The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In general, I try to drive safely....though "safe" and the posted speed limit are often two different speeds.

I had just gotten off the interstate, and was accelerating through a section of town and managed to catch the eye of a state trooper. He was turning the opposite direction, but apparently turned around and started coming up behind me.

About 3/4 of a mile back, he turns his radar on. The radar detector goes off and I drop it down to 45 (the posted limit for the section of road), and I start looking around to see if he's in front or behind. As he gets closer, he flips his lights on and we pull into a parking lot of an industrial building.

As I'm thinking about it, I comment to the girlfriend "I don't think he got me on radar".

The following is the exchange:

Officer: You're in a hurry, where are you guys headed.
Me: No hurry, the speed limit is only 45....
Officer: It was 35 back where you passed me
Me: *Nod*
Officer: License and registration
Me: Here's license and insurance. If you want the registration, I can produce it within 24 hours.
Officer: You're required to have it in the vehicle
Officer: Is this address on your license still current?
Me: Actually, I live at $new_address
Officer: How long have you lived there?
Me: Oh...a few months now
Officer: So you're out of compliance there as well?!?
Me: *Shrug*
Officer: When was the last time you got a ticket
Me: Not really sure
Officer: A month? A year?
Me: Couldn't tell ya
Officer: So how fast do you think you were going back there?
Me: The better question is...how fast do you think I was going back there *grin*
Officer: So we're going to play it that way?
Me: I'm genuinely curious, how fast do you think I was going?
Officer: Wait here *goes back to his car*
***Less than 10 minutes elapse***
Officer: I'm giving you a warning, slow down
Me: Have a great evening.

What I find amusing about the encounter is that I could tell he realized he screwed up. He hit his radar on too early, and gave away his presence. And tried to get me to admit to speeding. I guess I was kind of a dick....but I'm convinced it kept him from trying to press the issue further when I didn't respond with the traditional cower and fear response.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
In general, I try to drive safely....though "safe" and the posted speed limit are often two different speeds.

I had just gotten off the interstate, and was accelerating through a section of town and managed to catch the eye of a state trooper. He was turning the opposite direction, but apparently turned around and started coming up behind me.

About 3/4 of a mile back, he turns his radar on. The radar detector goes off and I drop it down to 45 (the posted limit for the section of road), and I start looking around to see if he's in front or behind. As he gets closer, he flips his lights on and we pull into a parking lot of an industrial building.

As I'm thinking about it, I comment to the girlfriend "I don't think he got me on radar".

Me: Here's license and insurance. If you want the registration, I can produce it within 24 hours.
Me: The better question is...how fast do you think I was going back there *grin*

What I find amusing about the encounter is that I could tell he realized he screwed up. He hit his radar on too early, and gave away his presence. And tried to get me to admit to speeding. I guess I was kind of a dick....but I'm convinced it kept him from trying to press the issue further when I didn't respond with the traditional cower and fear response.
First rule of dealing with officers when you are under suspicion of committing a "crime", is not admitting to anything.. so good job! even if you were a little smug. :p

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
You got lucky, he could have easily f...d up if he wanted. You did not have your registration?! Inaccurate address? Sarcasm? Lucky man.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They can run the vehicle registration via the plate. I've never carried the registration in any vehicle. Never had an issue with the 24 hour response.

The only thing he could have given me would be:

A) No registration - I produce it in court and the ticket is waived
B) Inaccurate address - I fix it, again, ticket resolved
C) Reckless driving - He'd have to prove it in court, and with a good attorney I'd beat it and have a pretty good harassment complaint.

At most, it would have been an inconvenience.....but an inconvenience to be sure.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Man, I never get the cops who ask questions like this. They just walk up, tell me why they pulled me over, ask for license, registration and proof of insurance, come back a few minutes later with a ticket and send me on my way.

There was that one time I got pulled over because a few people called in complaints on my driving, but the cop didn't see any of it. So it was just a lot of him yelling and me yawning.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Does everybody carry their registrations in the trunk? Has it at all created a conflict with an officer regarding the retrieval of the registration during a traffic stop? And if I were to open the trunk, do they have the right to search the trunk?

For me, I have gotten out of every ticket with a warning in the Elise. Once I am pulled over I turn on the lights, put my hands in plain view, I admit guilt, and I ask if it could drive away with a warning...Never once in 4 stops have I been ticketed. Granted: The cops here are very lenient on traffic stops, they won't bother pulling you over unless your 15 over.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Does everybody carry their registrations in the trunk? Has it at all created a conflict with an officer regarding the retrieval of the registration during a traffic stop? And if I were to open the trunk, do they have the right to search the trunk?
I carry my registration and proof of insurance back there. I've had one officer look at me funny, one tell me to get out of the car slowly, and another said, "ok.".

The one who looked at me funny was being a dick, the one who was cautious was generally nice and the other guy just didn't seem to care. I'm not sure why anyone would be on guard pulling over a Lotus of any sort.

As for searching the trunk... good question, don't know.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm not an attorney, but I believe the trunk is similar to the glovebox. If you open it, he can look inside, but can't physically search it without your permission....unless he has reason to suspect something illegal in there.

·
Registered
580 Posts
FWIW, any radar measurement he may have gotten while moving wouldn't have accomplished much. It is extremely easy to challenge the accuracy of radar shot from a moving vehicle, either on the grounds of calibration or non-specific targeting.

Lidar is something of a different animal, but I've never seen any donut sharks shoot it form a moving vehicle. Likely you could argue against accuracy in that case as well.

As to your insurance/reg, keep them in a small envelope and wedge it under the AC controls from either side. Getting out of the car to produce documentation tends to make the sharks nervous.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I keep my insurance folded up under the garage door opener, clipped in the small area on the left side of the wheel. Generally, cops don't like you getting out of the car for your safety and theirs. My dad was a cop and told me to first and foremost be respectful. "Yes officer, no officer" and so on. Its tempting to be a jerk, especially in a situation like this, but don't give them a reason to f#$% with you, because they can...

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Yeah, what's the deal with having to carry your registration? Do they have a problem with their cruiser computers going out or something? It wasn't an issue in NJ where they are credit card sized, but most states make them glove compartment sized.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
My dad was a cop and told me to first and foremost be respectful. "Yes officer, no officer" and so on. Its tempting to be a jerk, especially in a situation like this, but don't give them a reason to f#$% with you, because they can...
I always abide by this rule, and i never gets me anywhere. One time the cop actually wrote on the back of the ticket how nice and courteous I was however. It still didn't stop the DA from dicking me in the ass, they wouldn't cut me any slack on my first ticket in 7 years. I know he meant well, but it's no wonder people are rude to cops if being nice gets you the same result as being an *******.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
What people sometimes forget is that most of us (if not everybody, really) break many driving rules everytime we drive (above speed limit, lane changes, etc.) The cops are supposed to enforce these rules and people get pissed off when they get caught. You get caught, just accept your fault. If it is unfairly treated or unjustified, then you can certainly get peeeed off. My last ticket on the Lotus doing 56 on a 35 and I know I was speeding, just for a couple of secs, but that's all it took. I got pulled over, I was polite and the cops eventually loosened up once they saw I wasn't a d.ck to them.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Although I would love to start the conversation with "WTF is your problem dickweed", descretion always wins out over valure. Ive never been let off though. Maybe just saved a few more made up tickets.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Speak of the devil I just got stopped for left turn against the sign and he had problems looking up my info on his computer. Then he wrote me up and recommended I go to trial. Hmm.

·
Premium Member
26,313 Posts

A warning.

I've never had a warning...just tickets.

Lucky you....:clap:

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
FYI

They can run the vehicle registration via the plate. I've never carried the registration in any vehicle. Never had an issue with the 24 hour response.

The only thing he could have given me would be:

A) No registration - I produce it in court and the ticket is waived
B) Inaccurate address - I fix it, again, ticket resolved
C) Reckless driving - He'd have to prove it in court, and with a good attorney I'd beat it and have a pretty good harassment complaint.

At most, it would have been an inconvenience.....but an inconvenience to be sure.
lately most squad cars have a camera so for C you might have been SOL if he wanted to write you. I know for a fact that every time somebody wanted to fight a ticket even with a $$$$ attorney, the video was enough for the judge! So be careful out there, drive safely and be curteous to the law enforcement folks.........just remember how many "tools" they deal with in a 10h shift!..don't be one of them!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts