The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Modern Day Hippie
3,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For over 6 years I have been with VPI pet insurance. In the past year I've had a horrible time with their claim department. I found out that they signed one of my two dogs up for the wrong policy and they have admitted fault. Because we are already in it, they won't let me change until Jan 2010, even though it's their mistake. I have called 3 times about this and spoke with managers & supervisors and nobody will correct this. Finally today they got me in tears. I feel so taken advantage of because they won't correct their mistake which would actually make them more money in the long rung. Argh. I'm looking for another health insurance company for my dogs. Does anyone have any recommendations? Currently I spend about $700/year for coverage. That's fine with me, I just want to be with a company that takes care of their customers. Also, I'm curious what my rights are in this. I plan to file a complaint with BBB, but don't know if I should consult a lawyer.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Think about it. Over the course of 10 years can you possibly imagine spending over $7,000 on vet bills? (we're talking dogs and cats here, right? Not horses or tigers or that sort of thing.) I haven't spent that much in 30 years, including the cost of the animals!

·
Registered
7,722 Posts
Think about it. Over the course of 10 years can you possibly imagine spending over $7,000 on vet bills? (we're talking dogs and cats here, right? Not horses or tigers or that sort of thing.) I haven't spent that much in 30 years, including the cost of the animals!
yeah but we have seen what happens to your pets when they get sick.
theyre locked in a permanent pose on someones mantle...
:)

·
Modern Day Hippie
3,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Dogs can have some serious bills. I actually canceled their insurance for a year in the past and ended up spending over 2k that year paying for everything out of pocket. If they are in an accident or have serious health issues come up like cancer, it can be 10k a bill. It's just like health insurance for humans. I'm relatively healthy, yet I invest in insurance, just in case the unforeseen happens. My dogs are like kids to me that never grow up. They are very much a part of my family and day to day life. When my ex lost one of them I was going to put my Elise for sale to raise more money to offer as a reward, fortunately someone called me with just $1k as a reward. I spent another $2k just trying to find him, advertising, search services, etc.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
How ironic, a VPI ad appears at the bottom of this thread!

·
Modern Day Hippie
3,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How ironic, a VPI ad appears at the bottom of this thread!
Horrible. Hate them. As soon as I find a new company I'll be canceling my coverage with them.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
I go back and forth on the pet insurance issue. I've spent TONS on pet medical bills (it comes with the territory when you have older animals), but I still wonder if I'd have paid less in the long run with insurance. :shrug:

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
I guess I should point out that buying insurance (of any kind) generally guarantees that you will pay somewhat more than the average (of whatever costs you're insuring against) over the long run. The benefit is that it's a "known", relatively constant cost, and you're not exposed to the expensive outliers...

·
Registered
331 Posts
I debated the pet insurance thing before getting my Chow "Lulu" 2 years ago. I passed. Although I've spent over $5000.00 to correct defects caused by imbreeding (get a mutt), I still don't regret passing on the insurance for the very experience that Agent Triple X is experiencing. Pet insurance is a relatively recent development and I am not aware of any pet insurers who have been around long enough to research their track record and reputation. As an ex-lawyer, I did not want to fool with the time, expense, and frustation of having to sue the insurer to pay off. And I figured that is exactly what I would have to do if they had to pay an expensive claim for the treatment of a catastrophic illness or injury. Sorry X, you have nothing to lose by contacting the BBB, but don't expect much since their members are business. Depending on how much money you are out, a lawyer might be your only recourse. Please let us all know how this turns out and if you find a reputable pet insurer.

·
Registered
232 Posts
That is very unfortunate. We have all of our dogs with VPI and have had no problems.

Our oldest dog had cancer three years ago and they covered treatment per plan description ~$7000. Our female beagle had both ACLs repaired ~ $3000.

I would recommend you go up the chain, even find the name of a corporate officer of VPI and go direct with your experience. This seems totally out of character for them.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
It's sad to know that a company would take advantage of a client with regards to their pet.

We have 2 cats and a new Greyhound and no children. They are like our children though. I couldn't imagine any company preying on that bond for money.

Thank you for the post, and I hope they rectify the situation for you and your loved one.

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
5,800 Posts
Think about it. Over the course of 10 years can you possibly imagine spending over $7,000 on vet bills? I haven't spent that much in 30 years, including the cost of the animals!
I just dropped $3k getting my dog's knee repaired.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Think about this, last cat bill....$5,000. $7,000 over 10 years is easy especially if you have multiple pets.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Think about this, last cat bill....$5,000. $7,000 over 10 years is easy especially if you have multiple pets.
Think about this....YOU'RE CRAZY!:panic::panic::panic:

And, sorry ****, but I think you've been staring at your car's color a bit too long. Again...:panic::panic::panic:

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
5,800 Posts
And, sorry ****, but I think you've been staring at your car's color a bit too long. Again...:panic::panic::panic:
What should I have done, let it limp in pain the rest of its life or simply shot it in the head?

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Maybe I've become a cold black hearted SOB in my old age, but these costs are just mind boggling to me. Before I had kids my pets meant a lot more to me. They were my kids. Now they are my animals. Somehow having kids changed all that. I like to think I'm a fairly responsible pet owner, and as such provide/pay for the care they need. I once flipped for a $1,500 surgery to remove a guitar string from a cat's intestines. I don't know if I would do that today. I shelled out $200 a couple years ago to have the vet tell me the cat's in renal failure and only has days to live. (which, BTW, the little bugger is alive and well to this day) But where do you draw the line? Do you pay whatever it costs? For my kids I would but not my pets. So I ask - is there a point where it would have cost too much and putting the dog down was the logical solution?

·
Registered
7,722 Posts
Dogs can have some serious bills. I actually canceled their insurance for a year in the past and ended up spending over 2k that year paying for everything out of pocket. If they are in an accident or have serious health issues come up like cancer, it can be 10k a bill. It's just like health insurance for humans. I'm relatively healthy, yet I invest in insurance, just in case the unforeseen happens. My dogs are like kids to me that never grow up. They are very much a part of my family and day to day life. When my ex lost one of them I was going to put my Elise for sale to raise more money to offer as a reward, fortunately someone called me with just $1k as a reward. I spent another $2k just trying to find him, advertising, search services, etc.
how much does it cost to put a poor, sick, or seriously wounded animal to sleep?

after having real kids of my own, the human kind, not a dog or cat or whatever, my philosophy has changed. i pretty much mirror dasmooflers sentiments.
to each their own....if you wanna spend thousands on your pets, i wont judge that. not my pet, not my money.
just offering a different opinion.

i think selling a car to raise funds for an animal is a bit extreme for me, but again, do what makes you happy.

as far as insurance for pets, if i was so inclined, i suppose i would call around to different vet offices and see who they suggest and why....

1 - 20 of 29 Posts