The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been running the R4's on and off the track and I really liked them. Is it worth sending them back for the correct ones or will I not notice the difference? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
R4-S doesn't work well on the track at all. The pad goes away as soon as it gets even a little warm. Return and get the R4 for the track.

ed

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
R4S is worse than oem on the street; noisy, poor cold stopping power, and only marginally better on the track. A compromise pad that dosn't do either job particularly well.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
R4S=street

R4=track
R4S is worse than oem on the street; noisy, poor cold stopping power, and only marginally better on the track. A compromise pad that dosn't do either job particularly well.
So why not just use the R4s on the street? Are they noisy?

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
I have R4 Porterfields. I there are a LOT of brake dust using R4 pads. After a short drive in the mountains, my polished SSR's (wheels) are COVERED WITH RUST COLORED BRAKE DUST!!!

I haven't used R4S pads, but I assume there is very little dust.

So here's the compromise:

R4 pads: great stopping power creating piles and piles of brake dust!!!
R4S pads: reduced stopping power and reduced brake dust.

So....what's the verdict??:shrug:

--Hal

·
Registered
63 Posts
My R4S experience is on my Miata where they are better in all categories sans dust than OEM.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I have had R4S pads on my Exige since August of '07 and have used them for two track days at Buttonwillow race track (SoCal).

My experience has been that stopping power - on street and track - is comparable to the OEM pads. My typical track day covers about 200 miles +/-. With each track stint covering 10 to 15 laps typically (about five or six stints in my 200 mile track day), the pads have the opportunity to get plenty hot. I have not experienced any brake fade or loss of braking power.

However, I will likely go to a different pad (when these are toast) as I would like more aggressive stopping power.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
As an update, I have experienced fade since my last posting, above. Twice, during my last track day on 4/10/08 when at the end of a long-straight away where braking demands are greatest, the R4-S pads faded to the point that I thought they were not going to scrub off enough speed for me to safely turn.

I change my position and agree with other comments that recommend them for street use, only. Accordingly, I have switched to Pagid Blacks as my car has regular track use, and I want to be able to actually slow and stop on demand.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I have R4 Porterfields. I there are a LOT of brake dust using R4 pads. After a short drive in the mountains, my polished SSR's (wheels) are COVERED WITH RUST COLORED BRAKE DUST!!!
I have R4 Porterfields, and my wheels are now COVERED WITH EXCESS EXCLAMATION POINTS!!!!!!

ed

·
Registered
257 Posts
I just tried new R4S pads on the track for the first time this past weekend, and I'm in the process of ordering different pads. I don't know that they're dangerous, but to me they certainly had less bite than the OEM pads. They've been fine on the street, where I do 98% of my driving, but I don't want them on the track again. I went off twice - first because I expected better stopping power so I didn't push the pedal hard enough, the second time because I couldn't push the pedal hard enough to get the ABS to kick in. Just wouldn't stop or even bite to the ABS point.

I thought the anti-R4S opinions were overstating things, but I've been converted. No more track days with these pads.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts