The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 3 years of ownership, I got my first flat tire. Fortunately I discovered it in my garage. I don't have a lot of faith in the 'fix a flat' can. It appears to be a screw or nail in the bottom. I think I should be able to get it patched.

I thought about leaving the car sitting on a single jack stand but it's much higher than the other side so I propped up both sides.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
I started hearing a tapping noise about a block from my house last year. A guy flagged me down because of this: ImageUploadedByAG Free1399335452.267492.jpg

I don't have any faith in fix-a-flat either, so I just got the roadside assistance for $5/mo extra in case it happens on the road. Glad you were as lucky as I was!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
12,147 Posts
Fix-a-Flat (generically used) has a shelf-life of only a few yrs.

Get Slime, and a tire puncture kit.

Carry a small compressor.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fix-a-Flat (generically used) has a shelf-life of only a few yrs.

Get Slime, and a tire puncture kit.

Carry a small compressor.

Tire puncture kit? I thought the latest technology was to patch it from the inside. I'd need a tire de-rimmer machine (or whatever you call it) to put the patch on.

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
Tire puncture kit? I thought the latest technology was to patch it from the inside. I'd need a tire de-rimmer machine (or whatever you call it) to put the patch on.
You plug it so that you can limp over to the shop for them to patch it properly.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I used fix a flat on my completely flat Daily Driver tire at Christmas and am still driving on it fine today, don't know why it wouldn't work on our Lotus tires if you just need it to get to the shop for a new tire?

·
Premium Member
12,147 Posts
You plug it so that you can limp over to the shop for them to patch it properly.
I used my kit to fix a friends flat on a Cayman. He used that tire for many months, which I am not recommending.

Note, tho, that we were able to jack up the Porsche and remove tire for this work.

I used fix a flat on my completely flat Daily Driver tire at Christmas and am still driving on it fine today, don't know why it wouldn't work on our Lotus tires if you just need it to get to the shop for a new tire?
No one said it wouldn't work, but:

If the hole is too large you'll need a plug kit.

As above, limited shelf life. Slime finished 1st in a m/c magazine test...but you need a compressor.

Any cut in side of tire, we're done: tire must be replaced immediately.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Not sure about these cars but the new camaros don't come with spares and they supply this slime type of repair as well. The worst part about using these is that people complain that they ruin the TPMS requiring you to buy a new one(pricey) and that they are a pain in the ass to clean off on the inside of the rim when you get the tires patched up.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
I carry a 12v compressor and a plug kit; if it requires more than a plug, I am out of luck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts