The Lotus Cars Community banner

81 - 100 of 114 Posts

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
They just want to know in advance is my guess. I am #1 here with LSS on order and my car is coming late August.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I don't know what the exact coding is for the Elise, but the standard VIN number is 17 characters long, the first 12 letters indicate the manufacturer, assembly plant, engine type, year of manufacture, etc. The last five digits (or maybe just the last four) are the serial numbers for that year.

I would assume that for the US spec Elise, the first 12 (or 13) characters will all bee the same, and the last digits will be in serial number order (order of manufacture). On mine, the last five digits are "301xx", and I know that they haven't already made 30,000 of them, so the real serial number is "01xx"...

Tim Mullen

Edit: The serial number is the last four digits... See picture below...

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
How do I include a picture in the post? I have a picture from an Elise manual showing the VIN coding, but I can't figure out how to post it here...

Tim Mullen

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
TimMullen said:
How do I include a picture in the post? I have a picture from an Elise manual showing the VIN coding, but I can't figure out how to post it here...

Tim Mullen
reply to this post, and look at the screen below the reply window, below the Options, to the Attach File section.

Click on Browse, which will bring up a window displaying your hard drive...find where the picture is, double click on it, and then hit Submit Reply.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
atyclb said:
reply to this post, and look at the screen below the reply window, below the Options, to the Attach File section.

[as he slaps his hand against his forhead] Doh!

I don't know if it's still valid, but you get the idea. It's from a boot-leg copy of service manual (copied to CD) that I bought a few years ago out of courisoty. Now I'll have to get a real one for my car...

Thanks, it worked!!!:eek:

Tim Mullen

Attachments

·
Registered
5,420 Posts
Mine states:

SCC-----P------C------111------0------5----H-----L----3---0xxx
Lotus-?Toyo?-?Airbag?-Model-CheckDigi-2005-Hethel-Seats-Elise-Serial

possibly changes had to be made for the new engine and airbag

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
My VIN number is: SCCPC11185HL30xxx

--SCC-----P------C-----111-----8--------5----H--------L-------3---0xxx

Lotus-?Toyo?-?Airbag?-Model-CheckDigit-2005-Hethel-?Federal?-Elise-Serial

I would imaging that the "P" indicates the Toyota engine; the "8" is a Check Digit, and will vary for each car depending on what all the other characters are; the "L" probably indicates the US (Federal) version of the car (I suspect that the 111R has something else here). I would expect that the "C" in the "Restraint" position indicates dual air bags.

1Fast, are you sure that you have a "2" in front of the "3"? if so, then it might mean something else, like "Touring Package" (mine is base model and has the "L" in that position)...

Tim Mullen

·
Registered
5,420 Posts
TimMullen said:
My VIN number is: SCCPC11185HL30xxx

1Fast, are you sure that you have a "2" in front of the "3"? if so, then it might mean something else, like "Touring Package" (mine is base model and has the "L" in that position)...

Tim Mullen
Actually it may be an L. My handwitting was poor when i wrote it down because i wasn't expecting to get a Vin when I asked . Looking at it again I would say it's an L. I went back an corrected it.. thanks.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Correct me where I'm wrong here, but does'nt that VIN structure only allow for 9,999 units?

edit- I guess this would allow for 4 years of production at 2500 cars if it is limiting. I guess the chances of the US seeing more than 10,000 Elises before the model change is unlikely anyway.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
ekological said:
Hmmm...I have
SCCPC111X5HL30xxx

....maybe I was just shocked that I was getting the VIN and wrote down "X" incorrectly...

Chester
No, I don't think so. That character is a check digit that depends on the rest of the VIN (some algorithm generates it), and it will vary depending on the actual serial number part of it. Something I read (on the BMW site referenced above) indicated that the check "digit" is the remainder of some calculation, and can be 0-9, or "X" if the remainder is "10". So the "X" as the check digit would be okay...

I was shocked when I got the call too. Actually I had taken the day off, and was standing in Wal-Mart when the cell phone rang. I had to call Tom back and get the VIN later that day, so I was prepared then... ;)

Tim Mullen

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
_JD_ said:
Correct me where I'm wrong here, but does'nt that VIN structure only allow for 9,999 units?
The model year is in there, too, so they could start the serial numbers at 0 each year. That would allow for 9999 per model year.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
_JD_ said:
Correct me where I'm wrong here, but doesn't that VIN structure only allow for 9,999 units?
That would be 9,999 per year. The "5" after the check digit indicates the model year...

Still, though, for other makes of cars, that would be limiting - I'm sure that Honda makes more than 10,000 Accords each year. Maybe their VIN numbers eliminate the last couple of indicators and add more digits to the serial number portion - then again, maybe they can add letters to the serial "numbers" and get more that way...

Tim Mullen

81 - 100 of 114 Posts