The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:panic:

What is wrong with people? Sometime between washing the car on Sunday and changing the oil today (Wednesday) someone swiped all four of my Lotus logo valve caps.

Why does this bother me? When I left the roof off and someone stole my registration, proof of insurance, and two dollars in change I thought that was pretty petty.

OK, just had to rant. Going to go for a drive for a bit of therapy. :shift:

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...someone tried to steal my engine cover at public car show last month, ran off scared, but i still lost a screw...

·
Registered
873 Posts
Dude, what part of Manchester do you live in? Of all the years i lived in NH, never once lock the car, nevermind losing anything. But then again i was mostly driving a Chevy Pickup then... rotfl

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
watch of for lotus value caps on E-bay or craigs list and nail the guy!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dude, what part of Manchester do you live in? Of all the years i lived in NH, never once lock the car, nevermind losing anything.
Yeah, I doubt it happened here. My wife has been driving it the past few days and has been to UNH in Durham, NH, Merrimack College in Andover, MA, and Harvard in Cambridge, MA. Guess some college kid needed valve caps.

The spirited drive helped. All better!

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Some Lotus Logo valve caps have set screws, making them impossible to remove without the key. You didn't have this type?

When I had a Z3 BMW, people used to steal the valve caps all the time. I lost a number of sets. These jokers are idiots, comes from upbringing, their parent are idiots too! I want a valve cap that connects to a capacitor and shocks the sh*t out of the thief!

·
shay2nak
25,083 Posts
they stole your car's papers? WTF is that??

·
Super Moderator
5,459 Posts
Some Lotus Logo valve caps have set screws, making them impossible to remove without the key. You didn't have this type?
I have those - threw away the set screws after the first two weeks as too much hassle on my weekly tyre pressure check. Unfortunately little logos have all fallen off now anyway :(

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
well if it was in manchester i can assure you the villian was wearing a baseball cap! hahaha, never see so many baseball cap wearing dudes until everytime i am there!

·
Registered
441 Posts
Punks. Generally the motocross style bicycle punks...they think it's cool to bling their bikes with stuff like that ---happens to Porsches ALL the time, since a lot of Porsche guys think nothing of spending $20-30 for valve caps with the colored porsche crest on it.
There is a 'locking' set as pointed out---I tried this type ---more trouble than it's worth (for me).
Point taken though ---I keep a close eye on my car when I park it in public or make sure I park it where there's plenty of traffic to discourage the sticky fingers types. And I almost never park it with the top off anymore ---that alarm is too inconsistent to be relied on.
john m.

·
Stilling doing God's work
971 Posts
Hmm, that is weird. For the inside issue, when you park the car, do you roll the windows up? Seems to help, as it is not as easy to get into. Or, just carry the softtop with you in the boot, takes like 20 secs to put on, so its not that hard. Knock on wood, have not had that issue in NY or NYC.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I've had both Viper and Ferrari stem caps go missing, even some generic aluminum ones from a motorcycle. Generally neighborhood kids who want a souvenir and haven't been raised to respect other people's property.

I put 'em on with a small wrench now. Any good (rubber o-ring) cap will seal VERY tight with minimal wrench pressure, yet be next to impossible to remove with fingers. This can bite you if you need to air up somewhere and don't have tools, so keep said wrench in the car if you do.

The coolest caps evar can be had from your local friendly Lamborghini dealer for the Gallardo Superleggera. They're made of extraordinarily thin titanium and weigh next to nothing. Pretty un-blingy, too, so they tend to fly under the radar.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Litttle Basterds

That's whose doing it. I had two sets taken from off of one of my SUV's a few years back. Set up a video camera and heard and saw them one day in the morning. Caught them in the act and then called the Police. They were three boys around 13 years old. They had a club-groupee thing going and they were having a contest on seeing who could steal the most. I found out who their parents were and went over to their homes. The one boy had a Quart size Coffee Can FULL of them. Luckily their parents supported the Police and I and I got all mine back Plus Some More for good measure. They were sent to Juvenile Court for what that's worth. :shrug:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts