The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took off from a light and got to 8,000 rpms in 3rd before I shut it down to slow for a turn, so you do the figuring (I don't want to incriminate myself). I turned off the road in to my neighborhood and see the red and blue flashing behind me. Cop walks up and says "license and insurance", then asks me "how fast do you think you were going?" I replied "50" (speed limit is 50). He laughs and says "try again." Obviously trying to get me to admit guilt. So I asked him how fast he thinks I was going. He says he didn't get me on the radar. Says he heard me "winding it up from a couple of blocks away." Anyway, I was polite and courtious and he asked that I take easy in the future and let me go. Guess I got lucky...

·
Registered
992 Posts
close to 100?

Took off from a light and got to 8,000 rpms in 3rd before I shut it down to slow for a turn, so you do the figuring (I don't want to incriminate myself). I turned off the road in to my neighborhood and see the red and blue flashing behind me. Cop walks up and says "license and insurance", then asks me "how fast do you think you were going?" I replied "50" (speed limit is 50). He laughs and says "try again." Obviously trying to get me to admit guilt. So I asked him how fast he thinks I was going. He says he didn't get me on the radar. Says he heard me "winding it up from a couple of blocks away." Anyway, I was polite and courtious and he asked that I take easy in the future and let me go. Guess I got lucky...
in my sc'd car, that kind of rpm in 3rd may not be legal in some parts of Montana. Oh wait, it was on a track, i can say how fast it was! 95mph.

She sounded good too.

That what u were at?

·
Registered
992 Posts
not to hijack the thread, but, Chris since u mentioned track time, have u driven Driveway Austin? i'm looking for a poorly-veiled excuse to visit family there and try that track. All i've heard is great stuff. Of course I can wait til the threedigit temps are gone!

...back to regularly-scheduled programming about (not) breaking the law...

·
Registered
2,591 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
are the "revenue police" that bad in austin?
I have quite a few friends in the SA, Austin area, they all say the Police are quite present, but don't really mess with the "nicer cars" unless you're doing something really stupid...however ricers don't get this treatment...I have no idea on the truth of this statement, I've never had a problem on my trips to Austin, SA. so YMMV.

Strangely I went to Jail in Lubbock, TX for basically the exact same thing...Cop heard a car "hauling ass". Pulled me over, when he did I was going the speed limit. sent me to jail. impounded my car, etc...

all charges were eventually dropped.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
not to hijack the thread, but, Chris since u mentioned track time, have u driven Driveway Austin? i'm looking for a poorly-veiled excuse to visit family there and try that track. All i've heard is great stuff. Of course I can wait til the threedigit temps are gone!

...back to regularly-scheduled programming about (not) breaking the law...
You have to stay several sessions on the L1 track (technical,but little change in elevation) before they let you move onto the L2 part of the track.

A better bet would be to go down the road to San Marcos and try out Harris Hill road H2R,its a very fun track right out of the box. Several people on here are members.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cool cop! You got lucky. Nice to hear stories like this now and then.
He was not being "cool" as much as he just didn't get me on the radar. He was actually quite pissed off when he walked up. I live in the city and have a couple of buddies that are on the force with him. I tried dropping names, but he said "knowing them won't stop you from getting a ticket," so I'm assuming lack of evidence as to my speed did. He was also a patrol officer, not a traffic officer. If it had been a traffic officer, he'd written me for something. All they are there to do is write tickets.

I gues he was "cool" in a sense that he didn't write me for no front plate. He did mention it though.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
BTW, track time is cheaper than tickets and insurance increases.
You said it and I know it, but I do enjoy a spirited evening drive every once in a while, especially with the break form the 100+ degree days we've had this week. It's too hot for the track right now. I'll be back at it in the Fall.

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
Dont get caught next time ;)

stay speeding :evil: :up:

·
Registered
315 Posts
I have quite a few friends in the SA, Austin area, they all say the Police are quite present, but don't really mess with the "nicer cars" unless you're doing something really stupid...however ricers don't get this treatment...I have no idea on the truth of this statement, I've never had a problem on my trips to Austin, SA. so YMMV.

Strangely I went to Jail in Lubbock, TX for basically the exact same thing...Cop heard a car "hauling ass". Pulled me over, when he did I was going the speed limit. sent me to jail. impounded my car, etc...

all charges were eventually dropped.
I'll have to agree with your friends in SA. I have a SY Elise and drive much faster in it than my Z even mistakenly zipping past unmarked cars and I've only gotten pulled over once in the Elise and the cop, after talking about the car for a bit, gave me a friendly verbal warning that I should have a front plate installed... but in the 350Z, I get pulled over left and right and get the third degree.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Yeah as far as cops not harasing "nicer" cars its more due to the fact teens cant afford $40k cars meanwhile hondas, subys and other ricers are more affordable and a dime a dozen. I generally stay within the speed limit but cruise 5-10 over the limit. Ive been pulled over several times in my suby, full exhaust, and its not very quiet. I got the I heard you coming from a mile away story a few times but I never exceeded the limit and they never got me on dar. One cop trailed me home and as I made a turn up a long hill to my house he then flipped his lights on. First thing he said to me was you trying to out run me? I almost laughed but held it in. Speed limit is 35 in town and I was actually going 30 just tootn home. I wanted to say if I was trying to out run you we wouldnt be talking right now but didnt. Halreys are a lot louder than my car yet Ive never seen one get pulled over for being loud. Being pulled over for an assumption is real annoying. If they have no proof your were speeding they shouldnt be allowed to pull you over. I consider it profiling if they pull you over cause they heard you coming thats bull.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Cops are cracking down like crazy in California, I HAVE NEVER EVER seen this kind of police force on the road. They are handing out fix-it tickets and cell phone tickets like candy. I think we can figure a better way to help with CA cashflow...lol

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
the revenue enhancement mentality has even come down to the pissy little town of washington, pa., as the grass length patrol are running around handing out $300 dollar fines for long grass or putting your trash out too early.
pure madness.
of course, the city's properties go unmowed.
the merchants have been having trouble woth the parking meter prices locally, so they are doubling the rates...THAT should help the merchants to move out of town...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.