2000+ cars)with each country represented in it own location.

The Elise and the viper are similar in their spartan ammenities, when I got into one the first time, I got turned on by the limited gadgets and real commitment to performance. The Gen I is selling for around $30k , even at 20 yrs old it still turns heads . The Elise seems to have the same characteristic in that you get supercar performace and looks for cost of a Honda Accord.

·
I Have Commitment Issues
2,911 Posts
why dont you come to cars and coffee at the robinson. Our schedule is on pghcnc.com. Theres a few Lotus cars that come and your viper would be more than welcome.

BTW if you are thinking about trading in that viper contact me before you do. I always liked those cars.

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
why dont you come to cars and coffee at the robinson. Our schedule is on pghcnc.com. Theres a few Lotus cars that come and your viper would be more than welcome.

BTW if you are thinking about trading in that viper contact me before you do. I always liked those cars.
I live near Settler Ridge so that would be great where and when?

I do not plan on selling my Dodge but will keep you in mind.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Were you already at a Cars and Coffee? I remember talking to some guys wife (not that way:no:) about trying to talk her husband into getting rid of a viper for a lotus. FWIW, I told her to keep the viper and get a lotus...

I live near Settler Ridge so that would be great where and when?

I do not plan on selling my Dodge but will keep you in mind.

·
Registered
4 Posts
just bought an 05 elise from wright hope it wasnt the one you wanted black tan interior but i live in the pittsburgh area it has a ikeya seq shifter in it looking to trade it (anyone iterested 2800 brand new has 3000 miles on it )for a stock one after i get the shifter i might consider it

·
I Have Commitment Issues
2,911 Posts
Post a pic. This sounds like johns car. Does it have air scoop coming off the boot? Where in pgh are you? It's not just a shifter it's the whole tranny. It's not going to be easy to swap if I'm not mistaken. Shoot me a pm with your name and contact info. I can put you in touch with the previous owner.

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yeah I think that was the one i stopped by to see, it had some type of air scoop coming from rear onto roof. I was not considering the car as I just started the process. It seemed like a really great deal though. Good luck with it, I will look for you at the CNC

1 - 20 of 27 Posts