The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here's the situation. Last month my company filed for chapter 7 out of the blue and I'm on the job hunt, and my savings has taken a hit. I just got the call from Autostrada today that my car has arrived. This sucks for me because last I heard it was probably going to be November or December.

I had already arranged financing for a certain amount. If I were to accept the car right now, I would have enough to pay the bills for the remainder of the month, but next month would be probably be impossible. However I think I'm really close to having another job so it might work out.

I told Autostrada the situation and told them I'd call them back in a couple days. So what would you do?

Here's what I'm contemplating
- Calling my financier (Capitol One) and bump up my loan amount by 5k. But I don't know if they would re-check the current employment etc. This would give me at least some short-term flexibility.

- Hold off on buying the car as long possible.. I think Autostrada would hold it for at least a couple weeks. Maybe to the end of the month. But then what? Eat the deposit? Ask to be moved to the next order group? Who knows when I'd get my car then. Probably never.

- I think buying it, then selling it sucks for multiple reasons. First, there's no guarantee that I could get enough for it. Secondly.. I WANT THE CAR. If I flipped it.. then I'd have to get at the end of a list somewhere. OMFG! I might as well not get it at that point.

- Maybe knocking over a liquor store for the mortgage payment would work? :)

- Any other ideas?


BTW
Bordeux - Touring (Black) - Hardtop - sigh
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
670 Posts
I'd call the dealer and explain the situation. I imagine there is someone further down the list that has orded these specs. Ask the dealer to give him your car and give you his spot.

I think buying a new car with only 1 months worth of cash left would be stupid.


Steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,201 Posts
I will wait unless you are paying the car in cash. You are not. And you will be stressing big time if new job offer does not come through.


Tell the dealer to swap your spot with someone lower on the list.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
758 Posts
I'm not too sure. Thats a tricky one. Would a liquor store yield enough ?! Plus they're pretty dangerous places. Who knows whats behind the counter. I'd go for the jewelry store myself. The blonde behind the counter would be too worried about breaking a nail to stop you. The Elise would make a pretty sweet get-away car too !
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,577 Posts
I am in a very similar situation. I left my current employment and got the call to place my final order and send my (now nonrefundable) second deposit.
If the Lotus arrives before I get out of here and have gainful employment, things will be VERY hard for me. As it is things are tough around here without a paycheck.
I decided to finalize the order and send the deposit. Not getting this car is something that I would regret for a long time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,150 Posts
I like the trade-down the list idea. Otherwise, can you not get home eq loan for a month or two, or use a cc? I'd buy the ELise if I could buy myself enough time to get the next job. If you can't or are unsure about the job, you probably shouldn't buy the car. It would be pretty awful to have the thing repo'd later.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
866 Posts
Perhaps you could donate your car as a demo for some time. Then you could wait to purchase the car at a later date. Autostrada currently has a black demo. It might make no differnece to them if they sell that one now, and use yours as a demo. Make some sort of agreement such as X amount of miles per business day max, and give an estimated purchase date. Autostrada would work with you I am sure. I know that they have 90+ despoit holders, and that if you decide to flip the car, there is probably someone on the list who has not given an order to Lotus yet who might be interested. Best of luck, and sorry about your current situation.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,802 Posts
I'd talk to the dealer about holding the car a couple weeks. Explain the situation. worse case ask to switch with somone further down the list for same car options
Chris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
357 Posts
I would check out the similarly spec'd auction on Ebay and try to follow up with anyone who doesn't win it if the price commands a premium, and flip it to them.

Otherwise the list trade down is your best option if the dealer will comply.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,270 Posts
trading down the list is the safest bet, why cause yourself sleepless nights and a possible financial crisis now? Specially one that could be avoided by waiting another month or so? Once you have your job locked in get on the next boat load and get your car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,610 Posts
I think a lot of us have had life changes since we've gotten on the list may months ago. Here's a back up plan I've been keeping:

Ask your sale person if you can see the waiter list and identify possible cars that you may be interested in two to three months from now.

Then, ask your sale person to call the waiters (or offer to call them while in the dealership) to ask them if they would be interested in swapping cars with you now. While your care may not be the top of thier list, some waiters may be eager enough trade spots with you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
409 Posts
Well

Here's my plan B.

If something bad happens between now and then, my daily driver gets sold and the Elise becomes the daily driver. This would be ideal for me if I were unemployed - the need for practicality would disappear!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Trading down is probably the safest idea. However. I KNOW I want this current model. I really hate not having specific ideas about when a car might come in.

One other thing is that I had already sold my daily driver back in August. It was fine at the time as I could car pool to work, and my wife also has a car. However, I'll need a car soon no matter what.

This is going to be extremely painful if I don't get the car. I'm going to probably go down and take a look at it tomorrow.. That sound you hear is my heart breaking.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
6,819 Posts
I say you just do it. That'll give you a little motivation. Personally, I do my best work under pressure, and that is exactly what I would do. Roll the dice and figure it out.

--Josh
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
Zor, I have shared your similar fate. Back in 1984 I bought a 1968 A110 Reanult Alpine through an estate sale. I had lived in France in the early 70's and wanted one in the worst way (this weighed 1,350 lbs. and had a Renault Gordini motor and is the essence of Chapman's philosphy). In 1986 I had a partnership that went sour and was forced to sell it. Back around 1998 I saw the Elise in a Magazine (previously, I wanted an Esprit) and I said that this would be the one. I was in Scotland in 2000 and saw one in the flesh and that confirmed it. I was Number 6 at Lotus Motorsports in Waltham, MA (these guys are great, kudos to Patrick) and then was bumped to 5 because the 5th person's car was not finished. I have 3 kids in college and business is not great. At this stage, I have no business buying this car, yet there will always be something that would prevent me from buying it. I could be dead tomorrow... To make a long story short, this car has met and exceeded my expectations and replaces the car I was forced to sell. Your bailout is to sell it (as I have had to do previously) and have experienced it. If that is the case, hopefully you will have another opportunity to buy one. If not, even on the down side if you lose a couple of thousand, you will have had the chance to own a truly unique car. Yet, I have always "sailed close to the wind" which some "responsible" people will not risk. No guts, no glory....

Absolutely no regrets! :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,150 Posts
Rob-my Elise IS my daily driver. Enjoy it daily! What a great solution. You can always pick up a beater later.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,564 Posts
MHC said:
Zor, I have shared your similar fate. Back in 1984 I bought a 1968 A110 Reanult Alpine through an estate sale.
stop right there..... :drool:

:drool:




:drool:

oh man, that's the stuff.

Love that car.



ok, carry on.

re: original question: once you actually have the car, selling it should be quick. You may not make any money, but there's a very good chance you will not loose [much]. Give it a whirl.. just keep the safety net (read: ebay) near by. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,914 Posts
we all live by our own set of rules and levels of risk. personally, i wouldn't want to be in a paycheck-to-payckeck situation - especially over a car (yes, even the elise)...
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Top