The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some advice here. I got my call today from Naples. I can lock in tomorrow but I'm not sure what I should do. I can't do a manual because I plan to share the car as a weekend car for the wife and I. I want her to enjoy it as much as I will. However, she can't drive stick and has no desire to learn. So my issue here is I can grab the V6 auto or do I just wait for the I4? Also, I am not a true car guy if I'm being honest. Don't get me wrong I love cars but I'm not going to take it to the track or try to mod the engine or anything in that nature. This will just be my garage kept baby that I take out every Friday to enjoy life. So in my shoes what would you do? Is the V6 worth a little extra if I'm still going automatic? Or is it a waste of money? One big perk is I'd have the car in 5 months compared to well over a year. Thanks for any input!

Premium Member
Go for the V6.

1) earlier delivery, more fun, less waiting

2) proven Toyota based powertrain (my understanding is it's essentially the same as Evora)

3) AMG I4 is new for Lotus, I'm sure it's sweet but could have teething issues like any new design

4) nothing wrong with a paddle shift auto IMHO

5) SO buy-in will pay dividends, especially when you start shelling out $$ for Emira maintenance and upkeep (instead of upgrading the kitchen countertops 馃槒)

Just my thoughts. Enjoy.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Go for the V6.

1) earlier delivery, more fun, less waiting

2) proven Toyota based powertrain (my understanding is it's essentially the same as Evora)

3) AMG I4 is new for Lotus, I'm sure it's sweet but could have teething issues like any new design

4) nothing wrong with a paddle shift auto IMHO

5) SO buy-in will pay dividends, especially when you start shelling out $$ for maintenance and upkeep.

Just my thoughts. Enjoy.
That's what I am leaning towards, just wanted to hear some confirmation like this from people who know more about motors than I do. I keep hearing about the durability of the V6 engine which is amazing for maintenance. I currently have a 2018 F-type dynamic R. It's a V6 and slower than the lotus, but I still feel like it's a rocket. I don't think I'd even want anything too much faster lol. Prior to that tho, I have only driven various kia SUVs for the past 8 years so my speed threshold is low. Thanks for the advice!

Registered
@Nlsmith2123 I would still call you a car guy! I've raced roller skates (LOL), go karts RC Cars, and motorcycles but never raced a car, but still consider myself a car guy. I have wrenched on many things, but have no desire to wrench much any longer.

Just being interested in a Lotus makes you feel like a car guy to me. If you really want it now I would go with the V6, you can always buy an AMG I-4 later if for some reason that really seems more desirable down the road.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@Nlsmith2123 I would still call you a car guy! I've raced roller skates (LOL), go karts RC Cars, and motorcycles but never raced a car, but still consider myself a car guy. I have wrenched on many things, but have no desire to wrench much any longer.

Just being interested in a Lotus makes you feel like a car guy to me. If you really want it now I would go with the V6, you can always buy an AMG I-4 later if for some reason that really seems more desirable down the road.
That is true, thanks for the support. I just hear people complaining about the torques and weights etc and that stuff is all way over my head lol. I appreciate a beautiful car tho which is what drew me to the lotus. I love the lines and the uniqueness of it especially now that I have seen more colors. Some of them look so amazing.

Registered
Go with the V6 auto as it will probably be cheaper or the same with all the options priced in for the I4 and with the way inflation is going. You'll also get it sooner rather than later and if you're financing any portion of it, you will be saving more since auto loan rates will continue to go up due to fed hikes.

Registered
I have to agree with the others. I would buy the V6 auto, especially if you're "not a true car guy". If you are otherwise ready to buy, I would not wait around for the I4. If the I4 makes your heart sing, that's a whole different story.

Premium Member
Need some advice here. I got my call today from Naples. I can lock in tomorrow but I'm not sure what I should do. I can't do a manual because I plan to share the car as a weekend car for the wife and I. I want her to enjoy it as much as I will. However, she can't drive stick and has no desire to learn. So my issue here is I can grab the V6 auto or do I just wait for the I4? Also, I am not a true car guy if I'm being honest. Don't get me wrong I love cars but I'm not going to take it to the track or try to mod the engine or anything in that nature. This will just be my garage kept baby that I take out every Friday to enjoy life. So in my shoes what would you do? Is the V6 worth a little extra if I'm still going automatic? Or is it a waste of money? One big perk is I'd have the car in 5 months compared to well over a year. Thanks for any input!
I bought an automatic sportscar once thinking my wife will drive it and she even said she would, but she only drove it 3x in the 5 years I owned it. I wanted a manual, but I was also thinking she would enjoy the car and she also, like you wife, didnt want to learn manual. But after buying the car, she changed her mind and said 鈥渋ts your toy鈥 and I regretted just buying a manual for it.

My point is not all wives really will drive their husband鈥檚 hobby car. You might even regret not buying the manual version if your wife actually never drives the car.

Even some of my Lotus friends say their wives wont touch their cars even if they know how to drive manual. Just my opinion. Also I wasnt a true car guy, but when I bought the Lotus Elise, wow, it really changed my perspective on how a car should be. I always smile everytime I go out with it. I thought after one year of ownership, I would just sell it as if it was a fad, never happened. Its been 10 years now. Wow. The only car I have ever kept that long for in my life. Lotus really makes these cars for people who love to drive. I also just let my mechanic do all the work. I cant even change oil on a car. 馃槄

oh and i would choose the v6 because it has a toyota modified engine that they also used in the evoras which say how well built they are. My lotus has a toyota engine. Its a 2005. Still runs great. No problems. Toyota are built to last. I dont know if the mercedes engine can say the same?

Registered
2021 Evora GT - Epsom green/Zest yellow/Carbon pack
I'd go with the v6 manual man. The v6 is fab and the engagement with the manual is really nice. I thought it would be a pain in the ass but it's wonderful every drive and I dont regret my decision one bit. Proven reliability is something you don't come across often with cars similar to the Emira or the Evora so that peace of mind alone should be the dealmaker for the v6. Oh and the sound 馃檶

The upside to the amg motor is the potential tuning capabilities, the dct and fart noises in-between shifts which could sound amazing. Reliability at best is questionable with any new merc engine but with a high strung turbo 4 banger...tbd

Your car your choice! At the end of the day you're driving a Lotus and we'll all love you for it.

Registered
The V6 - automatic is possibly the worst version..

The Toyota U660E gearbox is from 2006 and not compareable to the modern double clutch gearboxes.

I would suggest to find a IPS Evora to test it and then try a Merc. A class to compare both systems. - Should not be that hard to so a comparison.

If i had the chance before i buy a car for 100'k + i would to it.

Registered
i4 pros over V6:
  • Aluminum rear subframe instead of steel for V6
  • Lighter weight
  • Lower CoG
  • Boost likely induces a dramatic surge in power so it "feels fast" vs V6's more linear "deceptively fast" power delivery so you quickly get up to speed without realizing or feeling how you got there
  • more transmission refinement as a DCT
V6 pros over i4:
  • Racier sound/more aggressive exhaust note
  • More power/quicker
  • Bulletproof engine (though AMG could be more than sufficiently reliable for your needs, I'm just not familiar with it)
The i4 more closely follows the traditional Lotus formula of lightweight 4-cyl like icons including Europa, S1/S2/S3 Esprit, and Elise. That enhances visceral handling and engagement. The V6 is the new guard along the lines of Evora and S3 Exige where some lightweight ethos is compromised by increasing size and weight to support more power. But the i4 sort of straddles the middle ground by not being as toyish as the old guard but being substantial in size and more buttoned down like the new guard.

Despite lacking a manual, i4 would be the purer yet modernized Lotus play--lower price just sweetens it. I prefer the V6 primarily for its manual and secondly its sound. But if manual were off the table, I'd lean toward the i4.

Registered
i4 pros over V6:
  • Aluminum rear subframe instead of steel for V6
  • Lighter weight
  • Lower CoG
  • Boost likely induces a dramatic surge in power so it "feels fast" vs V6's more linear "deceptively fast" power delivery so you quickly get up to speed without realizing or feeling how you got there
  • more transmission refinement as a DCT
V6 pros over i4:
  • Racier sound/more aggressive exhaust note
  • More power/quicker
  • Bulletproof engine (though AMG be more than sufficiently reliable for your needs, I'm just not familiar with it)
The i4 more closely follows the traditional Lotus formula of lightweight 4-cyl like icons including Europa, S1/S2/S3 Esprit, and Elise. That enhances visceral handling and engagement. The V6 is the new guard along the lines Evora and S3 Exige some lightweight ethos is compromised by increasing size and weight to support more power. But the i4 sort of straddles the middle ground by not being as toyish as the old guard but being substantial in size and more buttoned down like the new guard.

If not for lacking a manual, the i4 would be the purer Lotus and lower price just sweetens it. I prefer the V6 primarily for its manual and secondly its sound. But if manual were off the table, I'd lean toward the i4.
V6 quicker than I4 AMG /w DCT? I think that has been disproven. The I4 has more torque, quicker to 60, lighter and has a much much faster transmission to help. It will beat the V6 on the track and in a straight line. Not to mention a tune will bring it to 500hp and it will obliterate the V6 Toyota. The manual V6 will be more fun and have a better sound. That is the reason to buy the V6 over the I4.

Product Font Screenshot Parallel Number

Registered
Boe rev300 - Built cylinder head all ferrea parts and bowl ported - Larini exhuast
I also just sold a F-Type and moved to the lotus world.
I would think you are going to miss the exhaust sound if you get the 4 cylinder.

Premium Member
Not to mention a tune will bring it to 500hp and it will obliterate the V6 Toyota.
Why is everyone assuming you can tune the AMG? Are they not familiar with Lotus and how restrictive they are when it comes to making ECU modifications? If I were a gambling man, I'd put money down that there will be Lotus-specific encryption on the MB ECU(s), if they even bother to use the MB ECU(s) at all. Guess what they don't use with the V6 engines? That's right, the Toyota ECUs. They went and got their own made by EFI, and applied their own encryption to it.

Registered
V6 quicker than I4 AMG /w DCT? I think that has been disproven. The I4 has more torque, quicker to 60, lighter and has a much much faster transmission to help. It will beat the V6 on the track and in a straight line. Not to mention a tune will bring it to 500hp and it will obliterate the V6 Toyota. The manual V6 will be more fun and have a better sound. That is the reason to buy the V6 over the I4.

View attachment 1315070
I didn't realize the turbo acceleration time had been published (news to me) or I didn't care to pay attention to that spec. Last fastest I remember seeing is 4.2s for the V6 auto (actually all of the tech spec docs/pdfs I have saved don't list i4 specs). So the i4 is as fast or faster than the V6 but counterintuitively costs significantly less. But how do the top speeds compare? If the V6 has a higher top speed, then it's technically still quicker to that speed if the i4 can never hit it.

And yeah "more transmission refinement" implies faster shifts but I guess I could have been more explicit.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts