Votes: 25 13.0%
  • No

Votes: 73 38.0%
1 - 20 of 343 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Totally off-topic of course, but I'm curious, who here believes in God (or your equivalent)? Really don't want to start a fight, just wondering how many fishes I'll be seeing on the back of those Elises! :)

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Grace
She takes the blame
She covers the shame
Removes the stain
It could be her name

Grace
It's a name for a girl
It's also a thought that
Changed the world

And when she walks on the street
You can hear the strings
Grace finds goodness
In everything

Grace
She's got the walk
Not on a ramp or on chalk
She's got the time to talk

She travels outside
Of karma, karma
She travels outside
Of karma

When she goes to work
You can hear the strings
Grace finds beauty
In everything

Grace
She carries a world on her hips
No champagne flute for her lips
No twirls or skips
Between her fingertips

She carries a pearl
In perfect condition
What once was hurt
What once was friction
What left a mark
No longer stings

Because grace makes beauty
Out of ugly things

Grace finds beauty
In everything

Grace finds goodness
In everything

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Two of the dictionary meanings that apply to me, and probably everyone here :)

personal beliefs or values
- a set of strongly-held beliefs, values, and attitudes that somebody lives by.

obsession
- an object, practice, cause, or activity that somebody is completely devoted to or obsessed by.

So yes I have strongly held beliefs and i'm obsessed as well about some things.

I guess I have religion then.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I agree with Little Bastard: I believe in God but not Religion.

Bob

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Regarding the poll, I voted "no", based upon the "Got Religion?" Had the question been "Got God?" I would have had a more difficult time answering, because the question itself requires some clarification.

When you refer to "God" do you mean the typical Western Islamo-Judeo-Christian O³ (Omnipotent, Omnipresent, Omniscient) deity?

Does it include typical eastern deities, pagan, nature-worship?

How about other, more abstract beliefs?

I personally believe that the Everything (the containing set of the Universe and everything else, physical and non-physical beyond the extents of the Universe) has a driving energy behind it. Howeveer, I am not sure if the Everything Energy is a sentient being, although it is a sum of all of the energies within the Everything, some of which are themselves sentient. I believe in Order and Chaos (the Yin and the Yang, if you will) as two diametrically opposed components of the EE, which dance a perpetual ballet of balance. I believe in infinite life, in that transmission of energy, however minute, is a contribution to the EE, which is infinite. I also believe in fate. I believe in hard determinism. I believe that everything that happens to us is the result of a series of inevitable events that date back to creation, if there was such a thing. I also believe that if a sentient being created Everything, it decided in advance how history would play out. I believe that there's a reason for Everything, but I haven't figured it out yet. For now, my primary concern is my own happiness and secondarily the happiness of everyone else on Earth.

Not sure if you'd say I'm a theist based upon that. :)

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Just to clarify:

The poll question was actually 'Do you believe in God?', which I clarified in my starting post as "God (or your equivalent)." (ie: Buddha, etc.) Anyone who says they believe in God but not religion should have voted 'yes'. :)

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
According to the Merriam-Webster dictionary, one definition of "religion" is:
the service and worship of God or the supernatural
Ok then, maybe you say that you don't worship and therefore don't believe in God? Here's another definition of religion:
a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith
Since a belief in God is one based on faith, I don't see how you can separate yourself from religion, at least as it's defined in the English language.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
transio said:
My attention span didn't last past the thread title. :D
LOL , I understand. I should get the thread renamed to the same as the poll.

·
Registered
758 Posts
agnostic
someone who does not know, or believes that it is impossible to know, whether a god exists.

That would be me. I'll never ever be smart enough to know if there is a god, short of him/her/it/other zapping me. But I hope there is :D

I'm not sure if it's possible to believe in God (or gods) unless you have religion, because the very definition of 'religion' is to have faith in God, a god, or gods. You just might not have faith in any practiced religion. I'm just nit-picking :)

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Atyclb wrote:
I am a Christian
And so are 3 of the 4 members of U2! ;) :)

I'm technically a Catholic, but I tend to follow the Jesuit order because they're the "Learned Priests."

Bob

1 - 20 of 343 Posts