The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok... got my elise last monday! BRG with LSS. Neil and Andrew were great to work with, I still recommend Autostrada!

I picked up the car, cruised around the hill country roads there in Austin, including driving the devil's backbone and across Mansfield dam. Met Lumn8r when he picked up his car wednesday morning, and also met Dave Simkins of Lotus USA.

The car gets lots of attention, some good, some bad.

I got my service done in Dallas, at 800 miles on the car, and Thursday at 2pm, I started out towards Memphis, TN. I slept that night somewhere near knoxville and drove the tail of the dragon friday morning.

the dragon... WOW. Ran it several times... easy to pass most bikes, and keeps up with all but the fastest sport bike riders. That road is awesome. I also sped rapidly down the hill away from the dragon towards robbinsville with an S2000 in hot pursuit. I didn't know the road, so I kept it at about 8/10ths, and when I got to the TVA sign at the bottom of the road, we pulled off and chatted for a bit. His brakes were smoking. The Elise was running cool and happy at 186 degrees.

That afternoon I drove a pretty good chunk of the Blue ridge parkway, until it got too dark and foggy. After that I got back out of there and back on the highway. The parkway had a chunk that was closed, so I had to go back down through Asheville again, and take 26 up to 81. Ended up sleeping in Staunton, VA. Went to a friends wedding Saturday afternoon in DC, and now I'm back down in VA beach. 2818 miles on the car already.

I've got some niggly issues that need to be taken care of... some kind of really loud rattle at certain rpms. It may be the heat shield or the manifold heat sheild, but whatever it is, it's really obnoxious. I've also got something that sounds to me like a throwout bearing, but Dave Simkins thinks it's just gear noise, so I defer to expert judgement.

The passenger side headlamp has dropped down a tiny bit behind the fiberglass, leaving the rubber trim bit loose. Any suggestions on how to fix? I'm going to take a look at it closer tonight and see what I can do. I will probably have to remove the wheel arch liner and get to the housing to do anything, which is ok, since the headlights are WAY off. I feel like I'm overdriving the lights at 35 mph. It was not a safe feeling on the highway at night, and demanded a lot of concentration.

The seats are perfect for short commutes, but they really start to hurt my hips after about 30-45 minutes. I need a (very slightly) wider seat.

If you're considering not getting the ultrashield, I caution you... I have rock chips already. several of them. I didn't want to get the ultrashield because I plan to put stripes on the car first, but no one even installed the standard stick on pieces for the rear fenders. I'm going to have to touch up a number of places at the same time as I have the stripes done. Not happy with that... the paint is very easy to chip. I dropped a wallet size spare key for a mini (small plastic key) on the spoiler by accident, and it scratched a pinhole through to the fiberglass. That's ridiculous. I've also heard that some ultrashield installs have pulled paint when people tried to remove a piece of film. How about a decent primer coat, Lotus? WTF?!

Overall, however, I'm extremely happy with the car, and it was definitely worth the wait. I'll upload pics when I figure out how to get them to a reasonable size.

And if you haven't driven the dragon... Go. Can't say that enough. It's beyond description.

Cade

PS... sorry for the change of travel plans if anyone was hoping to meet me in GA. I was forced to modify plans due to time constraints.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Congratulations and welcome to the club!

Regarding the paint, I wonder the same about the primer but think the problem is that the GRP the clam is made of is quite fragile and it is the weakest link but its the price we have to pay for a lightweight car.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Cade, we must meet up ASAP! Congrats on the car. See my post that I just made.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
congrats,enjoy :clap: :clap: :clap:

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Pictures! BRG is one color we haven't seen much of! Post them please!

And congrats!:)

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Congrats man, so when are you going to get your avatar mod?

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
MotorCade said:
the dragon... WOW. Ran it several times... easy to pass most bikes, and keeps up with all but the fastest sport bike riders. That road is awesome.
Cade,

Congrats on the car? Dave Simkins was at Autostrada?

BTW did you cross the double yellow lines doing the Dragon? LOL:D

Check your PM

·
Registered
361 Posts
Motorcade,

Congrats! I saw your car sitting in the back when I picked up mine. They had a couple of cars waiting on out of town owners. 2 Greens and a Yellow.

I have to second all that you said about Autostrada. They are great. With all of the dealer horror stories on here it just makes Autostrada seem all that much better. I think they've received something like 16? cars or so now. Neil was great. Guaranteed me MSRP when I put down my deposit in 2003. Moved me up the list when people dropped out, and engineered a 4 way swap when a bunch of us (all near the same delivery time) decided we wanted to change colors! I couldn't be happier with them.

I guess Dave Simkins was also at Autostrada looking into the A/C freeze issue, which has happened to me a couple of times. No big deal, it doesn't happen if you leave the fan on high. I'll let them solve it and fix it during a future service.

-Dave
'05 Lotus Elise (BRP, Touring, Hardtop)
'00 Porsche 996C2 aero
'03 Evolution VIII
'89 BMW M3

·
Registered
413 Posts
Cade- Sounds like an awesome trip. I'm picking up my boss' car in Atlanta Friday and heading back here Saturday (through Asheville and --possibly-- Tail of the Dragon. Will definitely hit the Blue Ridge Parkway too- foliage should be in full tilt. Stopping by Christiansburg, VA to visit family and then back to VA/DC on Monday.

PS- going to see VA Tech play GA Tech Thurs. nite (on ESPN)
Go Hokies!

·
Registered
971 Posts
Cade,

It was good meeting you last week. I'm glad you had a safe trip home. You got a few more miles than me. I arrived at my sister's place with just about 2015 miles. I was glad for the star shield as I found a few spots that would have been nasty chips without it.

Is the throwout bearing noise you mentioned kind of a whispered scraping noise? Mine makes that when I have the accelerator pressed. It stops if I push in the clutch or let off of the gas. Glad to hear it is just gear noise.

Are you in the same lot that needs the control arms re-torqued? I had a message from Patrick to call him. So after talking to him I have an appointment with Ferrari of Denver to get it done while I am down for Thanksgiving.

Andy

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks all! Sorry I haven't been on here every day recently.... been out having fun driving...

I got an adrenaline rush when I saw the pics posted of me on the dragon... the drive was THAT good.

Foliage was definitely in full tilt on the pkway...

Yup, the noise sounds like a metallic rattle... comes and goes exactly like you describe, Andy.

Hadn't heard anything about the control arms... I'll have to get that checked... It may not apply to the LSS cars?

Pics soon.

Cade

·
Registered
971 Posts
Cade,

It turns out the control arm issue was an over reaction to a one off issue. But I appreciate Patrick's quick phone call alerting me to a potential problem; and Andrew's email letting me know that it wasn't a problem after all.

Andy

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey everyone! I'm the owner of the S2000 that was in, literally, hot pursuit of Cade's new Elise.

Even though I don't own an Elise, I am a sports car lover and have great respect for your car.... I anticipate that I will be a future owner of one at sometime or another... :)

Anyway, to get to my point, I had a blast trying my best to keep up with that little car. BTW, he is not stretching the truth when he said my brakes were smokin'!! -- I was just happy to stay as close as I did --

Here are a pic of the the chase and a few pics just afterwards...

Finally, here's a nice example of the what the dragon looks like...

Enjoy the pics, and even more important... Enjoy your awesome cars!

Take care,

-Dave

MotorCade said:
-snip-
the dragon... WOW. Ran it several times... easy to pass most bikes, and keeps up with all but the fastest sport bike riders. That road is awesome. I also sped rapidly down the hill away from the dragon towards robbinsville with an S2000 in hot pursuit. I didn't know the road, so I kept it at about 8/10ths, and when I got to the TVA sign at the bottom of the road, we pulled off and chatted for a bit. His brakes were smoking. The Elise was running cool and happy at 186 degrees.
-snip-

And if you haven't driven the dragon... Go. Can't say that enough. It's beyond description.

Cade

-snip-

1 - 16 of 16 Posts