The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems as though people post a new thread when there is a problem or issue with their esprit which is great, and as Lotus owners we are incredibly lucky to draw from the wealth of knowledge that Esprit owners on here have!

I was just lying on the floor of my garage doing an oil change and checking to make sure that all of the vacuum hoses are attached and intact as well as just "messing around with cars" and thought that I would mention how great these cars are!

Maybe not "great" as in Honda reliability or Mitsubishi 10 year warranty, but great as in lying on your back underneath, looking at how it was built and how it is more racecar-like than road-car like (from a guy that grew up at the race track, watching Dad race old Lotuses (sp?), with the partially tubular chassis and neat bits that road cars generally don't have!

Sure they have their issues, but for a guy with a warm place to work, a half decent assortment of tools and a laptop to check out the forums there is nothing that's too far from doable if you are keen on doing it.

And yes there may be some difficult tasks, but my last project was an engine swap in a very wiring intense 2004 BMW these esprits are a dream to work on!

I lucked in (kind of!) and got my Esprit once removed from an active Lotustalk forum member who has been most helpful to me and did the car a great service during his ownership from what I can tell. I still can't believe how much positive attention the Esprit gets whenever you take it out, from people ranging in age from 5 to 80, in a "supercar" that can be had for the price of a new Hyundai!

I probably fall into the younger end of the Esprit owner spectrum, but I grew up in a Lotus family, and still have the hard cover Lotus Esprit book my parents got me for Christmas that featured the 1990 SE as the newest and greatest Esprit at the time. Pretty cool that it is sitting in my garage now!

Long story short, just thought that it should be mentioned that these are some pretty cool cars, and despite their issues here and there I don't think you can get more performance and exclusivity for buck than an Esprit.

Oh well....wife just got home with my daughter....time to be dad again!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Totally agree. They don't really have many issues when you get down to it. I mean, no more than other exotic car. In fact... less in my experience.

I have had mine more than 10 years now... and when I look into the garage it is I feel just like I did the first day I brought it home. I'd say money well spent.:D

·
Registered
151 Posts
Absolutely agree. I was just working on my Formula Vee and needing a grade 8 bolt for the new shift rod and I decided to drive down the hill to my local hardware store, about a 10 mile round trip. Even though it's raining (almost snowing) I still chose the Lotus as the mode of transport for the quick blast down the highway and back. I may have exceeded the speed limit in a couple of places :D

Why? Because it is so much fun to drive, that's the only reason. Also, I suppose that the drive is long enough to warm it up properly and charge the battery enough that it can stay off the battery charger for another day or so.

Having just gone through the process of checking and adjusting the timing belt tension 2 nights ago, I too can appreciate the engineering that went into these cars. I find it to be very reliable as well. Hasn't left me stranded yet :UK:

·
Registered
136 Posts
agreed. This is a pretty awesome forum. I have yet to see any real snobbery or snide remarks. People are pretty knowledgeable and friendly. I just spent a good 4 hrs today clay baring some more of the car. Have maybe another 2hrs left, some polishing and then final waxing. Paint feels so silky smooth and spotless. As tedious as the task is I loved every minute of it. An older neighbor (60's retired) id never met before even stopped by to talk about it. Actually knew what the car was and mentioned he wished he had the means to get one when he was growing up. I showed him some of the cool stuff with the car. He was really happy for me, said he appreciated my taste in cars and enjoyed seeing them. Pretty cool to get some positive attention. Im also on the younger end of ownership at 28.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I have found where I live, most people know nothing about the Esprit, when I run accross one that does they know more than I would have imagined. A few women I have met know something about Esprits. I think they may have seen "pretty woman".

The most popular things I hear without a doubt is "is it a submarine HA HA HA" Or "where's the Doc and the clock tower" that one kinda makes me laugh actually.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts