The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this morning was my first time out of the house without the baby, the wife, or work bogging me down in nearly one month. I was so excited. I jumped in the Elise, fired her up, and went for a drive.

Long story short, I stopped at a stop light behind a white Chevy Cobalt. I stopped a little fast (so did the Cobalt), but it was nothing extreme. About 1 second later I looked into the rearview and remember thinking "holy sh** he's not going to stop . . ."

BAM. CRACK. SCREECH. BAM. CRACK.

This guy, in his blinged out Mustang, rearended me at (I think) about 15-20MPH, which in turn pushed my little Elise into (kind of underneath) the Cobalt in front of me.

Here is the culprit. Please, no comments that will get this thread locked:

The guy in front of me, a car guy himself (he knew all about my Elise -- no idea why he was driving a Cobalt if he's a car guy), had almost zero damage from my car being pushed under it:

What happened to my car, you ask? I present to you, a destroyed Elise from a low-speed crash:

Here is the tow guy literrally bending the destroyed rear splittler with a piece of wood so that the car would fit on the flat bad.

And here is the car on the flat bad -- from the side it looks like nothing is wrong.

The Larini exhaust is destroyed, as is the rear splitter and much of the underbody panels. The rear trunk cover is destroyed, as is one of the front HID headlights. There might be more damage that I am not aware of.

My guess is that this will be totaled. Thoughts?

The good part is that I am just fine. My head snapped back and forth, but no pain yet. We'll see how I feel tomorrow morning.

THe car was a mechanically perfect 2005 Bourdeaux Red car with Sport and Touring packs. It had 58,000 miles, so it's not worth a ton anyway (figure $25-27k).

We'll see what the body shop says, but with both front and rear clams needing replacement, my money is on totaled.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Ouch! Poor Elise. Most importantly is u are safe. Backlash injury may come up later. How low is the speed? Do make a checkup to make sure u r 100% healthy

·
Registered
583 Posts
The car is definetly totaled. There is no way they can get all the parts together for under $20k then installation and paint. DO NOT ADMIT TO ANY VALUE ON YOUR CAR. Mine was recently in a minor fender bender with a tire and they wanted to total it out at $35k value. I think that is fair. Mine is a 05 with 18k. SO yours should be in the $30-32k range. Goodluck.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Totalled. Buy it back and then do the repairs yourself, if the damage is limited to the clams.

·
hello
299 Posts
Front and rear clam and paint should total it. Ask the insurance for 3 cars nearby similar to yours if they lowball you. You can make it a track car with cheap clams from china if you like.

·
shay2nak
25,134 Posts
wow, sorry about the car. glad you're fine.

·
Premium Member
2,218 Posts
Sorry about your car. That look bad. A good body shop can fix it but the insurance company can make more money if they total the car... Glad you are okay...

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
A beautiful bordeaux red pearl....so sorry man. I'd try and buy back also - get a friend w/f/g skills...

·
Registered
712 Posts
Wow sorry to hear about your car and I hope you're alright.

I'm going with the consensus so far. She's gone friend.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Sorry to hear about your accident. looks like it could be fixed. As long as no frame damage. a good body shop could fix it.

Ed

·
Registered
712 Posts
I wanna know what you mean by that. And did the guy that hit you have insurance? And why does the Cobalt have tags that expired 5 years ago?
I hope that's the month that the car was renewed in.

·
Registered
265 Posts
And if this happened in Virginia, chances are the dude in the Mustang would have no insurance. OOPS, is that what ment by, no comments that will get this thread locked? No, not being racist, insurance isn't required in VA so I doubt most drivers of hoopties have it.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
And nobody wants to talk about the Ghost in the Mustang?
Zoom in on Mustang...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Perhaps I should have circled the area immediately behind the steering wheel.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts