The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GOT MINE!! THKS Lotus of Atlanta& Lotus USA!

Ok guys, I was asked not to release any info until after 0600 est today.

Couple weeks ago, Lotus of Atlanta and LCU contacted me and asked if I'd be interested in being the first to receive a customer car in the US!! As you can guess, didn't take long to say yes.

At any rate, met up with Chris C. and Eric at Lotus of Atlanta, we drove over to LCU about 1330. We all were standing around, just talking with some photogs that were covering th event. Johh, Mark, Clyde and Rick of LCU were on hand, they wouldn't let me into the back to see my car being prepped. Finally at about 1415 they brought the car out to reception, man what a sight!! Lots of pics were taken for PR purposes and I had this massive sh** eating grin on my face the whole time. After loads of pics got in for a spin, got some gas, said my goodbyes and headed home for 140 mile drive.

The first 600 miles they recommend running up to moderate throttle, varying the speeds, with short runs at higher rpms, say don't really get into the cams until after 600 miles. If you guys recall, I had the opportunity to drive a test mule last September. I really forgot just how quick this car is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOW!! WOW!!!!!!!!! I was up over a hundred in the blink of an eye, engine wasn't even working hard and I wasn't close to the cams kicking in. WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The run home was great, got lots of thumbs up and waves from people on the way home.

Unfortunately I have to work today so I'm keeping this short, will post lots of detail pics tonight!!

BTW> IF you have doubts about getting the clearbra, YOU HAVE TO GET THE CLEARBRA, the installation is so well done that you can't see any of the seams unless really close up. A neat touch is a tiny 1/2" lotus symbol watermark (you have to really look to see it) on the corner of each piece. Well worth it.

I really want to thank all the guys at LCU and big thanks to Chris and Eric of Lotus of Atlanta, they've made buying this car a wonderful experience for me!!

I also want say a special thanks all the folks at LCU and especially thank Arnie J for all his work to getting these wonderful cars in the US!!!!

Wonderful car!!
BTW> Stuck in rush hour traffic, water temp never went over 215F in bumper to bumper.

Chris - who's face is getting sore from having a massive smile since yesterday.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Forgot to add guys,

Mix of dealer demo and customer cars still slated to start leaving for dealerships today or tomorrow. Do be aware tho, they won't all be leaving at one time. It was explained to me, once the cars are released, the trucking company picks up cars/or cars based on destination and route, so sometime next week should be some happy campers out there!
Chris

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks guys, I think it's good know that they're finally getting here. I can't even begin to tell how excited the Lotus USA folks!!!!!!! Imet Rick macleish who's the new east coast dealer rep. Came from Saab. I really wanted to convey how hard they're working to get everything set, and I think as we all understand it' s a pretty steep learning curve. The new computer system coming on line should be a big help at inventory control and info.

XXX, the interior is great, from memory I think the dash is slightly different from the press launch cars in that the facings on the dash, which are plastic, have a perfed texture to them to match the door panels, looks quite nice. the dash area going up to the windscreen has kind of a rubber matte texture to it which is quite nice and reduces glare.

I've got to stop and back to work, tho I'd rather be playing. WIll take good detail shots tonight tomorrow.

Chris

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
HI Guys, I promise to post lots of high res pics in the forum for car pics.

Vin is 30028, Clyde says the US cars started at around #8 so this is somewhere around the 20th car built.

Also, guys at least initially when you put your insurance in, they'll have no record of the vins, just insist they insure the car anyway, USAA didn't give me any problem, suspect they'll make their into the system soon.

TITTY, are you getting a 111R? About the awareness, yep SUVs are HUGE , I can just about look at the middle of the door. Got lots of experience being scared as I've been riding motorcycles as my soul source of transport for a few years now!!

Chris - and yes, the sh** eating grin is still there, hope it's not permanent!!:D

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
Mean,
the secrecy was not meant for any other purpose other than to have the press release done before I put my pics up. Haven't got the press release yet btw.

I promise to take a bunch of hi res pics.

You guys are going to love these cars and was it worth the 2 1/2 year wait? HELL YEAH!!

Chris:D

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
Guys just back from work (I know, never live that down!)

LOA's demo is in with all the other elises and will come in at some point in the sequence of cars leaving brunswick. I think (just guessing here!) it's more tied to the routes the trucks are going as to who gets what first.

I'm going out to take some pics for you guys before I even drive it some more, the sacrifices one makes ;)

Chris

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 ·
HI Guys,
Had to drive around the corner to get batteries for the camera, took longer than expected (2hours):D

I'm uploading some hi res pics now in the forum.
Chris

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #133 ·
Guys, I'm going to go kind of low key, this has all been very exciting but I just don't want to become an obnoxious bore, so PM if you want any details on stuff.

BTW> Nice leisurely drive tonight, I realize why I'm so enamored of this car. It feels and handles so much like the Caterham 7 I had, but in a much more civilized and user friendly fashion. It's kind of like the 7 of the 21st century (no offense JimA!).

I realized, I drove it all the way home on interstate yesterday 140 miles with no fuss no muss. I did it in the seven a couple times and felt half dead afterwords!!

This is a great car and it's been worth the years of waiting!! The sometimes problem with information flow, the changes in midstream, all the little nagging probs have vanished. You guys will now what I mean when you get yours!! I promise.
Chris

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #137 ·
ravana,
Posted a bunch of pics in this forum, they're pretty hi res so dial up won;t like it. Mostly detailed shots I'll get outside shots this weekend

http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4368

Man, I tell you on the interstate it was wall to wall police, I felt like I had a huge sign saying I'm speeding please ticket me!

Chris - now aware that he will never live down the fact he went to work today!!

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #143 ·
_JD_ said:
Couple of questions for you Chris-

How many miles did it have when to took delivery?

It had 12 miles

How many miles do you have now?

I think close to 200 now

Does any of the glue show at the joints now?

The glue on the chassis is extremely precise with no runs that I could see, some pics of the chassis inside in the thread listed in my post up above.

How would you rate the overall finish on the int/ext compared to the show cars?

The fit and finish and textures of the different surface are so far ahead of the show cars, absolutely no real comparison. Plus the dash is finished off with the perforated facings which look very good against the perfed door panels and seats.

Did LOA recommend the two finger shift method to break in the box?

TIA
They didn't specify two finger shifting, but they did say be very gentle through the breakin until the bushings etc, loosen up. I'm really pleased with the way the gearbox feels, not as tight as an esprit box but very positive throw for me.

Don't want to get greedy- I guess that's it for now:D

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #144 ·
Ground Loop said:
When you feel like fielding some mundane quesitons --

How many keys & alarm fobs were included?

Car came with two main keys and two key pad/fob, also has an emergency access key which is just a bare key with no handle and a scan tag on it. The alarm has several different modes, with the top off, it has intrusion sensors if someone stick arm inside alarm activates. Also, the keys control central locking, hold the large button down, doors lock alarm armed, car imobilized. This is a COBRA alarm, it's quite loud (don't ask!)

From the picture of the gas cap, it appears to be non-locking.
True?

No locking gas cap, but I think enough space to put one in their, think I'll check with UK folks see if it's the same diameter port, failing that, might go to a parts store and try different ones. I would like a locking cap.

How's the owner's manual? Does it have the same break-in instructions as the Aussie cars? Any threats of warranty-voiding for high revs?
Manual is quite good, 190 pages, has lots of specs details also torque specs for wheels etc. I think it's the same text as the 111R, I've posted pic below. An interesting aside, they don't recommend using child care seats but they do tell you how to attach one to the passenger seat, also CAN"T deactivate the passenger air bag.

Hope this helps.
Chris

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #156 ·
xxx,

The colors in some shots are not great as I had to lighten up some of the pics with photoshop., The logo on the steering wheel is pretty close match in color to the nose badge.

To be honest I don't know if it's pre wired for running lights. Not sure what the little panel is, I'd thought it was a fuze box, but I've yet to finish the manual.

Ground,

As I understand it dot doesn't require a locking cap, they require the gas cap to be covered by a flap. The pic didn't do the gas cap cover justice, it's got a brushed surface and I think it's laquered, looks really cool.

Randy,

I'll try to get pics this evening.

Chris

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #157 ·
Maintenance schedule:

After sales service 1000-1500 miles or 12 months.

Oil and filter at 4,000 mile interval or as required.

Inspect air cleaner at 7,500 miles or as required.

Inspect brake pads/discs @4,000 mile intervals.

Check transmission fluid at 22,500 miles.

New spark plugs/air cleaner at 30,000 miles.

Change transmission fluid at 45,000 miles.

New coolant at 4 year intervals.

New alarm battery at 1 year intervals (this is the actual alarm battery the powes the alarm should power be cut to the car)

Chris

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.