The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was coming into town with my wife (taking a movie back), not paying any attention, and then blue lights came up behind me. I just had knee surgery a couple of days ago, so I was going to hobble out of the car and hope he would feel sorry for me! As soon as I opened the door, he said on his loud speaker, "Stay in the car". I thought, oh no an ahole. He walked up to my door and said license and proof of insurance. I told him about why I was getting out of the car and he didn't laugh. I asked him how fast was I going and he said 67 in a 55. By now another police car had pulled up, and there were 3 police behind me. I yelled, "yall let me go and I'll take you riding". No laugh again! Two of them eventualy came walking up and said we have never seen one of these. We are only giving you a warning ticket. I got out, they wanted to see the engine and then asked, how fast will it go. I told them 67 and I finally got that laugh. They were both very friendly after the intial meeting.
I guess the moral of the story, Be nice and hopefully they will be nice back!

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
i got pulled over too about a week ago. i was going a little over 130 then coasted to the next stop light then took a right, i look behind me and there is a a state patrol. i have a V1 and it never picked up any radar so i know he didn't have his radar on. thats why he said i was only going a little over 100. i ended up getting a ticket for 99 mph in a 65. i was pretty lucky, this was the first time getting pulled over in the lotus after 3 years of owning it.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I was coming into town with my wife (taking a movie back), not paying any attention, and then blue lights came up behind me. I just had knee surgery a couple of days ago, so I was going to hobble out of the car and hope he would feel sorry for me! As soon as I opened the door, he said on his loud speaker, "Stay in the car". I thought, oh no an ahole. He walked up to my door and said license and proof of insurance. I told him about why I was getting out of the car and he didn't laugh. I asked him how fast was I going and he said 67 in a 55. By now another police car had pulled up, and there were 3 police behind me. I yelled, "yall let me go and I'll take you riding". No laugh again! Two of them eventualy came walking up and said we have never seen one of these. We are only giving you a warning ticket. I got out, they wanted to see the engine and then asked, how fast will it go. I told them 67 and I finally got that laugh. They were both very friendly after the intial meeting.
I guess the moral of the story, Be nice and hopefully they will be nice back!
I have gotten out of many many tickets (and also some larger infractions) the same way.. Simply being friendly and courteous goes a long way...

·
Registered
170 Posts
i got pulled over too about a week ago. i was going a little over 130 then coasted to the next stop light then took a right, i look behind me and there is a a state patrol. i have a V1 and it never picked up any radar so i know he didn't have his radar on. thats why he said i was only going a little over 100. i ended up getting a ticket for 99 mph in a 65. i was pretty lucky, this was the first time getting pulled over in the lotus after 3 years of owning it.

in malaysia once i came over a small incline and spotted a police car way ahead of me sat behind some slow moving trucks on otherwise empty road. long before i reached him i took my foot off the accelerator and coasted respectfully up behind him. he was doing 90km right on the limit as was the trucks. i was in a hurry to get to sepang so when his speed dropped just below i overtook all respectfully like doing about 90.1 ish. he follows me around the trucks and imediately pulls me over. i never went over 92 ish when passing him . i knew it was a piss take (bribe) but the ordacity of the guy (he couldnt have had me on his radar as he was in front of me when i was actually speeding) kinda pisssed me off....so i got out the car and they got out and told me to get back in - which i didnt. he told me i was speeding doing 120km/h. i knew for sure then he was lying as i was in fact flat out -doing 225km/h when i first saw him infront of me rotfl rotfl which i didnt mention.

needless to say i refused to pay the on-spot fine/bribe and he eventuallly gave up trying to get me to. no ticket -nothing.

bad news is he pullled out behind me and sat there for the next 20km making it impossible for me to get any speed up:mad: i also refected on the fact that in this wild west country it doesnt pay to make enemies of the law as they are the best armed crooks in the country

fwiw i dont condone speeding on public roads but this is on a major open expressway (sing - kl) practically deserted and i was only hitting it on wide open areas with little to no traffic (early morning) where i could see miles ahead also i usually just pay these bribes withoiut fuss every time i drive up to sepang (everyone does - its seen as a kinda tax ) but at least normally they pretend to catch you by ensuring your actually infront of them when your speeding no a few km behind! i hindsight i should have just paid the bribe as i have many times before- you never now

on one trip up our whole convoy was pulled by a gang of police. imagine 8 lambourginis and 12 lotus each getting the 50 buck fine/bribe treatment at the side of the road

·
shay2nak
25,083 Posts
LOL I should use the "I'll give you a ride for warning" next time.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Cops

Quote: "I guess the moral of the story, Be nice and hopefully they will be nice back"

Same thing happened to me last year in a rather loud Gulf Blue & Orange Ford GT. 93 in a 65 !! I pulled over to a safe spot, lowered both windows, both hands on the wheel at 12 o'clock, each with license and registration. Cop came over and said "You done this before I can see. You know this care is very visable in traffic?"

"No sh*t officer..." (in a rather sarcastic voice), was my reply. He about died laughing. He checked the docs and said "Git outa here...a little slower!" :D

G.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Wow, another West TN guy. If I saw an Elise in Martin/Union city I would have passed out before I read this thread.

·
Registered
4,240 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
The more I got pulled over stories I read the less I want to get an elise lol. Not really but the cops in my small arse town pull anything over that just looks fast or sounds fast. You then end up with half the force behind you cause they have nothign better to do. Got pulled over on my bike once, Failure to use a turn signal was his excuse. Simple infraction dut I ended up havign 4 cops behind me. People driving by were looking at me like I musta done somthn really bad. OF course a couple friends saw and gave me crap but I can only imagine gettn pulled over simply cause of the car itself. Read a few threads where you guys have been pulled over cause the cop wanted to see the car. Anyway you are right about being nice to the cops. I have yet to get a ticket even after a slight attempt to out run.

·
Registered
4,240 Posts

·
Puff Daddy
3,872 Posts
I'm always courteous but I'd never think to joke around blatantly with an officer. It makes you sound arrogant and confident you can get out of the ticket by schmoozing them. :shrug:

Oddly enough, I haven't received a ticket since I got my CCW. The cops around here seem to be more lenient to those carrying a weapon while having the proper training.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
In the last 18 months since owning an Elise, I have had 3 tickets :mad: and all of them in my Jag XJ8 :wallbang:

I think it's a combination of having a K40 fitted in the Elise and generally being more paranoid when I'm driving it.

In all cases though I have tried to be polite and respectful and in all cases I have still got a ticket. What am I doing wrong :shrug:

·
Registered
952 Posts
in malaysia once i came over a small incline and spotted a police car way ahead of me sat behind some slow moving trucks on otherwise empty road. long before i reached him i took my foot off the accelerator and coasted respectfully up behind him. he was doing 90km right on the limit as was the trucks. i was in a hurry to get to sepang so when his speed dropped just below i overtook all respectfully like doing about 90.1 ish. he follows me around the trucks and imediately pulls me over. i never went over 92 ish when passing him . i knew it was a piss take (bribe) but the ordacity of the guy (he couldnt have had me on his radar as he was in front of me when i was actually speeding) kinda pisssed me off....so i got out the car and they got out and told me to get back in - which i didnt. he told me i was speeding doing 120km/h. i knew for sure then he was lying as i was in fact flat out -doing 225km/h when i first saw him infront of me rotfl rotfl which i didnt mention.

needless to say i refused to pay the on-spot fine/bribe and he eventuallly gave up trying to get me to. no ticket -nothing.

bad news is he pullled out behind me and sat there for the next 20km making it impossible for me to get any speed up:mad: i also refected on the fact that in this wild west country it doesnt pay to make enemies of the law as they are the best armed crooks in the country

fwiw i dont condone speeding on public roads but this is on a major open expressway (sing - kl) practically deserted and i was only hitting it on wide open areas with little to no traffic (early morning) where i could see miles ahead also i usually just pay these bribes withoiut fuss every time i drive up to sepang (everyone does - its seen as a kinda tax ) but at least normally they pretend to catch you by ensuring your actually infront of them when your speeding no a few km behind! i hindsight i should have just paid the bribe as i have many times before- you never now

on one trip up our whole convoy was pulled by a gang of police. imagine 8 lambourginis and 12 lotus each getting the 50 buck fine/bribe treatment at the side of the road
cops may be the best armed, but KL taxi drivers are the biggest gang of crooks there...

·
Registered
310 Posts
I got pulled over one night. Guy next to me in a BMW wanted to race for 3 lights and proceeded to rev his engine and shoot past and then brake, then shoot past and brake. In that process I lost track of my own speed and at one point was 11 miles over the posted speed limit. :shrug:

At that time a cop pulls up behind both of us at a light, uses the loud speaker telling both of us to pull over and not try to run! WTF- RUN? We pull over. I am expecting a speeding ticket only. What I got was written up for a SPEED CONTEST, both cars were impounded, and I have to appear before a judge now and face a class B charge as well as a 60 day suspension of my license. :eek:

Cop even said to me, I know you weren't giving it your all in that race cuz you could have killed that car and he was ahead of you most of the time. I said NO ****! That is because I WASN'T RACING! Prior to this event I have only 1 other speeding ticket on my record and no history of street racing at all. Bottom line... wrong place, wrong time, in the wrong car. Cop was really a dick! South Salt Lake Police SUCK! :wallbang:

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
I got pulled over one night. Guy next to me in a BMW wanted to race for 3 lights and proceeded to rev his engine and shoot past and then brake, then shoot past and brake. In that process I lost track of my own speed and at one point was 11 miles over the posted speed limit. :shrug:

At that time a cop pulls up behind both of us at a light, uses the loud speaker telling both of us to pull over and not try to run! WTF- RUN? We pull over. I am expecting a speeding ticket only. What I got was written up for a SPEED CONTEST, both cars were impounded, and I have to appear before a judge now and face a class B charge as well as a 60 day suspension of my license. :eek:

Cop even said to me, I know you weren't giving it your all in that race cuz you could have killed that car and he was ahead of you most of the time. I said NO ****! That is because I WASN'T RACING! Prior to this event I have only 1 other speeding ticket on my record and no history of street racing at all. Bottom line... wrong place, wrong time, in the wrong car. Cop was really a dick! South Salt Lake Police SUCK! :wallbang:
How very unfortunate, when did this take place?

·
Registered
310 Posts
This was back in Feb. My lawyer is battling this right now for me and I hope to have resolution by mid June. Really bothered me because I really felt targeted in this case. I actually do everything I can to avoid street races and I couldn't believe I got charged with one when I wasn't. Funny thing the cop didn't even use a radar gun or anything. He said that he can simply determine all by himself whatever he thinks looks like street racing. I am sure if I was in my wife's minivan in the same situation it would not have been seen as a race at all.

First thing he said to me when I was off the street was, what kind of car is this? Looks expensive. Hope you had fun cuz it's going to be taken from you tonight! Impound fee, lawyer retainer, towing bill today this little adventure has cost over 1100 bucks and I am still not proven innocent and face further fines. :clap:

·
Registered
16 Posts
You should look up articles about proper behavior and attitude when getting pulled over. I've been pulled over about 10-12 times in the past 12 years and I haven't received a ticket.

Word of advice: don't ever get out of your car unless instructed by the police officer. Their lives are in danger every second on the job and that type of action is considered threatening.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts