The Lotus Cars Community banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Matt, f* em. we live in the land of the golden rule, and you know the rule I'm talking about. Some of us had good foresight to get on the list early, and we our driving at MSRP. But if I hadn't done that, I would have paid the premium too.

Now go out and kick some ass in that beauty!!

Jer

·
Registered
591 Posts
Matt,

I envy you. I took a lotof pictures of the car when it came in. It is very nice. My wife wanted to buy it right then, she is less patient than I am:D It is a beautiful car, but it only match 2 things I wanted in the car; it was an Elise and it had the touring package. I really wanted the Aubergine, Sports Package and hardtop, so I passed. I am willing to wait for my car. September build date, so I expect it late October, early November.

Ignore the jealousy. Some people haven't worked as hard, and/or been as fortunate as you to be able to have the disposable income you do. They are just angry that they have been on lists for a long time(I have been on the list over a year, some as much as 3 years) and feel you have unfairly jumped the line. You didn't make the rules, you just seized the opportunity presented to you. I see as more of a Airline scenario. If you spend the money for a first class ticket, or travel alot, you get to go in the short First Class/ Gold member line at the check-in counter. Sometimes there is even a special security line. I don't hate those people (I get to be one sometimes) I envy them. Sometime I snicker at them because they pay a lot more and get only a little more in real utility. After all we all end up at the same place at almost the same time. But convience has real value, and some can just value it a bit more.

Great car, I hope you enjoy it.

Greg

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Same here Matt, enjoy your car, it is just plain gourgeous!!!

It was really tempting but I didn't want to give up the sport suspension.

As a side note, don't worry, it's not you they are upset about, but Overseas selling an unallocated car before they sold any customer car, but they are there to make money.

If Overseas doesn't mind that other customers that have been waiting two years for their car get upset because someone can just walk in and pay a premium and get a car now, that's Overseas problem, not yours.

Anyway, congrats again you lucky dog!!!

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
>>>If Overseas doesn't mind that other customers that have been waiting two years for their car get upset because someone can just walk in and pay a premium and get a car now, that's Overseas problem, not yours. <<<

What exactly should a dealer do? Offer it to the list in order of their number? How long does each person have to get back to them? What if someone is out of town for a few days and the dealer calls? Does this all need to be in writing and publicly accessible so that each list member can individually confirm that they were treated fairly? What if the list member who said they no longer wanted their car (and the reason why it became available off list) now changes his mind again? Are they now back of the list? Can they buy it for a premium now yet only a day may have passed? All sorts of other scenarios come to mind. Oh yeah what if the rejected car exactly meets someone's needs but they are way down the list - skip the higher ups? And what about the folks on a list (such as myself) who are well into next year so the dealer is clueless about what the person wants color wise, options etc? So an exact match may have occurred but the dealer has no way to know this, and in any event it's not someone high on the list. If someone falls off list there are a number of things that can be done. Selling that car over MSRP might not be that bad since no list person lost their spot. And in many areas of the country sports cars are of less interest come October / November. Opinions may vary.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Sell it down the list at MSRP comes to mind, call me crazy :)

Myself I have no problems with dealer charging market price, since I think it's going to die down soon. (reads 3 months)

If I get a car at MSRP from another dealer or a used one once they become available, they can't call foul and I'll take my car to their service dept.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
I would offer up that I'm certain someone on their list probably ordered a car like this one. If so, that probably should have been the destination for the car. If not, then I got no issues...

·
Registered
353 Posts
offroadr35 said:
move to china if you have a problem with it. this is a capitalist society. MSRP is just that, a suggested retail price...get over it.
You've got to be kidding me. If you were standing in my face I have a good feeling you wouldn't have said this. If so, someone need to teach you how to respect others. The last thing we need is smart ass people lecturing fellow enthusiasts.

There is no geting over a dealer who is dishonest, has been holding desposit money for two years, and cares very little about keeping customers happy. BTW, it's not the amount over MSRP that bothers most of us. It's the allowance of Overseas to let others jump-the-line based on greed over customer satisfaction.

·
Registered
353 Posts
MJC123 said:
The premium I paid wouldn't have come close to covering the sales tax on the other cars I was considering. One of those was the Ford GT, the premium on it is the price of the Elise.

p.s. Didn't pay $10k over
p.s.s Going to drive my Elise now. What are you doing?
p.s.s.s. This is all in jest!

:p
This is exactly what I would expect. Enjoy yourself...

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Well,
I can top that one Matt. The day the info was released about the first car being delivered to a customer, me, I got an email from a dealer raising hell to me about why was I the first, blah blah blah, after I got up off the floor I asked him in no uncertain terms where the hell he got off raising hell with me about it, I'm a customer (very happy too!) His issues certainly aren't with me. He said some of his customers had called to complain about.

If anyone's mad about anyone getting a car by paying a premium, seems like the issue is with the dealer, not the customer.

Chris
>I know, easy for me to say, I've already got my car.;)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Chris... this is true.. the lexus does have the cup holders every girl needs, especially for our Starbuck Mocha Frappuchinos.... but the main reason I said it was hot and also that its a great combo is because I too have a Lexus and soon, an Elise!

<p>
I LOVE THAT COLOR - Its crazy (originally the color I wanted) until the "Chrome Orange Mafia" got me......:D

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
LyndaElise said:
Chris... this is true.. the lexus does have the cup holders every girl needs, especially for our Starbuck Mocha Frappuchinos.... but the main reason I said it was hot and also that its a great combo is because I too have a Lexus and soon, an Elise!

<p>
I LOVE THAT COLOR - Its crazy (originally the color I wanted) until the "Chrome Orange Mafia" got me......:D
:huh:

21 - 37 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.